Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Steering Stabilizer / Sway bars

Time for another poll of the experts
Solar complete- good times
170w BougeRV panel, Victron 100 / 30 MPPT controller - two BattleBorn 100a batteries (if you’re gonna be a bear, be a grizzly)
Purchased a Safe T Plus but wondering about sway bars for the mighty Vegas 24.1
Rear only? Front and rear? I’m wondering how much additional arm and sway the larger RV’s encounter aft of the rear wheels due to greater surface area? I tend to apply aviation knowledge and wonder if with the shorter stance over the rear wheels creates sufficient stability compared to longer rigs. (Kind is like a longer airplane experiences greater yaw toward the rear)
Thoughts?

Old 02-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My rear sway is gone now that I've fixed the front sway.
I don't know why.
Only changes to the rear was 4" lift blocks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

THOR #17787
Do you recommend only doing the front?
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #4

THOR #13932
No,
I just know my radical approach to the front end along with the lift now let's us play a game called:
'Passenger, close your eyes and guess if, or what, type of vehicle is passing us.'
We can't tell if or what because we don't get any sway.

I can drive it with as light of a touch as our f150.

But frankly, though it swayed a bit before the suspension changes, our talent and temperament prevailed.
We really didn't have a handling complaint before our suspension changes.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #5

THOR #17787
I like the sound of that though. SoCal to FL next month. No more wrestling match every time someone passes.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #10201
Everything including the kitchen sink

We upgraded to the Safety t, front and rear sway bars, Sumo, and front and rear airbags. It’s close to a Cadillac. No more hitting bump stops, no more whams on bad roads. Very little sway, rides so much better. Worth all the time and money.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 AM   #7

THOR #17787
Sounds like a nice setup! My rig has been on the road since I bought it so all of my upgrades have been at campgrounds. I’m not familiar with Sumo yet but will look into it. Have you done anything for noise suppression?
Old 02-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

Model: Vegas
THOR #10201
Noise

We insulated the dog house, the entire engine compartment. Haven’t done anything under the cockpit, its so much quieter im not sure that we need it at this point. We’ve changed out the couch with theater seating, had our captains chairs redone, made new tables instead of the one big one. It was too heavy and after changing the couch we didnt have a good place to store it. I took a page from Duckfaces post and made the storage up on the dash with a gutter. Thats wonderful as it holds my dog, who wants to sit on the dash in place. Made a cover for over the stairwell so while your driving and parked you can keep it covered and have extra floor space. We’ve put a cutoff switch between the engine battery and the coach because of the batteries going down. Put a screen over the radiator to help prevent rocks and other objects hitting the rad. Installed a light bar behind the grill. Changed out the headlights to LED. Still got a few things to do, building storage over the doghouse, do something with the wiper switch, add some side cameras. We’re going to place the cameras up higher looking back and down the sides of the rv. Thought about trading it in and getting something a little bigger, but have so much invested that we will never get a return on it so we are going to kee it and make it our own. Iv redone the boxes over the indows to something brighter, redone the curtain over the windshield. We have to replace the inner window seals. To be continued.....
Old 02-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

THOR #17787
That's substantial! I'm going to do some of the simpler or more essential mods initially. Other than the Safe-T-Plus maybe more solar panels and the doghouse insulation. The rig will be making it home around May so I'll have easier access to everything - especially tools. The cameras sound like a great idea. I'm all about knowing what's around me. Please let me know if you find something suitable.
I initially looked at larger RV's but they didn't make sense as larger rigs offer accommodations we don't require. It's just my girlfriend and I and less RV keeps us outside more! I needed something with a king bed because she sleeps like a starfish and I'm 6'5". Food for thought but the beauty of a Vegas/Axis is that you literally use every square inch of it.
Thanks for the mod ideas.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #10

THOR #13932
About the safety plus dampers:
I have a 40 dollar Rancho steering stabilizer.
It is attached to a massive Dana 60 straight axle on leaf springs.
It works just fine.

The hype of $600 to $3,000(yup, a couple of people here confessed to $3,000 steering stabilizers being installed at dealers and I vaguely remember a $5,000 confession) is, as far as I'm concerned, hog-damn-wash.

I'll be glad to hear from anyone how an expensive stabilizer/damper is not just, in essence and practice, a shock absorber held on by essentially, u bolts.

Kits are available for 40 ish bucks.

I am intrigued, as I think a pilot such as the op might be, by the plague prone ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE steering dampers which can be set moment by moment using a dash mounted, driver operated rheostat to counter the maybe constant wind or road crown.

I don't remember the name of them. They had a water intrusion issue easily fixed by those who easily fix things but easily complained about by those who easily complain. I don't need one and have lost the link.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
The best handling improvement I did to my coach was the front sumos. They smoothed out 99% of the roads harshness. They make driving the coach a breeze, not a chore.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #12

THOR #17787
On my initial transcon my greatest challenge was lateral movement.

I thought the same when I saw the Safe T Plus (a horizontal shock-absorber) but since I'm so far from home/tools the "plug and play" benefit is convenient. The rest of the stabilizing mods will likely have to wait especially since I'd rather be on my surfboard than under my RV.

As for road comfort and fatigue I plan to take a bit of inventory as I head east next month. Some are less or more sensitive to noise, bumps etc. and I will modify accordingly.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Arkansas
THOR #15748
We love our Vegas 25.3. Added the stabilizer and it handles perfectly. I am the driver (husband unable to). This size is ideal for two people! Happy travels! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190819_112109486.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	22585
Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #14

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Personally, I like the Helwig front & rear anti-sways. They are the best mod you can do on a Vegas/Axis.
They were about $600 for the parts on Amazon + a fairly straightforward DIY install.

SUMO’s on the front are the least expensive mod, and is a simple install
Not sure if SUMO’s are needed on the rear if you have the anti-sways.

And, I didn’t go with the Saf-T-Plus, but opted for a $100 Bilstein Steering Damper that performs much better than the whimpy stock Ford damper.

I did add Airlift 1000 air bags inside the front coils which gives me an additional 1” lift in the front end which makes a noticeable improvement as well. That was $70 + DIY.

So, about $1,000 invested in parts + DIY.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16950
We our Upgraded ACE suspension HUGE improvement with a full Roadmaster front & rear sway bars as well as the front steering stabilizer kit.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT
Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #16

THOR #12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The best handling improvement I did to my coach was the front sumos. They smoothed out 99% of the roads harshness. They make driving the coach a breeze, not a chore.
Would you be willing to share all the details of your handling improvement upgrades for your 29M?
- Sumo - front springs?
- Any stabilizer bars?
- Shocks?
- Steering stabilizer?

I would really like for it to steer and ride better, but I worry about spending thousands and thousands of dollars to end up with only "marginally" better.

What exactly have you done and what % better would you estimate each of the upgrades and then in total?

I have a 2016 29M and have only done the CHF. Am thinking I will add the Safe-T-Plus to help with the steering. The ride is pretty harsh, but then the roads here in CA are crap so . . . . I'm somewhat of the opinion that nothing is going to make a big truck, motorhome, whatever ride smooth when your roads are complete crap.

Just don't want to waste time and $$$$$$$$ if I have to wonder whether the upgrades actually made a difference or not.

Thanks for any info you feel like sharing!!!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #17
Jdb

State: Indiana
THOR #17892
Our 2018 Thor 24.1 had the Sate-T-Plus installed by the PO, as well as the Sumo (F&R) and the Helwig (rear only). I found that tire air pressure makes a huge difference - I run 75 front and 80 rear, and I adjust every morning as needed.

I can't say what difference the PO's suspension mods made; however, I know that in the event of a steering tire blow-out, a really good steering stabilizer will be money well-spent.

Dave
Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #18

THOR #17787
The lateral movement seems the most critical at the moment so I’ll do the safe t plus this week. Each feature alleviates a negative while creating some enhancement but I’d venture its a matter of what bothers us the most aka lateral movement, boaty feel, ride smoothness etc. I’m going to address them in that order, then install the fully autonomous self-driving feature. I’ll be in the back taking a nap while the rig takes me to my next destination...
Old 02-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 24DL
THOR #13075
On my 2018 24’ Fourwinds, I added a larger rear sway bar, Sumo spring front an rear fora a net gain of zero. The rig continues to sway badly when it’s one wheel at a time such as going over the slight curb into our driveway . Also when being passed by big rigs we are pushed around .
Other than adding some sort of steering stabilizer I’m outta ideas and low in cash"....."

Thanks for any suggestions..
Old 02-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #20

THOR #12858
My 24.1 has Hellwigs front and rear, Supersteer trac bar in the rear, Sumo in the front, Bilsteins all the way around and on steering. It handles really well and way way better in windy conditions. From Thor it was a wallowing pig. My next changes will install Sumos in the rear, and finish it off, I'll add some steel belted radials like Michelin XPS Rib. I'm now researching Continental "VanContact" all season tires with a 120 load index; they are marked as C225/75 R16, made for the Euro vans evidently. Some of the wallow in these is from the tires, a steel belted with a stiffer sidewalls would help. I'll stay with 225/75 R16s .

J5