Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #21
CHS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Did you try to remove the exterior connection that's mounted to the side of the rv to see if that is tight? The coax cable screws into the rear of the connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coax connector.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	36062  

Old 03-20-2022, 01:35 AM   #22

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Where is the splitter located on 2018 Vegas 24.1?
Old 03-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #23
CHS

THOR #22388
Did you check the outside connection by taking it off the side of the RV to see if the coax connection is tight (or there) as I suggested???
Old 03-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #24

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Outside connection

Yes, that was one of the first things done, before my post. While staying at Charlottesville KOA, I complained that the cable reception was poor, and the owner, who also did repairs, checked it, and found nothing wrong with it. What really gets me, in 2018, while still under warranty, I brought it to the Camping World I purchased it from, and they claimed it was fine. I was told that some campgrounds have not updated their cable set up and that’s my problem. Except, it has never improved, regardless of the campground.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
This situation is troubleshooting 101... low voltage connections like coax cable are relatively easy and safe. You will need TWO lengths of coax cable that are known to work properly.

An earlier poster mentioned using a separate cable to connect DIRECTLY to the campground connection, the other DIRECTLY to a television cable input on the television... NOT a splitter/distribution box. That will tell you if you are getting a good clean signal from the source. If not, there's the problem... if the picture looks good on your TV, continue on troubleshooting. You are creating needless frustration and complexity for yourself by not knowing that FIRST basic detail. Continue moving forward in small steps - ONE AT A TIME.

Remove the RV cable connector from the outside wall of the RV. Disconnect the cable from the campground and connect to the back side of the RV connector. Then, connect the other GOOD cable between the campground and the outside of your RV connector. Again... check TV picture. If it's "fuzzy" at this point, the problem is with your exterior RV coax connector. If you STILL have a clear picture on the TV, the problem is likely the cable run from the back side of the RV connection and wherever it terminates... the splitter/distribution box?

Take small steps... isolate each component/section one at a time... otherwise you introduce complexity in your troubleshooting (and frustration).

A note about "boosters" and "signal amplifiers". If a poor connection is causing your "fuzzy tv picture", an amplifier will do NOTHING... possibly make the situation worse. MAKE SURE the connections are good before throwing other things into the mix. An amplifier is helpful for long coax runs where the TV is a long way from the incoming coax.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Track down All of your cable connections. I found several under the sink and in other areas behin drawers that were ALL LOOSE. Had to tighten ALL CONNECTORS.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #27
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
Yes, that was one of the first things done, before my post. While staying at Charlottesville KOA, I complained that the cable reception was poor, and the owner, who also did repairs, checked it, and found nothing wrong with it. What really gets me, in 2018, while still under warranty, I brought it to the Camping World I purchased it from, and they claimed it was fine. I was told that some campgrounds have not updated their cable set up and that’s my problem. Except, it has never improved, regardless of the campground.
Personally I would run ALL new coaxial cables. Will take a little figuring but should not be difficult. Or at least change one at a time until the picture is clear. You may have a bad cable or the terminal end was not put on correctly.
In addition to my factory coaxial system, I drilled into the side of mine and ran a totally separate coax to the main TV, then added a HDMI A/B switch to switch from the inside and outside TV. I use it either for Sat. or cable.

We do not use the bedroom TV so I did not do anything with that.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:52 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Personally I would run ALL new coaxial cables. Will take a little figuring but should not be difficult. Or at least change one at a time until the picture is clear. You may have a bad cable or the terminal end was not put on correctly.
In addition to my factory coaxial system, I drilled into the side of mine and ran a totally separate coax to the main TV, then added a HDMI A/B switch to switch from the inside and outside TV. I use it either for Sat. or cable.

We do not use the bedroom TV so I did not do anything with that.
That's quite the shotgun approach to troubleshooting. Why not just test the cables and replace what's found to be bad?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:58 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
You can get a coax cable tester on AMAZON.com
Tools Store
4.7 out of 5 stars3,778 Reviews
Klein Tools VDV512-101 Explorer 2 Coax Tester Kit, Includes Cable Tester / Wire Tracer / Coax Mapper with Remotes to Test up to 4 Locations
Old 03-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #30
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
You can get a coax cable tester on AMAZON.com
Tools Store
4.7 out of 5 stars3,778 Reviews
Klein Tools VDV512-101 Explorer 2 Coax Tester Kit, Includes Cable Tester / Wire Tracer / Coax Mapper with Remotes to Test up to 4 Locations
That would work. But note that it states it does not work through splitters.