Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #7217
I have the same mh & have had the same problem. I also am a long time rv'r. I now use more water than I have before. Just lots of water.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:36 AM   #22

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
We have a 29.3 but it seems that the floorpans on the Thor gas chassis are all pretty similar. Our toilet appears to have a bit of a ledge too. But I also found the the bathroom sink dumps into the black water tank just to the outside wall of the bathroom. On occasion I'll fill the sink with hot water and then dump it. It helps to move the matter but not always. And you have to be careful with using fresh water when dry camping. I have discussed changing out the entire tank to a better engineered one but Thor should find a way so as to not have this problem for sure. When we have hookups, I can flush the tank using the fresh water flush and it will clear all material so as not to have it backing up into the toilet. We use a little more water (except when we dry camp) and some chemicals.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb34J View Post
We just went on our first trip with our 2017 Hurricane 34J and the toilet backed up as well. I had to use a stick and break it up to clear it. Looks like it hits a ledge then has make a 90 degree turn. I assumed we just weren't using enough water. Going to bring it up when I drop it off for warranty work.
YIKES! I'm picking up our '17 Windsport 34F tomorrow. Has there been a resolution to this problem. Does anyone have a 34F, 34J, etc. that has not had this problem? Jeez, really don't want to deal with this.

Scott, what happened when you dropped it off?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #6504
It's just really shallow in that area. Once we started using more water the problem went away. Another forum I read said that they fill the bowl for 30 sec before flushing and if it's a #2 it's followed by a second flush.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #25

THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb34J View Post
It's just really shallow in that area. Once we started using more water the problem went away. Another forum I read said that they fill the bowl for 30 sec before flushing and if it's a #2 it's followed by a second flush.
Ok, thanks. About half a bowl of water?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #26

THOR #6504
Yeah that should be fine. My old RV had a straight shot into the black tank so not using a lot of water was never an issue. Guess there all different so had to change our habits.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #27

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #4145
Our 2014 Palazzo 33.2 has the same problem. I use a gutter cleaning wand to clear the pyramid. I shove it down the toilet and blast away with lots of water. We're finding that it needs to be done periodically, and we're currently working on determining how long between these "super" flushes.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #28

THOR #7673
Well here we are on day 5 of a camping trip and I have this issue too, guess I need to find a stick....
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #29

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
2018 Ace 29.3 toliet backup issue

Just took delivery of a 2018 ACE 29.3. Experienced backup issues. Two flushes over five days...but indicator showed either 1/3 or 2/3 full after I dumped and used standard, unit installed sani-flush......Solid matter and tp kept backing up into toliet....in the end I got water level down using multiple gallons of hotnwater and Dawn. It took several treatments but the long jam at a shelf ir elbow broke through...i then emptied and the tank indicator is reading 'E' ....lesson 1) there remains a design issue on 2018..2) use more water 3) have a stick kind of thing and 4) consider a gallon or two of hot water treatment every couple of days.

A bit of a bummer but we are enjoying rest of coach so far....
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #30

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1912 View Post
Just took delivery of a 2018 ACE 29.3. Experienced backup issues. Two flushes over five days...but indicator showed either 1/3 or 2/3 full after I dumped and used standard, unit installed sani-flush......Solid matter and tp kept backing up into toliet....in the end I got water level down using multiple gallons of hotnwater and Dawn. It took several treatments but the long jam at a shelf ir elbow broke through...i then emptied and the tank indicator is reading 'E' ....lesson 1) there remains a design issue on 2018..2) use more water 3) have a stick kind of thing and 4) consider a gallon or two of hot water treatment every couple of days.

A bit of a bummer but we are enjoying rest of coach so far....
I would be pretty upset having to deal with this BS. Looks to me the units having issues have the toilet located on the passenger side which limits how far down the bottom of the black tank can be to get the flow to go to the drivers side to empty. Must have something to do with the shape of the tank. No one should have to take a stick to move crap around to empty. Looks like Thor is still shipping them with the same problem. Pretty much puts a short time limit on dry camping using so much water. Can anyone see to take a picture of the black tank or have the model number of the tank installed?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #31

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have a blockage, and it'll reach, you can use the shower handle to help move stuff along. I've used the shower handle more than once when "guests" created a plug.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #32

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
I have a 2014 Windsport 34f and have never had this problem. I am greedy with water (always). At end of each camping trip (after a visit to dump station), I pour a bag of ice down the toilet and let it slosh around on the way home. I then empty when I get home.

I know it is a mess (literally), but I would remove the toilet and run a camera equipped snake down that hole.

Good luck...let us know how this turns out.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
I have a 2014 Windsport 34f and have never had this problem. I am greedy with water (always). At end of each camping trip (after a visit to dump station), I pour a bag of ice down the toilet and let it slosh around on the way home. I then empty when I get home.

I know it is a mess (literally), but I would remove the toilet and run a camera equipped snake down that hole.

Lots of water works for us but does little to ease the irritation of such a poor design. The problem is the placement of the bathroom opposite the black water tank.
One note. The black water gauge is very susceptible to error. I found that flushing half full bowls each time does not fill the black tank as quickly as the gauge might indicate.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #34

THOR #5196
Quote:

Here is a YouTube video about using ice in the black tank.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #35

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
THOR #6507
SuperD,

Love the video!

I will keep using my ice and add more water.

I believe the ice cleans the senors. I have emptied my black tank and still have 3 red dots. By the time I get home, I have 1 or 2 red dots. Empty tank again and I have 1 red dot.

The guy in the video has several others, they are all good.

Thanks,
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #36

THOR #5196
Quote:
SuperD,

Love the video!

I will keep using my ice and add more water.

I believe the ice cleans the senors. I have emptied my black tank and still have 3 red dots. By the time I get home, I have 1 or 2 red dots. Empty tank again and I have 1 red dot.

The guy in the video has several others, they are all good.

Thanks,
That guy does do nice videos! There was certainly some money spent making the videos, that clear tank wasn't cheap to make or buy!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #37

State: South Carolina
THOR #11483
Have the same problems with 2017 35m
Old 08-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #38

THOR #14384
I have the problem as well. It is a crappy design, to say the least.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Get yourself a wand on a flexible hose, and plumb it into your toilet's water supply.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:44 AM   #40

Model: 33.1
THOR #21442
Wow doing a search on the new 2021 ACE i have. Seems like they are still using the same crappy design.
No amount of water helps. I've stood there for 5 mins with the flush pressed and it doesn't push anything down the ledge. I've even filled the bowl up and dropped it all at once.
Tried fabric softener, chemical tank additions.
I've resorted to have a metal pole i keep with me, and use when needed.
Horrible design. Hopefully I can figure out a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1621218241957.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	30568  

Tags
black tank issues, hurricane 34j, toilet clog