Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2021, 12:47 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Dakota
THOR #14004
If it wasn't for family, I would be too. Mind if I share your insights?

Old 10-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbay View Post
If it wasn't for family, I would be too. Mind if I share your insights?

Have at it…..
Old 10-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #23

Model: Challenger 37FH
THOR #20111
We’ve had the same problems as everyone else. Can’t stand the Schwintek slide mechanisms. They’re horrible. We’ve been talking with Brian as well. He quoted us $2800 a slide. Hoping to see him next year.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #24

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasDEC View Post
We’ve had the same problems as everyone else. Can’t stand the Schwintek slide mechanisms. They’re horrible. We’ve been talking with Brian as well. He quoted us $2800 a slide. Hoping to see him next year.
Good luck!

I think it is well worth the cost based on my experience so far.

I'm impressed with Brian and his design. My coach is put away for the winter but I have opened the slide numerous times and it moves and sounds so much better.

And I no longer have to cross my fingers and close one-eye when I press the Extend or Retract button.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #25

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Judge, would you suggest or recommend replacing the Schwintek slide mechanisms for other THOR units as well that experience slide out problems? We have a 2021 THOR ACE 33.1. Our Front Slide out developed a gap on the front, BOTTOM. The Bottom slide track (3 slide tracks) suffered some damage/gouges because of misaligned rails. It still slides IN and OUT. But it makes "crunching noise", as the bottom of the couch and the inside of the slide frame (wooden trim) catches the floor when extending and retracting. The dealer found the floor to be "warped upwards". They recommend the front area flooring to be replaced. THOR denied the warranty request and just approved the dealer to "adjust the rollers". The dealership will be resubmitting the claim with more pictures of the floor and bottom of the couch.

Our RV is a keeper until our retirement. We just hope we dont have to deal with Slide Out problems. We already have one problem on the Front Slide out.

Since you have seen the quality of the Vroom Slide System, would it be a good idea to spend that $2,800 (or whatever it will cost) to replace my slide out mechanism(s) on both slide outs?
ador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:33 PM   #26

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Judge, would you suggest or recommend replacing the Schwintek slide mechanisms for other THOR units as well that experience slide out problems? We have a 2021 THOR ACE 33.1. Our Front Slide out developed a gap on the front, BOTTOM. The Bottom slide track (3 slide tracks) suffered some damage/gouges because of misaligned rails. It still slides IN and OUT. But it makes "crunching noise", as the bottom of the couch and the inside of the slide frame (wooden trim) catches the floor when extending and retracting. The dealer found the floor to be "warped upwards". They recommend the front area flooring to be replaced. THOR denied the warranty request and just approved the dealer to "adjust the rollers". The dealership will be resubmitting the claim with more pictures of the floor and bottom of the couch.

Our RV is a keeper until our retirement. We just hope we dont have to deal with Slide Out problems. We already have one problem on the Front Slide out.

Since you have seen the quality of the Vroom Slide System, would it be a good idea to spend that $2,800 (or whatever it will cost) to replace my slide out mechanism(s) on both slide outs?

The Vroom slide system is an option for any Schwintek Slide Mechanism on any coach... but especially coaches with large and heavier slides (the ones with the 3Trax System). Your coach is a candidate.

I spoke to a guy with a Thor DP just before I took mine to Vroom. He told me he spent $1800 and it took an RV Shop 8 weeks to fix his Schwintek Slide. There is no way I would be spending $1000 plus to repair a failed Schwintek Slide System that has some design weaknesses and could likely fail again.... meaning spending more money on it.

My 23' slide cost $2500 reusing my LCI slide motors and the LCI controller. I suspect he is quoting $2800 per slide now because his motors and controller will be ready by the end of the year and he will be using those in most cases.

Since you have two slides, $5600 is a lot of cash. But if it was me and I intended to keep my coach for a while and I didn't want to worry about slide failures, I would probably do both at the same time if I had the money.

At the very least I would replace the failed slide with the Vroom system instead of replacing it the same Schwintek system and then wait to see if the other slide fails. Your are not far from Tucson so it would not be a bad trip if you had to go back to do the other slide at some point.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #27

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

During our 5-month trip last winter, we had our long wall slide malfunction 4 times. Mobile techs got things moving again 3 times, including replacing a torn up front motor two times, and the last time we just brought the rig home after manually pushing it back in with the help of another couple.

A local repair shop would not touch it, but rather referred us to another repair service (all in the greater Kansas City area). That outfit told us it would cost $20,000 to $30,000 because they'd have to remove everything from that side of the RV, then remove the slide, then rebuild, etc., etc., etc. They recommended we just take the rig back to Thor and camp in their parking lot until they fixed it. Ha! We left very discouraged.

Then on one of the Facebook RVing groups, I found a reference to your post here.

Cutting to the chase: we have an appointment with Vroom SS the end of January where we'll be wintering.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:36 PM   #28

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKim View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

During our 5-month trip last winter, we had our long wall slide malfunction 4 times. Mobile techs got things moving again 3 times, including replacing a torn up front motor two times, and the last time we just brought the rig home after manually pushing it back in with the help of another couple.

A local repair shop would not touch it, but rather referred us to another repair service (all in the greater Kansas City area). That outfit told us it would cost $20,000 to $30,000 because they'd have to remove everything from that side of the RV, then remove the slide, then rebuild, etc., etc., etc. They recommended we just take the rig back to Thor and camp in their parking lot until they fixed it. Ha! We left very discouraged.

Then on one of the Facebook RVing groups, I found a reference to your post here.

Cutting to the chase: we have an appointment with Vroom SS the end of January where we'll be wintering.

A quote of $20K - $30K would have had me laughing in their face and I would have been moving down the road to find someone else!

Assuming your slide is not wildly out of being square, I am confident Vroom will solve your issues. They will check for obstructions. They will check the rollers. They will adjust and shim as necessary.

I personally didn't think there was anything wrong with my slide other than it being too long and too heavy for the Schwintek Mechanism.

The $2500 I spent for the Vroom Slide System was the best $2500 I ever spent on an RV.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
Your post may be very timely for us.

Our 22 foot Slider has struggled for years. I've replace both motors, and have been sooooo careful with it. Now clearly broke and waiting for repair at CW. Their plan is to replace the entire Schwintek slide mechanism with another Schwintek. They 'hope' to have parts in 3 months.

I appreciate your review. Excellent detail. I've put a request into Vroom to give me a call. Yes, I'd drive mine to Tucson to get a system I can be confident of. It would be reassuring if I could find comments of more who have made the switch to Vroom. I know of no other direct replacement for Schwintek.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #30

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeters View Post
Your post may be very timely for us.

Our 22 foot Slider has struggled for years. I've replace both motors, and have been sooooo careful with it. Now clearly broke and waiting for repair at CW. Their plan is to replace the entire Schwintek slide mechanism with another Schwintek. They 'hope' to have parts in 3 months.

I appreciate your review. Excellent detail. I've put a request into Vroom to give me a call. Yes, I'd drive mine to Tucson to get a system I can be confident of. It would be reassuring if I could find comments of more who have made the switch to Vroom. I know of no other direct replacement for Schwintek.

You will get a faster and better response of you call (520) 293-3819.

Before I would spend upwards of $2000 or more on replacing the Schwintek Mechanism with another Schwintek Meachanism, I would spend the $2500 - $3000 for the Vroom System. I would also not trust a dealer unless I had previous first hand knowledge of the quality of their work.

If I couldn't have gotten an appointment at the end of our trip out west, I would have driven from PA to Tucson between Xmas and New Years to get it done. I am very pleased with the Vroom System.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #31

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #12073
Thanks again, I'll call.

On our current configuration, I've noticed our slide (back when it worked) would sort of sag a little (3/4"?) down on the edge farthest from the rollers whether retracted or extended all the way out. Of course, this is due to a single line of supporting rollers that provide a fulcrum and the amount of play engineered into the tracks so it can tip. Maybe mine is worse than normal. It's always been this way from day 1.

Looking at your videos closely, I don't notice sag. Am I just not noticing, or did the beefier components of the Vroom installation tighten the slider travel up so much that there's not much sag anymore?
Old 11-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #32

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeters View Post
Thanks again, I'll call.

On our current configuration, I've noticed our slide (back when it worked) would sort of sag a little (3/4"?) down on the edge farthest from the rollers whether retracted or extended all the way out. Of course, this is due to a single line of supporting rollers that provide a fulcrum and the amount of play engineered into the tracks so it can tip. Maybe mine is worse than normal. It's always been this way from day 1.

Looking at your videos closely, I don't notice sag. Am I just not noticing, or did the beefier components of the Vroom installation tighten the slider travel up so much that there's not much sag anymore?
Roller adjustment and performance is certainly going to be important and Vroom will check all of the rollers, alignment, etc.

I have not had any sag issues with my slide. But my slide only extends about 22" or so. Some slides can extend 40".

The further the slide extends, the more important support is going to be so the slide stays level through the entire extension process. The rollers are also going to be crucial and well as the undercarriage of the slide box.

That being said.... the Vroom System design and components are far more robust. The Schwintek V-rollers supporting the tracks are a weak point in my opinion. The Vroom bearings that run along the track are much better and are going to support the slide better and allow for much smoother travel in and out out.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #33

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Connecticut option

My 2017 Thor Miramar 35.2 has had multiple slide failures since I bought it. Wife refuses to travel with it after being stranded in Myrtle Beach. It is stored in CT for winter. I read where you said there may be a company in CT that will be licensed to install the Vroom system. Any update on that? Thanks
Old 11-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #34

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbur View Post
My 2017 Thor Miramar 35.2 has had multiple slide failures since I bought it. Wife refuses to travel with it after being stranded in Myrtle Beach. It is stored in CT for winter. I read where you said there may be a company in CT that will be licensed to install the Vroom system. Any update on that? Thanks

You will want to call Brian Vroom at (520) 293-3819. He should be able to give you an update on the place in CT that will be doing his installations for him in the northeast.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #35

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I've had my 2nd slide failure now same problem at the opposite end of full wall slide, it's the v groove roller at the top. I agree with Judge that's a weak link but it think it's failure is due to floor rollers either out or adjustment or sinking into the vinyl floor covering. I think Bryan Vroom is now coming up with a floor mount roller replacement, I hope he does. I'm still under extended warranty and waiting on RVCare Pros to come out Tuesday for repairs. After warranty co pays I'm going to try to convince them to consider a deal to go with Vroom to save on future repair cost. I'm in Florida until April and Vroom has no openings until may, so I'm hoping he opens a shop in Florida, soon.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #36

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I've had my 2nd slide failure now same problem at the opposite end of full wall slide, it's the v groove roller at the top. I agree with Judge that's a weak link but it think it's failure is due to floor rollers either out or adjustment or sinking into the vinyl floor covering. I think Bryan Vroom is now coming up with a floor mount roller replacement, I hope he does. I'm still under extended warranty and waiting on RVCare Pros to come out Tuesday for repairs. After warranty co pays I'm going to try to convince them to consider a deal to go with Vroom to save on future repair cost. I'm in Florida until April and Vroom has no openings until may, so I'm hoping he opens a shop in Florida, soon.
They said my rollers were pretty close to being where they needed to be and were not a cause of my failure.

I will say I'm glad I got mine done when I did. Between my reviews and Tiffin sending customers to him, he is going to be busy for a long time.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #37
LDK

Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Judge, how did Brian's team repair the holes remaining from removing the Schwintek tracks? Any concern with leaks?
Old 03-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #38

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
Judge, how did Brian's team repair the holes remaining from removing the Schwintek tracks? Any concern with leaks?
They filled the holes with sealant. I'm not worried about any leaks forming. The old holes are easy enough to see should I need to add fresh sealant at some point.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:06 AM   #39

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: California
THOR #26100
I had a Winnebago in which one motor was acting up on my schwintec slide and I took it to an RV repair place and it cost me $1500. Now I have a Thor Hurricane and I feel like the first time something happens with my slide it's going to Vroom. Just pay the $2800 and be done with it. Maybe my stock one will last for years if I do preventive maintenance.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:05 PM   #40

THOR #12751
Here is a great video about the Vroom Slide System going into a 5th Wheel that also shows how crappy the Schwintek motor is mounted and how much it can move around.