RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #4421
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Jerry, are you going to have to remove the cover every time you want to exercise the generator?
__________________

__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #4422
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Jerry, are you going to have to remove the cover every time you want to exercise the generator?
Was thinking about that last night. Can't run ac with cover on Gen needs to run with a load. So maybe I'll plug in a hair dryer or heat gun. My EMS will tell me the amp pulled. Not sure how many amps. 12 to 15 I'm guessing. Thata about what the ac pulls

Jerry
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #4423
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Was thinking about that last night. Can't run ac with cover on Gen needs to run with a load. So maybe I'll plug in a hair dryer or heat gun. My EMS will tell me the amp pulled. Not sure how many amps. 12 to 15 I'm guessing. Thata about what the ac pulls

Jerry


Maybe the hot water heater?
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #4424
Senior Member
 
DenverTransplant's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
Posts: 388
THOR #5190
I have a 1500 watt space heater that I plug in for the load. Of course most of the time when I'm exercising the generator I'm in storage during the winter and actually need the heat. If the weather is warm, you can aways plug the heater into the exterior outlet.

While in storage, I also run the ACE's engine with the heat on fully so I get circulation through the heater core. With the engine heater and the space heater it can get real toasty even when it's winter outside.
__________________
Rick
2017 Thor ACE 30.1
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #4425
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 2,891
THOR #13932
You use a milk crate wedged(or sat on one of those foldable footstool) between the cover and the generator door to act as an air cushion and plug a 1500w $12 milk house heater into an exterior outlet. The heater and stool stores in the milk crate. Or use a green fiberglas landscape pole to lift the cover high enough to suit you. (I used a crate)
The milk crate lives on the ground under the generator.
It's a solid one minute to set up and another to dismantle.

I also had a handy dandy crane that attached to my ladder. It allowed me to get the cover on the roof by myself.
I can't exactly tell by the picture you posted, but a harbor freight $100 truck crane might fit on the eave of your house.....

I hated it all... Every second of wrestling that 200lb bear, determined to trip and engulf me, 12 ft off the ground, while blindly dodging the vents and solar and ac and antennas.

If you have anything sharp, corners on solar, a poking bolt, the winds in the first month will shred your cover. I had to make silicone(fifty percent type one silicone and fifty percent cornstarch. Mix well. It hardens to a shoe sole hardness) ) corners and caps for EVERYTHING. Luckily we owned a 33inch throat sail making singer. 10,000 stitches and fifteen sewn in pads later, it STILL tried to whoop me every time I covered/uncovered.
__________________
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #4426
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You use a milk crate wedged(or sat on one of those foldable footstool) between the cover and the generator door to act as an air cushion and plug a 1500w $12 milk house heater into an exterior outlet. The heater and stool stores in the milk crate. Or use a green fiberglas landscape pole to lift the cover high enough to suit you. (I used a crate)
The milk crate lives on the ground under the generator.
It's a solid one minute to set up and another to dismantle.

I also had a handy dandy crane that attached to my ladder. It allowed me to get the cover on the roof by myself.
I can't exactly tell by the picture you posted, but a harbor freight $100 truck crane might fit on the eave of your house.....

I hated it all... Every second of wrestling that 200lb bear, determined to trip and engulf me, 12 ft off the ground, while blindly dodging the vents and solar and ac and antennas.

If you have anything sharp, corners on solar, a poking bolt, the winds in the first month will shred your cover. I had to make silicone(fifty percent type one silicone and fifty percent cornstarch. Mix well. It hardens to a shoe sole hardness) ) corners and caps for EVERYTHING. Luckily we owned a 33inch throat sail making singer. 10,000 stitches and fifteen sewn in pads later, it STILL tried to whoop me every time I covered/uncovered.
To get it on the roof I unrolled it by the ladder. Grabbed the front and pull it up with me. Once on top I pulled the rest of the cover up Yes it was a pain. Mainly because of the 85* heat pounding on my head. I put pool noodles on all sharp areas.. time will tell on longevity.Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #4427
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I have a 1500 watt space heater that I plug in for the load. Of course most of the time when I'm exercising the generator I'm in storage during the winter and actually need the heat. If the weather is warm, you can aways plug the heater into the exterior outlet.

While in storage, I also run the ACE's engine with the heat on fully so I get circulation through the heater core. With the engine heater and the space heater it can get real toasty even when it's winter outside.
Dont have any heaters. Not needed in so cal. Ill have to play a round with a few things until I find what works

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #4428
Senior Member
 
DinoC41's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,145
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Kind of hot here in so cal but it was time to dicor up the roof. Did the front and rear caps, vents and sky light. Used 6 tubes

Now I have to silicone a few things on the sides. Also check for openings in the water heater and fridge vents

After that I think a soak in the pool

JerryAttachment 18918Attachment 18919Attachment 18920Attachment 18921Attachment 18922Attachment 18923Attachment 18924

__________________
Dino & Angie
2017 Thor Windsport 29M

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #4429
Senior Member
 
DinoC41's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,145
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Well I think I made a big mistake. Bought a cover for the mh

Was a bitch to put on by myself. Hopefully when I remove it I'll fold it better to make it easier to put back on. Factory folding was tucked in side.

Needed the cover as the decals were starting to fade and crack

Time well tell if it was worth buying

JerryAttachment 18943Attachment 18944

__________________
Dino & Angie
2017 Thor Windsport 29M

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 AM   #4430
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Found a broken screw on the bottom ladder bracket. These ladders sure are cheap but I'll blame the problem on my big stomach.

Dave, Sundance, came over to do a somewhat quick fix. We decided screws were not the correct fasteners. So off to home depot for bolts, big area washers, and locking nuts

We didn't change all of them. We did three where the broken screw was and two on the other. We feel it much better and the bracket is stronger

I decided not to use the ladder any more. When I need to climb up I'll use my little giant ladder and rest it on the mh ladder. That way I can still use the top of the ladder to get on and off with no weight on the mh ladder

No pics. Sorry

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #4431
Senior Member
 
DinoC41's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,145
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Found a broken screw on the bottom ladder bracket. These ladders sure are cheap but I'll blame the problem on my big stomach.

Dave, Sundance, came over to do a somewhat quick fix. We decided screws were not the correct fasteners. So off to home depot for bolts, big area washers, and locking nuts

We didn't change all of them. We did three where the broken screw was and two on the other. We feel it much better and the bracket is stronger

I decided not to use the ladder any more. When I need to climb up I'll use my little giant ladder and rest it on the mh ladder. That way I can still use the top of the ladder to get on and off with no weight on the mh ladder

No pics. Sorry

Jerry


__________________
Dino & Angie
2017 Thor Windsport 29M

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #4432
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 568
THOR #14120
Dino, I thought someone said that “without pictures it didn’t happen “. Do I have that right?
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #4433
Senior Member
 
Sanford's Avatar
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 327
THOR #7580
Been reading a lot about ladders lately. Decided to check ours out. On our Challenger, there are reinforcement blocks under the mh designed for the ladder screws. None of the screws were inserted into the blocks. No longer trust the ladder, use a separate folding ladder.
__________________
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #4434
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,710
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Been reading a lot about ladders lately. Decided to check ours out. On our Challenger, there are reinforcement blocks under the mh designed for the ladder screws. None of the screws were inserted into the blocks. No longer trust the ladder, use a separate folding ladder.
That's what's on mine. 1" wood blocks fiberglass to the end cap. Only problem two screws into the block and two below the block

Plus the ladder isn't real strong imo. I think they could be made much better

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #4435
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E.
State: Indiana
Posts: 13
THOR #10627
OK, I’ve got a bizarre issue I’d like to solve, although it’s not a critical problem. At a campground with cable, watching the news. My wife uses the bathroom turns on the exhaust fan and the cable tv picture freezes. It happens on every tv everytime. It’s cable related because a feed into the HDMI port is unaffected. The only thing I can figure is that the 12 volt DC to the fan may be wrapped around the main coax cable and when you turn on the fan you get inductive effects scrambling the signal. Anyone else have this issue...?
__________________
HatrackRV
glennrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #4436
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
Posts: 762
THOR #2817
The fan is generating RF and that is interfering with the TV signal. We have the same problem, though it doesn't freeze the picture, it affects the sound and the clarity of the signal. We have been living with it since we purchased the RV.
__________________
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #4437
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
Posts: 301
THOR #13360
No Teckie here but can't you get one of those Lifesaver looking things that they use on computers to kill the Rf noise. They look like a small donut that the wires run thru. Maybe I'm all wet here, wouldn't be the 1st time
__________________
MTHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #4438
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
Posts: 762
THOR #2817
Those are ferrite beads.
__________________
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #4439
Senior Member
 
DinoC41's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,145
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Dino, I thought someone said that “without pictures it didn’t happen “. Do I have that right?
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm...LOL
__________________
Dino & Angie
2017 Thor Windsport 29M

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #4440
Junior Member
 
Formia1's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
Posts: 20
THOR #4305
This is a very useful thread

We bought a 2017 Hurricane 29M a few weeks ago and yes, the polarity of the charging station feed wires was reversed. We have low flow in the aerator section of the kitchen pull down head (full flow in spray nozzles). Aerator is non removable and it appears the head is too. Has anyone removed the head?
__________________

__________________
Formia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×