Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
dual transfer switch

is it possible to have 2 automatic transfer switches within the same circuit?

Presently i have an automatic transfer switch between the generator and shore power, and a manual switch between those circuits and the inverter, then to main panel.

i would like it to be automatic in both cases. thoughts?

i will post this on 2 other sites just in case you might see my question there also.

Tim

Old 10-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes it is possible to have another ATS for the inverter to power limited circuits. The inverter can not power the entire AC system automatically unless it is an inverter/charger and there is no other converter or charger.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:28 PM   #3

THOR #1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yes it is possible to have another ATS for the inverter to power limited circuits. The inverter can not power the entire AC system automatically unless it is an inverter/charger and there is no other converter or charger.

It is and the other DC charger was disconnected. It does handle all ac, including the a/c unit. I just wasn't sure if it was possible to use 2 transfer switches. Thank you for your answer. It helps.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:31 AM   #4

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #22774
Inverter Install

Yes, you can have a second ATS.
Downstream from the main ATS that switches between shore power and generator I installed a second ATS which powers TWO circuits which I pulled out of the main breaker box. I just completed this installation on my AXIS which allows me to power the wall outlets off the coach batteries. My wife can watch TV and I can maintain my morning breakfast routine without firing up the generator when boondocking. The secondary ATS and circuit breakers are installed in a box under the bed (see Picture). The inverter is installed in storage compartment left of the steps close to the batteries. The PDF shows the before/after schematic.

RV Electrical Mods_10252022.pdf

Note: When testing everything after completion, I discovered 'open' ground on the GFCI outlets when powered by the inverter. After some research I learned that this floating neutral is common with inverters and generators. The fix was simple. As there are two 15amp outlets on the inverter I simply installed a 'modified' plug in the unused outlet. The modified plug has the ground & neutral connected together. Now all good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1184.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	39974  
Old 10-31-2022, 06:31 AM   #5

Model: Compass 23TW
State: Nevada
THOR #28284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
Note: When testing everything after completion, I discovered 'open' ground on the GFCI outlets when powered by the inverter. After some research I learned that this floating neutral is common with inverters and generators. The fix was simple. As there are two 15amp outlets on the inverter I simply installed a 'modified' plug in the unused outlet. The modified plug has the ground & neutral connected together. Now all good.
I have a small utility trailer set up as a solar electric generator (960 Watts of panels, 3000 Watt inverter, and batteries). When I first plugged my 2023 Compass 23TW into the inverter, the automatic transfer switch would not let it power the Compass due to an “open ground”. As Big R notes, the modified plug with the ground and neutral connected is the easiest cure.

BTW I made the solar trailer as a emergency power source for the home but so far it has only been used for camping. In addition to the solar system, it is a toy box that holds 2 bikes, golf clubs, and an inflatable kayak.

Jim
LeSharo ‘85
Soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:04 AM   #6

THOR #1069
thanks for your answers everyone. i decided to add the second switch.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Michigan
THOR #21624
I added a 2nd ATS also. I did this because I installed an inverter and wanted my system to automatically provide power to outlets/appliances from whatever source is present (shore, generator, or inverter). It works! I created a schematic of my wiring. See below.

ATS#1 sources are shore and generator. In this configuration if the ATS reads power from both, it will put priority on the gen.

ATS#2 sources are shore/gen and inverter, and puts priority on shore/gen if both are read. You want this config to; avoid using your batteries, wasting gas, or missing out on free power.

You will notice the converter is connected to the same terminal as the shore/gen source in #2. This ensures you are charging your battery(ies) with shore/gen power AND NOT your inverter. THIS IS IMPORTANT as you will drain your battery(ies) if they are sending power to the converter...to charge your battery(ies) lol. Don't forget to put a 15A fuse on that circuit also.

Hopefully your ATSs will be close to your converter and Distribution Panel and you won't have to get creative on figuring out how to snake wires around your RV. Keeping them inside helps keep them protected. Good luck!

ATS: https://gopowersolar.com/products/30...ansfer-switch/

Fuse: Cooper Bussmann BP/FNM-15 125-volt Type FNM Time Delay Cartridge Midget Fuse, 2 Pack

Fuse holder: Littelfuse L60030M-1SQ Fuse Block T67495
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS Schematic.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	40438  
tuchmybuttercups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:48 PM   #8

THOR #1069
Yes that's what i'm looking to do. I HAD DISCONNECTED THE MH Converter/charger, i didn't think i could still use it. Thats would be nice to have as a back up when there isn't enough sun. Only other way to charge house batteries when no sun was to run engine. Thank you!!