RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #21176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
1. Insulate the dog house- Reports are that the OEM coach and doghouse is hot and noisy. A layer or two of sound deadening insulation should help immensely.
I just accepted delivery of mine in October, it's my first motorhome so I don't know if it's unusual but yes, it's very loud in the cockpit. It sounds more like wind/road noise to me
Quote:
2. Front end alignment. I will drive about 100 miles from the dealer to my home storage location. Unless it is smooth as silk I plan to do a front wheel alignment and shoot for 5+ degrees positive caster. Hopefully that is all I have to do.
Mine was badly out of alignment. Also the tires were delivered 25lbs low on air.
Quote:
4. I am sure that there will be convenience do dads I will install, but right now I can't think of any critical ones.
I installed a hard wired surge protector and, due to the small counters, counter top mounted soap dispensors.
Quote:
3. I have used stepped ramps for many years leveling trailers. I hope that I can live with this method and won't have to install a leveling system. If I do it will be the basic Bigfoot system.
The stepped ramps I brought from my travel trailer have worked great even is very unlevel sites. I did have to buy double my set due to the extra wheels.
Quote:
5. I might do some mods that will help with winter camping next year. Maybe heat tape and insulate the plumbing and rig up a skirt around the coach to create a warm pocket. Will have to see what I need and if I really do much cold weather camping.
I don't think this is necessary. The plumbing is all above the floor and run with the heating ducts. The exception is the black/grey tanks which come with tank heaters and the outdoor shower.

2021 Axis 24.1/2019 Fusion Hybrid
Selurgniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:12 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Selurgniman:

Thanks for your comments from someone who has really been through it!

Did you note where the alignment was out? My understanding is that caster is most critical, should be 5+ degrees.

David

Old 01-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #23

THOR #21176
I just took it in this week to fix my list of usual types of new RV issues. I asked them to get the alignment done while it's there. They mentioned the manufacturer specifically says it will need an alignment and it's not covered. I had to steer left 30-40 degrees to drive straight.
2021 Axis 24.1/2019 Fusion Hybrid
Selurgniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurgniman View Post
I just took it in this week to fix my list of usual types of new RV issues. I asked them to get the alignment done while it's there. They mentioned the manufacturer specifically says it will need an alignment and it's not covered. I had to steer left 30-40 degrees to drive straight.

Apparently some folks have talked Thor into paying for it but most end up paying for it themselves. Personally I would take it to an independent truck suspension shop that does alignments for a living as opposed to having an RV dealer do it. Itís likely to be cheaper (mine was about $125) and more thorough. Plus you will have an opportunity to discuss possible upgrades to steering and handling. It is really worthwhile to get it aligned.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:23 AM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Goodyear Commercial Tire is a good place for the alignment (took mine there) and they have shops everywhere.

https://www.goodyearctsc.com/locations
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:36 AM   #26

THOR #3459
One thing that I appreciate more than I expected was a couple USB outlets in the dash with integrated volt meters. One hooked to the chassis battery and the other to the house battery. Simple project that added more needed charging outlets and also the ability to check the voltage of both systems at a glance. This project started because all 4 of my USB outlets in the bedroom died and while shopping for replacements I found the ones with displays.

These are they ones I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Apparently some folks have talked Thor into paying for it but most end up paying for it themselves. Personally I would take it to an independent truck suspension shop that does alignments for a living as opposed to having an RV dealer do it. Itís likely to be cheaper (mine was about $125) and more thorough. Plus you will have an opportunity to discuss possible upgrades to steering and handling. It is really worthwhile to get it aligned.
If you complain about the horrible ride and handling during the test drive: the dealer might throw the alignment in; to seal the deal.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:49 AM   #28

THOR #21176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Apparently some folks have talked Thor into paying for it but most end up paying for it themselves. Personally I would take it to an independent truck suspension shop that does alignments for a living as opposed to having an RV dealer do it.
Iím trying the manufacturer route but regardless of who pays, this dealer sends all chassis work to a partner commercial truck dealership.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:23 AM   #29

Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurgniman View Post
Iím trying the manufacturer route but regardless of who pays, this dealer sends all chassis work to a partner commercial truck dealership.

Thatíll work. Good luck.