Thanks so much for help and feedback. Yes, there is gas in the oil. As suggested, I did smell it out and confirmed that this is the case. I had a friend come over to try and help and, in the process, the prime button again lit up, the red light near where the number of hours on the generator shows up and the red light at the generator itself all on and stuck on for a long time.
It took me awhile and I remembered that it was difficult to shut the priming thing the first time at the generator but I did move around the wire harness to the left of it and that seemed to help it shut off then. I tried that this time too and it didn't immediately shut it off but after pressing the button again it did. At another point in time, we got it to shut off when we accidentally moved the cover.
So, I am concluding, as you all have suggested (yes it's a toggle switch that you have to hold down to activate; the prime one at the dashboard) that I probably didn't "accidentally" turn it on but something is wrong with wiring or something else instead.
I'll take it to the shop along with all of the other misc items that need attention to have it repaired, under warranty.
1. We did try to see if there was a fuse to disconnect the primeing button but couldn't find it.
2. Folks have mentioned about a possible "faulty relay" and we couldn't find that either.
Do either or both of these things exist?
Oh, and we were not able to get the generator to start, needless to say