Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Jensen JRV-212 Upgrade

I'll put this here in its own thread instead of hijacking someone else's!
Here I'll document my trials and tribulations of attempting to upgrade my Jensen JRV-212t to the JRV-215n. For reference here is the link to the 212:
JENSEN AM/FM/CD/USB/WB/iPod & SIRIUS Ready Stereo
and here is the link to the 215:
JENSEN JRV215N AM/FM/DVD/USB/SXM Bluetooth® stereo with navigation
Doing this upgrade will get you:
  • iGO GPS Navigation
  • Bluetooth connectivity to your phone
  • Weather radio
  • IR Wireless remote capability
  • USB music playback
The only place I've been able to find the 215 online is here:
Jensen Stereo, AM/FM/CD/USB/BT/iPOD/Sirius/Navi
The owners manual for the 215 can be downloaded from here if you want to do some research:
http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/do...ers_manual.pdf
One thing to note: on page 9 (the wiring diagram) they show a pigtail (part 31300152) detailed as "Sold Separately". I've located two possible sources for that pigtail (one on Amazon and one on eBay). I'm waiting for my 215 to arrive before figuring out which one to use (when I do I'll put a link in this thread to the one I purchased).
In the meantime, I've removed the 212 in the Axis in preparation for the 215:

I haven't removed the collar that the radio slides into because I'm hoping the 215 will slide right in like it belongs there.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
They don't supply the wiring harness when you buy the Stereo? That is strange.

I'd like to replace my JRV212, but I cannot see replacing it with another Jensen.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1460
Thumbs up

I have the 215N and have been using it for 2 months now, no issues with it and it was compatible with my cameras. I went through 2 212's first, this radio is much better. Even the music sounds better with its equalizer feature. Enjoy the radio.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
You might be able to buy a wiring harness directly from Jensen.

I bought a 31300006 adapter cable from them a year ago (converts the Jenson male camera connector to RCA jacks) so that I can test different setups with the camera hooked up to a different stereo system, and I have to say, they sent the part in a couple of days.

They also sent me a set of removal tools for the asking. So at least their customer service/ordering department seems pretty good.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
You might be able to buy a wiring harness directly from Jensen.
But that would require a phone call! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
I cannot see replacing it with another Jensen.
I thought about replacing it with something like the Pioneer NEX 8100:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-8100NEX
but that guy is more than 2x the cost of the Jensen and doesn't have the 3 camera input (I didn't really want to add an extra switch).

aero77: When they put your 215 in where did they put the GPS antenna? Did they mount it on the roof?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
for what its worth, the pioneer that came form thor factory in my coach I don't like at all.

The soft key menu structure and lack of sufficient hard buttons makes it very difficult to use.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
One of the external switches I saw was actually a 4 way switch (left, right, rear, and front).

I thought it would be cool to put a camera on the roof so as to check for clearances. I had a problem last summer pulling out of a spot that had a overhanging tree limb, and I almost hit the top of the coach when pulling out.

I have not narrowed down any brand yet; just thinking out loud.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
One of the external switches I saw was actually a 4 way switch (left, right, rear, and front).

I thought it would be cool to put a camera on the roof so as to check for clearances. I had a problem last summer pulling out of a spot that had a overhanging tree limb, and I almost hit the top of the coach when pulling out.

I have not narrowed down any brand yet; just thinking out loud.
I've had a similar idea..... seems like a cool idea, but I figure just a standard camera might be misleading.
it would have to be installed perfectly level with the roof
but then driving on a slope would give you misleading perspectives
seems like you would need a cross-hair of sorts to help orient the picture

Surprised something's not on the market already
Old 02-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
You could probably angle the camera so that the top edge of the viewed photo is the roof clearance +12" at the front grille... or something like that.

So when the front grille is in-line with the obstacle, if you see it - it's less than 12" clearance.

Of course, that only works when you are moving slow - not fast.

But I only have one camera... hope to add left/right cameras this year.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
To bring this thread back to the Jensen installation, I hinted above that I bought an adapter cable to work with the Jenson camera connectors that fit the back of the Jensen units.

There are actually two adapter cables available. One that adapts the Jensen plug cameras to Audio/Video DC power leads, and one to adapt a standard video camera to the Jenson plug which allows the Jensen receiver to work with many 3rd party cameras.

...if you don't already have a 3 camera system, the adapter cables allow you to use less expensive (i.e. non Jensen) cameras - as long as the resolution etc. is compatible.

Adapter (31300006) for Jensen camera to non-jensen monitor.

Adapter (31100004) for 3rd party cameras to connect to Jensen receivers. This will not allow the Jensen receiver to power the camera, so separate power is required. So you'd have to parallel the power leads to the ignition switched power lead of the receiver.

As stated, I bought a 3130006 adapter last year for an "exploratory" project. I bought it directly from Jensen (http://www.jensenrvdirect.com). I have not tried it yet, but my initial thought was to hook up the backup camera to my Garmin RV760 GPS, but other projects kind of got in the way.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #11

THOR #1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
But that would require a phone call! LOL

I thought about replacing it with something like the Pioneer NEX 8100:
AVIC-8100NEX - <b>NEW!</b> - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7” WVGA Capacitive Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA
but that guy is more than 2x the cost of the Jensen and doesn't have the 3 camera input (I didn't really want to add an extra switch).

aero77: When they put your 215 in where did they put the GPS antenna? Did they mount it on the roof?
THe GPS antenna is inside the coach on top dash. I will see if I can attach pic of set up. The BT microphone next to it as well.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero77
THe GPS antenna is inside the coach on top dash. I will see if I can attach pic of set up. The BT microphone next to it as well.
How well does each work? (Does the BT microphone pick up a lot of engine noise?)
When I was at our unit I figured out that I could put the GPS antenna at the very front of the dash (provided there is enough cable) and the BT microphone I'll probably put close to the steering column (want to get it up and away from the doghouse).
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
When I got home from work today there was a suspicious looking box on the front porch (and not one that the security guys at the airport would be investigating/detonating! ).
The guys at the RV Parts store (link at the beginning of the thread) told me it would be at least 14 days before I even got a notification that it was shipped. Well here it is about 7 days later and:

And what do you know it contains the 31300152 harness:

Here is whats in the box:

Lots of stuff including a remote control.

I have a nifty cigarette lighter adapter with screw terminals so tonight I'll do a hack with the 215 and drive my car around with it powered off the cigarette lighter.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #14

THOR #1460
Quote:
How well does each work? (Does the BT microphone pick up a lot of engine noise?)
When I was at our unit I figured out that I could put the GPS antenna at the very front of the dash (provided there is enough cable) and the BT microphone I'll probably put close to the steering column (want to get it up and away from the doghouse).
I have the antenna on top dash inside coach, just forward of radio. No need to install it on roof. I do not have it by the defrosters and it works great, no loss of GPS nav signal or radio reception. I do not have the XM antenna connected though. I put the BT mic on the right side of drivers steering column. People tell me they hear me fine, and they come through the speakers fine as well. I have had no issues with the 215N since I have had it 2 months ago. The GPS has some cool features in it as well, and I am still messing around with it and learning new things all the time. It still has the NOAA features, camera's with music in background except when in reverse, remote control, and much more. The 212 was not user friendly at all, but this one is easy to operate right out the box.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
The 212 was not user friendly at all, but this one is easy to operate right out the box.
I have to agree: I just spent the last half hour or so driving around in my car with the 215 plugged into the cigarette lighter. A few observations:
  • Its very cool compared to the 212--well ok not useful but:
  • The Nav feature is very fast. Much faster than Ford's MyFord Touch. Recalculates very quickly when you go off route (don't know if its yelling at me since I didn't have speakers connected)
  • You have to connect the "brake" wire to ground (or a switch to ground for the parking brake) if you want to be able to play DVDs
  • No more setting the clock: Just leave it set to "use nav clock" (uses the GPS)
  • There is a screen where you can keep track of your fillups and odometer settings to track miles per gallon
  • There is another screen that you can setup with your maintenance schedule
  • The GPS is very quick to sync up and it doesn't really care where the antenna is (it fell off my dash onto the floor of the car and it was still able to track my location). (I'm not really concerned about this anyway since the Axis front is all fiberglass and won't block any GPS signals)
Didn't really play with any of the bluetooth features as my phone would probably have got confused attempting to sync to both the 215 and my car at the same time.
Looking forward to putting this into the RV (most likely this weekend).
Old 02-10-2015, 12:22 AM   #16

THOR #1460
One thing I forgot to mention, the GPS data base for the 215 has the speed limit function with it. If you go over the speed limit by 1 or 2 MPH it will lower the music and advise (complain) that "You are over the speed limit." Some people might love or hate this feature. I have not found a way to disable this feature yet.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:39 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention, the GPS data base for the 215 has the speed limit function with it. If you go over the speed limit by 1 or 2 MPH it will lower the music and advise (complain) that "You are over the speed limit." Some people might love or hate this feature. I have not found a way to disable this feature yet.
I noticed this: If you're over the limit it shows a red speed limit sign (with the road's current speed limit) on the bottom left of the Nav display.

I don't think we'll mind this too much: How often do you exceed the speed limit in the RV anyway.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #18

THOR #1460
[QUOTE=aero77;7048]I have the antenna on top dash inside coach, just forward of radio. No need to install it on roof. I do not have it by the defrosters and it works great, no loss of GPS nav signal or radio reception.

This is my set up , sorry for the sideways picture, it was straight on the computer. Blue tooth mic on the left side of radio.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Update: Spent a couple of hours carefully rewiring the dash for the 215. Pulled out the 212's collar and put in the 215.
Started testing everything:
  • AM/FM Radio works
  • DVD Works
  • Bluetooth audio works
  • Navigation works
Time to call someone over bluetooth. For the first call they couldn't hear me. Looking closely at the microphone connector it appears its oriented wrong so I turn it and call someone else.
As soon as they answer *poof* a fuse blows and now the radio has no power. sigh
Anyone know where the fuse is for the front radio? (It isn't in the converter panel as all those fuses were good.) (I've also sent of a note to Thor asking this question as well.)

I'm suspecting its one of the mini-fuses under the dash but I can't determine which one from the E-350 stripped chassis manual:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_03_2014.pdf
Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #20

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
It isn't likely that using the microphone would blow the radio fuse.

According to the Axis/Vegas wiring diagram (see post 153, page 8, Axis/Vegas Mods) there is a sub panel containing three fuses, one of which is the fuse for the radio. I have no idea where the box is located. It is identified as "12 volt at front distribution box".

Bruce

Quote:
As soon as they answer *poof* a fuse blows and now the radio has no power. sigh
Anyone know where the fuse is for the front radio? (It isn't in the converter panel as all those fuses were good.) (I've also sent of a note to Thor asking this question as well.)