Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Axxera TV Difficulties

Cable reception is terrible, snowy at best. When using HDMI connection to view off my phone, or using digital antenna, there is no problem at all. I have been in RV resorts that have up to date cable, and some without any improvements, and get the same poor reception. I have used different cables to connect to RV, and changed the connection to the RV, but have had no improvement. I checked for loose wiring at box where antenna switch is, and tightened what was loose, but still no improvement. I have noticed that if I wiggle expose wires, or TV itself, picture clears a little. How do I get at the cable connection at the TV to check the connections there? I can’t get my hand behind the TVs and don’t see how to detach TV from wall connection.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:44 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
What particular model & year Thor product do you have? It helps to narrow it down to the coach in question so those that have that model may be able to help
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:36 AM   #3

THOR #11834
2018 Vegas 24.1
Old 02-09-2020, 01:46 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Did you check the connections to the splitter? Mine were all loose from the factory. On ours, the splitter was behind the microwave but yours may be somewhere else. Our TVs have straps to pull that release the latches.

Did you do a search on this forum? There has been discussion about the TVs and reception issues.

The cheap Seiki TVs that came with our Vegas are without QAM tuners, so they don't work with some cable systems. I replaced one and have been at many parks since with cable and not had a problem with the remaining Sucky TV.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:52 AM   #5

THOR #11834
Thank you. I did do a search, but could not find my particular problem. Also, I did tighten the connections at the splitter, but did not get any better
Old 02-10-2020, 12:00 AM   #6

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Do you turn the antenna booster off when trying to use cable?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ion-20609.html
Old 02-10-2020, 12:38 AM   #7

THOR #11834
Yes. It's turned off.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
The coax at the back of the tv is probably Loose. Contact Thor or your dealer to see how you release the tv from the mount to tighten the coax. If not the tuner of the tv bay be bad.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #9

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
I found my splitter under the bed and replaced it with a new one (super cheap at the hardware store). Although the original splitter looked fine, the replacement solved my problem.

It sounds like your issue may be the connection behind the tv. There’s another thread on the forum now that describes how to remove a tv from those tight wall brackets. Tightening the cable connection should do it.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:15 AM   #10

THOR #11834
Cable TV Poor Reception

Thank you for all your suggestions. Currently I am at a campground without cable. Once I get to my next spot, I will try your suggestions to see if reception improves.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #11

THOR #11834
It’s now 2022, and still do not get a good picture on any of my three TVs. I have chased down and tightened every connection I could get my hands on, and still get lousy cable viewing. Over the air antenna reception is clear, HDMI connection is good. I don’t know what else to do, so now I want to look into having it repaired. Who do I contact, a TV repair service, or bring it to an RV facility like Camping World?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
It’s now 2022, and still do not get a good picture on any of my three TVs. I have chased down and tightened every connection I could get my hands on, and still get lousy cable viewing. Over the air antenna reception is clear, HDMI connection is good. I don’t know what else to do, so now I want to look into having it repaired. Who do I contact, a TV repair service, or bring it to an RV facility like Camping World?
So to summarize this two year old thread:

You have a poor cable picture on all TVs?
You have a clear picture on all TVs from the OTA antenna?
You have a clear picture on all TVs using the HDMI input?

Sounds like a problem between the exterior cable TV connection and the power injector/splitter. Have you tried running a known good coax cable from the post outside directly to a TV inside through an open window to verify this is indeed the case? If it is it may be due to either:
A bad connection on either end of the RV cable (best scenario as it can be fixed easily), or:
The cable has a nail/screw through it or is crushed somewhere. In this case how difficult (expensive) the repair will be depends on your floorplan and ability to snake the replacement cable where it needs to go.

A Cable TV installer may be your best resource.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:33 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So to summarize this two year old thread:

You have a poor cable picture on all TVs?

You have a clear picture on all TVs from the OTA antenna?

You have a clear picture on all TVs using the HDMI input?

Sounds like a problem between the exterior cable TV connection and the power injector/splitter. Have you tried running a known good coax cable from the post outside directly to a TV inside through an open window to verify this is indeed the case? If it is it may be due to either:

A bad connection on either end of the RV cable (best scenario as it can be fixed easily), or:

The cable has a nail/screw through it or is crushed somewhere. In this case how difficult (expensive) the repair will be depends on your floorplan and ability to snake the replacement cable where it needs to go.

A Cable TV installer may be your best resource.

Perfect answer. But try running the test cable from the CG source to your splitter/source selector to see if all TVs are fixed. But get or borrow a new cable so you’re not using the cable you’ve been using when you connect to the source as that might be the problem rather than something in the unit. Basic troubleshooting.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #14

THOR #15745
You may want to get a Cable tv booster.
I found this on Amazon.com

24db Distribution Amplifier - Digital TV Antenna Booster
FMCA Member
Old 02-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
I'd like to know how this works:"When using HDMI connection to view off my phone...".

Is there a way to transmit a signal from your phone to the TV via HDMI? Is this Roku? Will it work for laptop -> TV?
Old 02-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I'd like to know how this works:"When using HDMI connection to view off my phone...".

Is there a way to transmit a signal from your phone to the TV via HDMI? Is this Roku? Will it work for laptop -> TV?
Some phones have an HDMI out to connect them directly to a TV. It's usually integrated into the USB-C or Lightning charging port so you need an adapter cable.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #17
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Purchase a new cable long enough to go from the park cable through a window and to the back of your TV directly. Clear picture, you have a bad cable, splitter, or switch box in your rig. Next get a barrel connector and use it to connect the cable that goes into the switch box to the new cable that is connected to you TV. If you have a clear picture, it is you switch box. If not, then you have a bad cable or splitter in your chassis. Splitters are cheep and so are cables.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #18

THOR #15745
First of all what type of phone do you have.
If it is an iPhone they offer an Apple HDMI VIDEO connector. Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter
Connect this to your iPhone and plug in the charger and an HDMI cable to the tv. I can connect mine to my HDMI distrbution box and can watch it on other TV’s in the coach.
Android also offers an adapter.
Check on Amazon.com.
FMCA Member
Old 02-03-2022, 11:24 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Thanks. I have a laptop I can hardwire to the TV. I was looking for a Wifi solution. Thought the phone reference might provide a lead down the right path.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:04 AM   #20

THOR #11834
Thank you for all your suggestions.