Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
12v Refrigerator

Does anyone have any "real" experience with 12v refrigerators and specifically the Everchill brand.

Please don't hijack my thread with opinions as to why it's a waste of money, why it's a bad idea, or how you been using a homemade setup for 64 years, or how it harms the environment, etc. I really only want to hear from voices of experience. If that sounds harsh I apologize, just tired of reading all the BS that people post because they have an opinion and hijacks it to the land of unanswered.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have never had an Everchill, but I have owned lots of boats with 12V compressor fridges.

The specs for Everchill really bother me. They say noting about the type of compressor- Danfoss is the gold standard and say nothing about amperage draw, although that is a somewhat meaningless spec because total amp hour draw for a day depends on outside air temp, cold setting, how many times you open the door, putting warm food inside, using the frost free capability, etc.

But on average a 12V Danfoss compressor fridge will use 50 amp hours daily for a 6 cu ft, 75 amp hours for a 10 cu ft, and another 20 amphours if you use the frost free capability. Like I said the Danfoss is the gold standard and this fridge will likely use more because it says nothing about the compressor.

David
Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Is this the one???
It lists 2.5 amps rated current

Many of the new Thor models come with 12v fridge’s (vs propane/120 volt)
So I’ll wait to hear from someone with experience.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...-bcd280wev804f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6F525E6-E2B8-4C93-9AC5-8A5319046699.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	32211   Click image for larger version

Name:	74F92D21-EA37-43BC-887F-5865D9C4F8A9.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	32212  

Old 07-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #4

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
I'm not sure if thats the exact model, but no happy reviews on that link with the Everchill brand.

As far as Danfoss compressors being the standard, how can you tell what brand of compressor any 12v fridge has?

Does anyone currently have a 12v refrigerator any brand/model they use and would recommend ?

Thanks for the information it is very much appreciated.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #5

Brand: Airstream
State: Alberta
THOR #24702
I purchased this refrigerator brand last December. Even though I have only taken 2 trips so far, the refrigerator has no issues. When I'm not on travel, I plug the unit into my 50 to 30 A pedestals at home and it works 24/7. I normally lower the temperature setting so that the refrigerator doesn't need to work as hard. So mine has been running for nine months now. Anyway, I'm searching for good quality and affordable glass door commercial display fridge for my personal use. My wife likes to see the items inside the fridge without opening it. She says she is tired of stuffing into the fridge blindly. One of my cousins has suggested a display fridge from his experience. But I need more opinions for true comparisons. Can anyone recommend some?
Old 09-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #6

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
Does anyone have any "real" experience with 12v refrigerators and specifically the Everchill brand.

Please don't hijack my thread with opinions as to why it's a waste of money, why it's a bad idea, or how you been using a homemade setup for 64 years, or how it harms the environment, etc. I really only want to hear from voices of experience. If that sounds harsh I apologize, just tired of reading all the BS that people post because they have an opinion and hijacks it to the land of unanswered.
Ok..
Old 09-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I owned an Engel chest fridge/freezer once that I installed in my 27’ boat.
Was 12v or 120v
I used nearly 100% on 12v

It worked great and seemed to use very little juice, 1-2 amps per hr
It had a small “swing motor compressor” that sounded like a quiet singe piston that cycled on and off as needed

It could freeze everything if desired
Or turn way way down for fridge

The only negative was the 22qt size, very small storage space inside the box but enough for a weekend

Engel now has small “dorm style” front opening units (60qts) that run at .7-2.8 amp hrs
And they have an auto transfer for 12v to 120v and back