Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Is Solar really needed for Charging

I was crowing on another thread about the fact that I don't have any Solar as I view as good thing

But it was raised as advantageous to at least a 100 watts controller for a 6 amp trickle charge. So as to not derail another thread, I raise this question here. Despite conventional wisdom; can there be circumstances where any given RV Owner / Coach does not need any type of Solar system?

Note: This is not intended for the heavy boondockers who intend to live out in BLM land for weeks / months or those that either don't have or don't want generators. It is for the typical RV owner that does have a Generator and Auto Generator Start System.

My current belief is that a simple solar system that allows trickle charge while a nice to have; may actually be a detriment based on your current RV DC electrical design and simply not needed. Let's discuss to see if I may learn new perspective

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I was crowing on another thread about the fact that I don't have any Solar as I view as good thing

But it was raised as advantageous to at least a 100 watts controller for a 6 amp trickle charge. So as to not derail another thread, I raise this question here. Despite conventional wisdom; can there be circumstances where any given RV Owner / Coach does not need any type of Solar system?

Note: This is not intended for the heavy boondockers who intend to live out in BLM land for weeks / months or those that either don't have or don't want generators. It is for the typical RV owner that does have a Generator and Auto Generator Start System.

My current belief is that a simple solar system that allows trickle charge while a nice to have; may actually be a detriment based on your current RV DC electrical design and simply not needed. Let's discuss to see if I may learn new perspective
To me RVing is a hobby and like any hobby I do lots of things that are not necessary or required mainly for entertainment because I like to tinker. If I had all the money back I spent on our previous diesel pusher that was not necessary it would be a staggering amount of money. RV's don't need solar. They also don't need microwaves, air conditioners, televisions, radio's, etc. You don't like solar and brag about not having any is ok with me and your choice. We have 290 watts of solar and it is fun to play with.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I added solar at purchase and could have done without it. It was a waste of money, is not needed and only serves as something else requiring maintenance.

Since I exercise the generator as recommended by Onan that exercising keeps the batteries charged during storage.

Yes, there are folks that have no need or use for solar on an RV.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #4

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
We boon dock mostly about 75% of the time. Our motor home came solar prepped just need to add the panel. But after doing some research on the cost of the panels and adding 2 more 6v batteries it is cheaper to just keep using the Yamaha 2000iv generator we have, it will run for 13 hours on a gallon of gas and our coach has the AGS.
With that said, adding the panels and 2 more batteries is on the list of upgrades, just not very high on the list.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Needed? Obviously, no.

Beneficial? Maybe. If you store the unit outside (where the panel can get sunlight) without electrical hookup, it will keep your batteries charged without having to disconnect them.

Harmful/an issue with RV electrical systems? No, if installed properly with a charge controller, there are no issues with having solar. When plugged into shore power, the charge controller will see what appears to be a full battery (the voltage from the charger) and not allow any current to flow from the panel. When not plugging into shore power, it will charge the battery as needed. No clue why you would think there are issues with having solar. At worst, as EA37TS mentioned, it might be an unnecessary expense. In terms of your electrical system, it's not going to hurt anything.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:

Is a solar charging system necessary outside of heavy boondocking? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But neither are TONS of things we pour money and labor into to add to our RV experience.

I think of my solar install as a convenience item. Think about the difference between AGM and FLA batteries... while EITHER one will accomplish the exact same end results, the AGM has a definite CONVENIENCE advantage. Is the AGM "better"? Depends on your perspective... which is the same with solar. Do you NEED solar? Do you NEED AGM batteries? Asking these questions MYSELF often makes me stop and analyze.

Some other "convenience items" that are nice to have, but DEFINITELY not necessary... think along the lines of "wants vs needs".

Power door locks
Power windows
Power mirrors
Automatic transmission
Enclosed garage for your RV
Suspension upgrades

We have been conditioned (spoiled ) by convenience. And since each individual has a different tolerance level, what you decide is your personal preference. I always try to fall back on the WANT vs NEED analysis.

Could I live without my small solar install? ABSOLUTELY! But since I don't have an AGS, I would have to go back to a battery maintainer/smart charger and extension cord plugged in over winter. And it would require more generator usage while traveling. Again... CONVENIENCE (WANTS), not NEED.

Just like the mindset of having maintenance free AGM batteries, I think of using solar to keep batteries topped off as a "maintenance free" no worries system for charging.

ALL THAT SAID... Count the number of threads/posts where batteries have been absolutely abused/destroyed - usually by unknowing "newbies". Countless numbers of frustrations from "DBS" (dead battery syndrome) could be avoided by having a BASIC factory installed 100 watt panel on the roof connected to the battery. How many batteries are silently/unknowingly destroyed on the dealer lot even before the RV is sold?
Old 11-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: How many years have RVs been around?
'Nuther question: do you think that all had solar charging systems?

Swim in the water that makes you the most comfortable...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If the RV is stored away from shore power, it's a necessity.
If not, it's a toy.
I'm ok with toys.
I'm not ok with toys becoming a religion.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I ordered the option of 525 watt system for my soon to be built renegade. I dont usually dry camp but might with this new rig. My main motivation came after getting a call from a friend saying his mh wouldn't start. No cranking, turn the key nothing. He thought he had a blown fuse or bad safety switch (slide out engine won't start etc)

While discussing his situation he turned the key and it started

Long story short all his batteries, Coach and chassis were dead. During our phone call His solar charged the coach batteries enough to start. So as a safety feature they can be very useful

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #10

THOR #13058
I will throw in a little more context of my mindset. When you think of me, you still have to kind of think newbie that only has about 3 years of true RV experience.

My first contact with Solar Controllers was with the Windsports / Hurricanes. They had I believe a 130 watt controller or similar as standard? When I asked the Salesman how it worked he said you had to have it installed with panels and that it was only prewired. So I did some checking with a couple of places to hookup solar panels if I were to buy. Both said the same thing, my controller was too small, and using for charging only was worthless. They wanted to replace controller and rewire with larger wiring. Both estimates were costly, I had my doubts. Fast forward. My RV today did not come with any prewired controller; which kind of made sense if I was going to have only a 100 watt something that may need to be replaced anyway.

My crowing about not having Solar is mainly suited around my belief that after two years; I have not seen a need where Solar would have helped me. My current batteries never go below a 60% SOC ( 12.5vdc AGMs). I have gone a full month with my RV completely disconnected and Use mode still on and batteries never go below 12.7 vdc sitting. I have done the same with Use Switch off and my batteries didn't move.

When I said, it may actually be a detriment to the system, I was really pushing it but I was thinking that if I had Solar as a constant trickle charge on optimum weather days; it may reduce the need for my genset to need to start to recharge batteries. If I am truly in a boondock situation, I want my genset to start at least once a day. Given it does for AC or low voltage, I have no need for Solar. Keep in mind my RV is stored at home and connected to Shore power 50 amps service 70% of the time. I disconnect purposely on occasion just to go a few weeks with no charging to see what the batteries do, and whenever storms move in even though I have Southwire's EMS protection.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
You can use a 100 watt panel with the standard controller, and when not using the RV, it would keep your batteries charged from normal parasitic loads. I think the place you talked to was either A) looking at installing a boondocking system that would power everything, or B) trying to sell you way more than you need for their own reasons.

Given what you've said about your batteries and general practices, it sounds like solar isn't necessary for you.

I mainly dry camp, often in cooler locations (no need for AC), and don't want to run the generator. For me, solar makes sense. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I ordered the option of 525 watt system for my soon to be built renegade. I dont usually dry camp but might with this new rig. My main motivation came after getting a call from a friend saying his mh wouldn't start. No cranking, turn the key nothing. He thought he had a blown fuse or bad safety switch (slide out engine won't start etc)

While discussing his situation he turned the key and it started

Long story short all his batteries, Coach and chassis were dead. During our phone call His solar charged the coach batteries enough to start. So as a safety feature they can be very useful

Jerry
Interesting. My question is whether he has an AGS system and was it working? If we don't have shorepower; our AGS is on constantly; even when driving because it may start to turn on the ACs if the rear of coach gets to hot.

Back to my subtle push of how use of Solar as charger might be a detriment in certain situations is that if you may not otherwise get to see or use your standard AGS system enough to ensure that it is working as it should. I kind of get a thrill / rush when I can be outside talking with someone and my genset kicks on.

Having said that, if it were an option on my rig, I think I would take it. It was not an option for my Sunstar 29ve, nor the AGS for that matter. So I had the dealer installed the EC-30 AGS not seeing any need for Solar.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
You can use a 100 watt panel with the standard controller, and when not using the RV, it would keep your batteries charged from normal parasitic loads. I think the place you talked to was either A) looking at installing a boondocking system that would power everything, or B) trying to sell you way more than you need for their own reasons.

Given what you've said about your batteries and general practices, it sounds like solar isn't necessary for you.

I mainly dry camp, often in cooler locations (no need for AC), and don't want to run the generator. For me, solar makes sense. Different strokes for different folks.

Different strokes for different folks.
that is what Atreis always says...

I am sure you are 100% correct. Both of the places I went to specialized in RV Solar Installs, and in most cases; for their customers, money is not an impediment Us cheap folks need to learn when to walk away
Old 11-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

One of these is in every truck and tractor and quad I own.
Portable
Serves Me
Serves others
But
It will not keep your battery from running down.

I have solar chargers on my three trailers to keep the winch battery up and full.
I have this because the trailers do not have shore power available.
My offroad zr2 blazer has a clip-on solar panel because it often sits for months before I remember to go start it.

Solar is a tool.
Solar is more often a toy.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: How many years have RVs been around? At least 2
'Nuther question: do you think that all had solar charging systems? I know one didn't

Swim in the water that makes you the most comfortable...
You mean don't swim in this lake that is Solar heated

Old 11-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Our 28A was pre-wired for solar, so we had the dealer install a 190 watt panel on the roof. Being newbie and having the opportunity, we went for it.

Our MH is parked on the property on a gravel pad we had installed. It does not have any utilities. The solar panel keeps the batteries charged, so I don't have to string an extension cord out that far.

I am considering adding a second battery and installing an inverter. We have boondocked and it seems kind of silly to run the genny for a pot of coffee, to watch TV, or use a hair dryer. I have also researched some dry camping opportunities where using these items falls outside of their generator hours.

Also, when driving, when we stop for lunch maybe I'd like to heat up a burrito. Again, gotta run the genny.

We got these things to make camping easier and more convenient. Otherwise we'd be throwing our tent, Coleman stove and lantern in the back of the station wagon!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If the RV is stored away from shore power, it's a necessity.
If not, it's a toy.
I'm ok with toys.
I'm not ok with toys becoming a religion.
This is my takeaway.

My RV is stored with 50 amps service, and with that I purposely disconnect for some extended periods because when everything is off the only loads I have found is for antenna power. If I wish to go nuclear I can flip the Use switch to store ( but I never use the Store switch) In a real sense our RV is never really in Storage as we use year around.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
If you always stay at campgrounds with full hookups, never boondock and have an electric hookup at home/storage... why would you need solar? If you eat out every meal (like today's kids) why do you need a stove in your house? If you live in a condo where you pay to have someone cut your grass, why buy a lawnmower?

Simple "need analysis"...
Old 11-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:

We use hookups and boondock hybrid
My wife hates the generator noise.
Our 180w in sun keeps batteries up so that we can use the inverter watch TV with no noise
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Our 28A was pre-wired for solar, so we had the dealer install a 190 watt panel on the roof. Being newbie and having the opportunity, we went for it.

Our MH is parked on the property on a gravel pad we had installed. It does not have any utilities. The solar panel keeps the batteries charged, so I don't have to string an extension cord out that far.

I am considering adding a second battery and installing an inverter. We have boondocked and it seems kind of silly to run the genny for a pot of coffee, to watch TV, or use a hair dryer. I have also researched some dry camping opportunities where using these items falls outside of their generator hours.

Also, when driving, when we stop for lunch maybe I'd like to heat up a burrito. Again, gotta run the genny.

We got these things to make camping easier and more convenient. Otherwise we'd be throwing our tent, Coleman stove and lantern in the back of the station wagon!
Oh Oh, you gonna make have to start another thread because another thing I crow about is whether a 2,000 watt Inverter is really needed?

We have only 1000 watt Inverter and thus far after 2 years have never tripped the breaker. With all 3 TVs running we are only at 500 watts, but we never need all 3 TV s to be running at the same time.

We don't have a coffee pot, nor a hair dryer. I am sure if we did we would need the 2000 watts Inverter. If my 1000 watt Magnum were to go out, I would replace with a 2000 watt Magnum even I didn't need that much. Magnum has already confirmed that for my coach; the Mfg wiring will work with both their 1000 or 2000 watt units.

The only thing we need the start up generator for is to use the Microwave which is rare (i.e popcorn, or driving down the road and my DW is making me a warm sandwich) Half the time the genset may already be running because of the Texas heat, but if not it is a simple push of a button for genset to start. We let it run for at least 10 minutes before we shut it off. I actually look for any opportunity to start and run my generator at least 10 minutes. In turn the practice or need to intentionally exercise my genset is not needed. I in effect get it exercised base on real needs and works to perfection.

But I do agree with you, Solar is required in your case because you have need to keep your batteries charged when it is stored on your gravel pad.