Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26284
inverter install

Test to see if this works hopefully a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220329_174605250_HDR(2).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	36691  

Old 03-30-2022, 02:26 PM   #2

THOR #26284
Okay that was fun to figure out. This is under the kitchen sink in our 25.2 Axis 2018. I removed the back and false bottom and redid the drain line, moved water lines and wires close to consolidate the space. I screwed a 1/2" plywood to the existing wall and installed the new Rorbatt inverter from Amazon to it at an angle since it wouldn't fit any other way. I installed a battery cut off switch on the positive side to the inverter to so it wouldn't drain the batteries when not in use. Manual said .6amps when not in use. I made a wire to go from inverter power out plug to new outlet next to original outlet at end of counter in stair way into home.

This to power TV over the entrance door which I installed on a full motion mount so you can view it while sitting on the coach. This way we don't need to run generator just to watch TV and can use for other things as well.

Hope the picture isin't confusing. Ed
Old 03-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's a pretty robust inverter to just run a TV... are you planning on expanding usage to other things?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Can't you use the remote control to turn it off? Should be 0 amps draw when off.

Fusible link or DC breaker in the line from the batteries?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:55 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Can't you use the remote control to turn it off? Should be 0 amps draw when off.

Looks like a nice and capable inverter.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Nice job, I heard thor was hiring.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:06 AM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Nice job, I heard thor was hiring.
Terry
Scubawise is collecting tools if you need any.

Seriously... this install is very nice! Exactly what I'm looking into. I'm gonna cheap out a little though and likely only go with 1,000 watts. But I like your thinking about "room to expand".
Old 03-31-2022, 06:59 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:

An inverter connected to batteries draws power even when selected OFF. The bigger the inverter, the more power it consumes just idling (OFF and connected to batteries).

My 1500 watt has a no load current draw of 1.1 amps. The 2000 watt version is 1.4 amps no load.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:21 PM   #9

THOR #26284
I figured the draw when not in use was with it turned off. So the battery dicounnect was a safe way of eliminating any power to the inverter. I had it in my spare parts box for the race car since it is a common part on a race car to allow the corner workers to turn off the electrical system if the car is in an accident.

As for working for Thor, do I get to keep the tools or do I have to leave them in the unit at the end of each day?

The answer to possible using the inverter for other things, yes, that is why I got the larger capacity. I will work on things in steps instead of attempting everything at once.

I had noticed thorough the grill under the fridge, that a flex hose was off, so re attached that and noticed the electric panel seemed to be coming away from the wall on one side and it was so repaired that as well. Also with the grill off I noticed or found that relay I saw someone talk about before, trombone? It was attached to the floor which I guess was to be close to the panel, which was in a plastic box instead of metal, never have seen that before.

Ed
Old 03-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Curious about air movement for cooling, especially as you add load

Mine has a fan controlled by a 110f snap disk
Old 03-31-2022, 05:23 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
An inverter connected to batteries draws power even when selected OFF. The bigger the inverter, the more power it consumes just idling (OFF and connected to batteries).

My 1500 watt has a no load current draw of 1.1 amps. The 2000 watt version is 1.4 amps no load.
No load current (idling) and an inverter turned OFF are not the same thing. An inverter turned OFF draws no current as it has no DC input in the OFF condition.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #12

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
1500/3000 novopal inverter install

I did a similar install on my Daybreak 22GOc. I have three dedicated inverter AC outlets, with the option for one more from my 1500/3000W unit. I'm thinking about using the 4th outlet to the gas/electric fridge to use when in high altitude on electric rather than gas. The three existing inverter AC outputs have outlets for the TV/DVD/DishReceiver, near the dinette, and near the bed. These tend to be used for usb chargers a lot [grandkids] and watching TV while moving. I have brown face plates for the shorepower/generator outlets and white faceplates for the inverter outlets.

Attached is a diagram showing my DC modifications to the Thor coach DC diagram. The small numbers by the wires is the gage .

The physical location of the inverter is under the cabinets/fridge in a chase where the cold/hot /waste plumbing runs. The inverter is approximately 7 ft from the dual coach batteries.

I have also added two outlets to the shorepower AC ground fault circuit.

JC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inverter DC wireing 2020Thor-22GOC.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	36876  
Old 04-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #13

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
This is becoming a very popular modification. Pretty much follows your schematic above. I have a picture of my 1000W inverter installed right over the batteries in the battery compartment, this provides short DC pwr cable runs.

I install the inverter and 200 Amp Fuse to the lower surface of the floor. I then route the wire to an additional plug under the table, the plug on the right is the factory AC plug. I then have a refrigerator switch back at the pwr center. i can select shore pwr or inverter to run refrig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-04-10_17-15-34.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	36880   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-10_17-15-58.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	36881  

Name:	2022-04-10_17-16-17.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	36882   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-10_17-16-48.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	36883  

Old 04-10-2022, 10:54 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Scubawise is collecting tools if you need any.

Seriously... this install is very nice! Exactly what I'm looking into. I'm gonna cheap out a little though and likely only go with 1,000 watts. But I like your thinking about "room to expand".
I threw the tool away funny
Old 04-10-2022, 10:55 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed FV racer View Post
Okay that was fun to figure out. This is under the kitchen sink in our 25.2 Axis 2018. I removed the back and false bottom and redid the drain line, moved water lines and wires close to consolidate the space. I screwed a 1/2" plywood to the existing wall and installed the new Rorbatt inverter from Amazon to it at an angle since it wouldn't fit any other way. I installed a battery cut off switch on the positive side to the inverter to so it wouldn't drain the batteries when not in use. Manual said .6amps when not in use. I made a wire to go from inverter power out plug to new outlet next to original outlet at end of counter in stair way into home.

This to power TV over the entrance door which I installed on a full motion mount so you can view it while sitting on the coach. This way we don't need to run generator just to watch TV and can use for other things as well.

Hope the picture isin't confusing. Ed
Great job! If you can wire other needed items..we did all tv ..outlets..microwave and solar recharges vmax batteries
Old 04-10-2022, 11:48 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Exactly what I'm looking into. I'm gonna cheap out a little though and likely only go with 1,000 watts. But I like your thinking about "room to expand".
Did you buy anything yet? Since you asked me what I think I feel compelled to offer up some advise.

I have 1,000 watt Magnum Dynamics and never come close to using the 1,000 watts. But no hair dryer, and no need to run microwave unless shorepower or genny is runny. However if I was installing new or if my 1,000 watt unit dies, I will buy the Magnum Dynamics 2000 as it is is plug and play solution, the gauge wiring I have supports the 2,000 watts.

OP has 4000 watts, that is a lot How many batteries would he need just to sniff 3000 watts? I also can't tell the gauge but I hope the wiring is rated to handle 30 plus amps vac and input DC current could be as high 360 plus should he ever expands?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:12 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
No load current (idling) and an inverter turned OFF are not the same thing. An inverter turned OFF draws no current as it has no DC input in the OFF condition.
If you were not right, I would have drained down my batteries many times.

When my Inverter is off, nothing is happening. I can turn off with remote switch or directly on unit as it has it's own on and off. When it is on, it tells you EXACTLY what the battery draw is in watts and amps.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 02:23 AM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Did you buy anything yet? Since you asked me what I think I feel compelled to offer up some advise.

I have 1,000 watt Magnum Dynamics and never come close to using the 1,000 watts. But no hair dryer, and no need to run microwave unless shorepower or genny is runny. However if I was installing new or if my 1,000 watt unit dies, I will buy the Magnum Dynamics 2000 as it is is plug and play solution, the gauge wiring I have supports the 2,000 watts.

OP has 4000 watts, that is a lot How many batteries would he need just to sniff 3000 watts? I also can't tell the gauge but I hope the wiring is rated to handle 30 plus amps vac and input DC current could be as high 360 plus should he ever expands?
Currently working on installing the cab seat swivel bases. Got the portable LED projector/Fire Stick. Making a small homemade projector screen from white "blackout" cloth. Next step is planning the inverter... just need for projector and reefer. Anything more I'll use the genny, or of course shore power.

I'll need to configure 3 outlets... one each near dinette, bedroom and refrigerator. I like the manual switch idea for the refrigerator... I just need to think it through and draw it up on paper. But I'm thinking anything beyond 1,000 watts is overkill in my case.

I have no other need other than stated for inverted AC... any upgrades will likely be to battery capacity/type. (hint hint )
Old 04-11-2022, 02:28 AM   #19

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:

If the remote is used to turn the inverter back "ON", then it has to be using some power to 'listen' for the command from the remote. How much that power is, I dunno... same process as remote controlled TVs.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:44 AM   #20

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
If the remote is used to turn the inverter back "ON", then it has to be using some power to 'listen' for the command from the remote. How much that power is, I dunno... same process as remote controlled TVs.
This "remote" must be a radio or infrared remote control which switches a hot internal power supply?

Otherwise, as stated, a HARD WIRED "remote" acts as a circuit breaker... physically disconnecting ALL DC POWER to the inverter. Which means it's completely disconnected, and impossible for it to be consuming power. Just like a properly wired battery disconnect switch would work.