Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2022, 06:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Utah
THOR #19114
Adding a second Automatic Transfer Switch

My Class C motorhome came with an onboard 4000W generator and a Progressive Dynamic ATS to the WFCO Converter that will charge my flood acid battery.

Recently, I bought a Bluetti 2000W AC200Max that has a 30A outlet. I am keeping my house battery since I don't want to deal with new set of converter, inverter, dc-to-dc charger, etc. on lithium batteries upgrade.

With Bluetti, it's all-in-one and I plan to take it with me if I were to upgrade to another RV. I will be charging the Bluetti with shore power or onboard generator. Therefore, I plan to add a second ATS.

See attachment on wiring plan. Will this work? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WINWORD_2022-04-30_00-34-44.png
Views:	238
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	37216  

Old 04-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpan View Post
My Class C motorhome came with an onboard 4000W generator and a Progressive Dynamic ATS to the WFCO Converter that will charge my flood acid battery.

Recently, I bought a Bluetti 2000W AC200Max that has a 30A outlet. I am keeping my house battery since I don't want to deal with new set of converter, inverter, dc-to-dc charger, etc. on lithium batteries upgrade.

With Bluetti, it's all-in-one and I plan to take it with me if I were to upgrade to another RV. I will be charging the Bluetti with shore power or onboard generator. Therefore, I plan to add a second ATS.

See attachment on wiring plan. Will this work? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
Considering your planned setup I would place the second transfer switch between the original transfer switch and the generator. It would be best not to use the generator and the Bluetti Inverter at the same time. You could place the second transfer switch such that it would default to the Bluetti and if the generator was turned on the Bluetti would drop out and the original transfer switch would be fed by the generator. If the generator was off the original transfer switch would be fed by the Bluetti inverter. If shore power is connected the original transfer switch would energize there by disconnecting both the Bluetti and the generator. If shore power drops out the Bluetti would be powering the coach unless the generator was started. When the generator is running you could charge the Bluetti from one of the duplex outlets.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It's a power station. Plug the MH into it when you want it to power the RV. Plug it into an AC outlet in the RV when you want to charge it. Why bother with another ATS?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #13982
Exactly, just plug your RV into the power station, when you need it.
I have been doing that with my eco-flow P.S. for a while now with no problem.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
This is how I added my inverter and second transfer switch.

The original transfer switch (#1) output to main circuits was moved to the #2 transfer switch and a jumper installed between #1 and #2 switch.

I connected new inverter to the input of #2 switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dual transfer switches.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	37217  
Old 04-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #6

THOR #19114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Considering your planned setup I would place the second transfer switch between the original transfer switch and the generator. It would be best not to use the generator and the Bluetti Inverter at the same time. You could place the second transfer switch such that it would default to the Bluetti and if the generator was turned on the Bluetti would drop out and the original transfer switch would be fed by the generator. If the generator was off the original transfer switch would be fed by the Bluetti inverter. If shore power is connected the original transfer switch would energize there by disconnecting both the Bluetti and the generator. If shore power drops out the Bluetti would be powering the coach unless the generator was started. When the generator is running you could charge the Bluetti from one of the duplex outlets.
Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am guessing your arrangement would look like "Configuration 2" in the attachment. I can see that duplex outlet will be connected to the AC panel. This would mean that the outlet will always be ON regardless of power source. I would only plug in the charger when I need to charge the Bluetti.

I am sorry that I was not clear earlier. I have added more information to my original plan. See "Configuration 1" in the attachment. The new Go Power ATS TS-30 comes with a "charger" port, whereby it will on turn on when shore power is live. I learned about this feature from Brian @ Tito RV

So, my thought here was that if I get power from the original transfer switch (TS), Bluetti will be OFF and getting charge from either Grid or GEN. If the original TS OFF, I will be drawing power from Bluetti without charging itself.

I hope this clear things out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WINWORD_2022-04-30_12-55-30.png
Views:	111
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	37226   Click image for larger version

Name:	WINWORD_2022-04-30_12-55-47.png
Views:	97
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	37227  

Old 04-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #7

THOR #19114
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkjr View Post
Exactly, just plug your RV into the power station, when you need it.
I have been doing that with my eco-flow P.S. for a while now with no problem.
Hi 16ACE27 & edkjr,

Yeah... I was trying to avoid having a dangling cable to my exterior 30A inlet while on the move. So, I wanted to add a new interior inlet but wanting to avoid having both power from the Grid and Bluetti at the same time by accident.

I was thinking of having some kind of manual transfer switch between exterior and interior inlet. Since I am doing the mod, why mind as well come up with a better solution and that's where I land...
Old 04-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #8

THOR #19114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-21-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post

The original transfer switch (#1) output to main circuits was moved to the #2 transfer switch and a jumper installed between #1 and #2 switch.

I connected new inverter to the input of #2 switch.
Boy I wish this would be that easy. I am waiting on delivery of the same Bluetti, AC200Max unit. I have the Chateau, model 28Z and the inverter is jammed under the bed along with the fresh water, water pump and loads of wiring. NO extra room for anything.
Going to cut out and install a 6 inch square side doorway to bring in/out a 30 amp cable to plug into the RV. But I also would like to be able to use the Bluetti while driving if needed.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #21412
Is the charging outlet for the Bluetti coming from somewhere outside the RV power distribution? If not the power from the Bluetti would be trying to 'recharge' the Bluetti? Might want that outlet 'upstream' of the second transfer switch so it would charge only when other sources are 'on'.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:34 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Boy I wish this would be that easy. I am waiting on delivery of the same Bluetti, AC200Max unit. I have the Chateau, model 28Z and the inverter is jammed under the bed along with the fresh water, water pump and loads of wiring. NO extra room for anything.
Going to cut out and install a 6 inch square side doorway to bring in/out a 30 amp cable to plug into the RV. But I also would like to be able to use the Bluetti while driving if needed.
Xanterx makes an external transfer switch (15 amps @120 volts) for any inverter without one. Plug into the inverter and splice the other wires into the circuit you want to power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019_0113(004).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	41274  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Xanterx makes an external transfer switch (15 amps @120 volts) for any inverter without one. Plug into the inverter and splice the other wires into the circuit you want to power.
That's what I used in my install to replace my manual transfer switch. Works effortlessly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:57 AM   #13
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeyet View Post
Is the charging outlet for the Bluetti coming from somewhere outside the RV power distribution? If not the power from the Bluetti would be trying to 'recharge' the Bluetti? Might want that outlet 'upstream' of the second transfer switch so it would charge only when other sources are 'on'.
No. Bluetti will be plugged into the existing exterior 30 amp outlet. One of the ways to recharge the Bluetti, is to be plugged into a 120 wall outlet with the included AC adapter to begin recharging. I am adding 600 watts of solar on the roof to recharge the Bluetti. That's if I can get a solar panels delivered with being damaged. Ordered 3, 200 watt panels and so far I returned 2 of the 4 and ordered 2 more and then had to return those 2. Amazon is sending them by way of USPS and they are just tossing them around.

Sorry it took so long to answer.