Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2023, 10:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26629
Fantasy RV Tours. Worth it?

Looking at this Southwest tour and wondering if anyone has gone with them and is it worth it.

https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/RV-To...M03022023/rl/0

Heading that way during that period and seems this would include almost everything in my bucket list. But 6 K for the two of us and then of course there will be added excursions.

But cost covers a lot. But we tend to boondock at National parks or State Parks but also we don’t have a toad so the transportation provided by this tour would be great.

Thoughts?

Old 03-02-2023, 10:58 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
We are taking the Alaska Your Way Trip this summer but I have not used them before. I have heard good things so far.

Personally I wouldn't use them for anything but Alaska. We have done a lot of trips out west, including the southwest and we had no issues planning what we wanted to see... where we wanted to stay.... and the types of campgrounds we wanted... and we could do it for less for the most part.

I'm only using them for Alaska because I didn't want to make the trip alone. There are a lot of remote areas and there is safety in numbers and it can help to have extra hands if a repair is needed.

If you don't have a toad and you are looking for excursions w/ transportation, then it might be good for you and to see the places on your bucket list. We have been to several of the places on that list so I can say it would be a nice trip.

While you are out that way, you might as well head to Albuquerque after the trip ends to see the annual Balloon Fiesta in early October. We were there last year and it is quite the spectacle. There is camping right at Balloon Fiesta Park and you wouldn't need transportation but you better hurry as it goes fast.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:54 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I hope you get more responses. We've not done a guided tour, but have heard positive things from several couples. They all mentioned the camaraderie,.

When I review the lower 48 tours, we have been to many of the places featured in theareas the tours cover. If we wanted to RV to Alaska or Mexico, we would seriously consider a tour group, because of security and mechanical assistance. It must be nice to have the planning and reservations arranged for you.

If you go, please report back.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:44 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
$6595.00 plus your fuel costs for 24 nights camping in Arizona and NM sounds pretty steep. Being told when to get up and hit the road, when to stop for lunch, what speed to drive, etc. sounds like being on convoy duty back in my military days. It was fun the first day 45 years ago but not my idea of seeing the sights today.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:04 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDoc View Post
Looking at this Southwest tour and wondering if anyone has gone with them and is it worth it.

Heading that way during that period and seems this would include almost everything in my bucket list. But 6 K for the two of us and then of course there will be added excursions.

But cost covers a lot. But we tend to boondock at National parks or State Parks but also we don’t have a toad so the transportation provided by this tour would be great.

Thoughts?
We wondered about these RV tours and approximately 12 years ago singed up for a low cost Fantasy RV Tour to gauge the experience. The comradery is great and we had a wonderful time. What we did not like was being on a fast paced schedule with very limited flexibility. Using one of these tour services to go to Alaska, as the Judge is doing, is a good ideal. You will traverse large expanses of wilderness were you will be glad for the support of a group. We did our own thing when we went to Alaska and had 5 motorhomes in our group.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:19 AM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
$6595.00 plus your fuel costs for 24 nights camping in Arizona and NM sounds pretty steep. Being told when to get up and hit the road, when to stop for lunch, what speed to drive, etc. sounds like being on convoy duty back in my military days. It was fun the first day 45 years ago but not my idea of seeing the sights today.
It's not the Army......

You don't have to travel with the group at the same time. You can leave or arrive when you like. You can stop anywhere you like at any time to see something or for lunch.

We opted for the Alaska Your Way version so we are not any any schedule as far when we need to eat.... when we need to be back to the campground... what we want to see.... or not see.

Now they do make the campground reservations so you do have to be at the campground on the days of the reservation..... but that's about it in our case. For us it was more about there being other people around in some of the remote areas for the safety aspect and for extra hands if a repair needs to be done in a remote area.

It is also about the camaraderie.... there will be a few group dinners and I'm sure we will meet other people who enjoy much of the same things we do... and perhaps make some a friend or two for life.

About 6 years ago we went on a snowmobile tour in Quebec. We ended up meeting another couple on the trip who lived an hour away from us. We have done annual snowmobile trips with them the last 5 years plus we have met them for dinner, etc. numerous times. That trip 6 years ago has paid back in dividends in terms of the fun times and memories made the past 5 years with our new friends.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:27 PM   #7

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I have never been a part of a tour group. But we've stayed at campgrounds that were hosting a tour several times. The people always seemed to be having a good time. They were going to great attractions in the area - all arranged by the tour operator and part of the price. Over the 35 years of driving up and down the Alaska Highway, we have seen 2 motorhomes receiving assistance from the tour guides. I'm sure they were very pleased with the service. Help when broken down is priceless.
I do want to address a couple of "myths" about driving the Alaska Highway. Most of the road is just fine It's not an interstate. Slow down and enjoy the journey. You'll have no problems. We have driven that road over 50 times and have only had one flat. Would it be great to have had assistance that one time. Yup. I've driven on some rough roads in the north and the south. Location does not seem to determine the condition of the highway.
The other "myth" from my perspective is safety. There used to be rule of the north - you never drove by someone broken down. You always stopped to see if you can help. That has changed a bit. A few years ago, we had a couple of young men who killed 3 people on the highway. It really shook us up because we felt the highway was safe. It was an isolated incident. But fewer people are stopping these days.
Now, I've been is some places in big cities where I have not felt one bit safe. And from I read in the news, random acts of violence is what should be very safe areas is not uncommon. Wackos are everywhere. I would much prefer to deal with a bear than a human.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Lets make a deal here!

You pay me $6595 and I'll drive you around to all these places and a few more.

If you're helpless, clueless, worthless or just lazy then by all means pay someone to guide you around by the nose. So you can have friends? Thats the only reason I could ever see paying this much to travel and see and do things we like, if I wanted to explore and share with others. But personally I don't feel compelled to pay for companionship and if I did she would be really hot and willing to do whatever I wanted.

We have been to all these places and a lot more. My advise? Use a trip planner like in GoodSam or another and lay it all out for yourself and by the time you are through with your trip you will of had just as much fun, seen more and spent less than half of the advertised price.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:32 PM   #9

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
My wife and I planned a trip last year going North then West and then South and back East to FL. Making plans and reservations was a big deal. We were at Yellowstone after the rain issue. The park was open and we were able to drive in and got to stay inside the park. It was Great. I just finished today planning our trip to the Southwest this morning agin no issues finding what I wanted with the schedule I wanted. We will be able to take down time whenever and wherever we want. I understand the company a tour might give, but we like the freedom that our plans give us. We will be gone for 59 days and will hit everything on our list.
Hope you make the correct decision and have a great time.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:49 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Lets make a deal here!

You pay me $6595 and I'll drive you around to all these places and a few more.

If you're helpless, clueless, worthless or just lazy then by all means pay someone to guide you around by the nose. So you can have friends? Thats the only reason I could ever see paying this much to travel and see and do things we like, if I wanted to explore and share with others. But personally I don't feel compelled to pay for companionship and if I did she would be really hot and willing to do whatever I wanted.

We have been to all these places and a lot more. My advise? Use a trip planner like in GoodSam or another and lay it all out for yourself and by the time you are through with your trip you will of had just as much fun, seen more and spent less than half of the advertised price.

You missed a key point from the OP..........

".....also we don’t have a toad so the transportation provided by this tour would be great."

Most, if not all, of the places he wants to go will require a vehicle of some sort. Renting and Uber costs money too and they are not always easily accessible.

We have always planned all of our trips. We booked campgrounds out 6 - 12 months. We booked the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque we did last October two years out.

We booked the Alaska Your Way Tour as I said for the safety aspects primarily as there is safety in numbers. It is difficult getting a gun into Canada and not worth the hassle. Some of the areas are pretty remote. I read about a guy and his wife who got hijacked by some 18 year olds at night and they were both killed and their rig taken in western Canada on their way to Alaska. Unfortunately that is the world we live in today.

It also helps to have some extra hands if a repair comes up. But in any case, I can see why the OP would want to go this route for the southwest.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:41 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany 42HQ
State: Ontario
THOR #7504
We are doing the Atlantic Canada 61 day tour, and can hardly wait. For what we are paying, I think it is quite reasonable. Everybody has different budgets. Enjoy the travels, and keep a smile on. We have all had repair issues, etc., but we still keep moving.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:20 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We are taking the Alaska Your Way Trip this summer but I have not used them before. I have heard good things so far.

Personally I wouldn't use them for anything but Alaska. We have done a lot of trips out west, including the southwest and we had no issues planning what we wanted to see... where we wanted to stay.... and the types of campgrounds we wanted... and we could do it for less for the most part.

I'm only using them for Alaska because I didn't want to make the trip alone. There are a lot of remote areas and there is safety in numbers and it can help to have extra hands if a repair is needed.

If you don't have a toad and you are looking for excursions w/ transportation, then it might be good for you and to see the places on your bucket list. We have been to several of the places on that list so I can say it would be a nice trip.

While you are out that way, you might as well head to Albuquerque after the trip ends to see the annual Balloon Fiesta in early October. We were there last year and it is quite the spectacle. There is camping right at Balloon Fiesta Park and you wouldn't need transportation but you better hurry as it goes fast.
Albuquerque Balloon Fest sites have been sold out since they opened in January. Wait lists were closed when they hit 3500 at the same time. Most if not all campgrounds in & around Albuquerque are full. I know people who are camping in Santa Fe & driving back & forth. If u want to do the Fest, u probably should start planning in October for 2024 unless u don’t mind either paying really big bucks or winging the whole thing hoping u are really, really lucky.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:26 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
Albuquerque Balloon Fest sites have been sold out since they opened in January. Wait lists were closed when they hit 3500 at the same time. Most if not all campgrounds in & around Albuquerque are full. I know people who are camping in Santa Fe & driving back & forth. If u want to do the Fest, u probably should start planning in October for 2024 unless u don’t mind either paying really big bucks or winging the whole thing hoping u are really, really lucky.

We booked the Koa in Bernalillo for the Balloon Fiesta 18 months in advance.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:06 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I totally understand safety you get in a group and if a breakdown happens the possibility of someone being able to fix it but it's very hard for me to justify the cost of the caravan. Way to much for me for what you get

Canada will not allow a handgun but a shotgun or long gun is allowed but you need to do the paperwork in advance. They have paperwork for handguns also but never approved. You could also UPS a handgun to a campground In Alaska so it's waiting there for you and send it home to another cg before exiting alaska

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:47 AM   #15

THOR #12751
Those are fair points…..

But at the end of the day I can afford it so the price is not an issue when I factor in the insurance of safery and potential help for repairs…. as unlikely as it may be.

We stay at nicer campgrounds most times and I’ll pay for a premium site if I feel the site warrants the price.

Life’s too short and I’ve planned for a comfortable retirement.

Financially speaking…. it also helps that I live in the great state Florida and not California….. no offense intended.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:00 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDoc View Post

Thoughts?
Great information.
I sent to our rv friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230308_185635_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	41162  
Old 05-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #17

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
For those with prior or active military service, The SMART (Special Military Active Recreational Travelers) group has "Caravans" that also explore the throughout the States, Canada and Alaska with guided tours. Prices seem reasonable. https://smartrving.org/Caravans/
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
As judge alluded,
Pay the price if you have the price to pay.

To most others responding:

Good for you and your independence.
But
So very very few of you actually digest an op position or question.

The question of;
'Where is my ass, I can't find it with both hands.'
(This is absolutely positively not aimed at the op. Op is just the vehicle for the logic)

Is often answered here by;
"Get a voltmeter and an endoscope. The programming needs jailbreaked and a metric specific torque wrench is needed. I installed lugnuts for one year at the GM plane, so I'm an engineer".

Spend the money, go on the trip. You want to do it or you wouldn't have researched.
We don't know if your funds are precious or two days of income.

You've aksed others, who it seems you might not trust or you wouldn't have asked here afterwards.
Follow their experience if you need justification/assurance.

In the is thread and these folk?
You're in Alaska and someone is defending their roads....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:59 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My same thoughts, Duck. For the amount of time my wife spent planning our National Parks trip we’re doing right now, $6595 is below minimum wage!

If I were traveling thru Canada to Alaska, I’d have a ham radio and a bird killer like Scuba got for his birthday.

I had a good friend and his wife travel into and across Canada a few years back in. Pickup pulling a camper. Had a generator in the bed of the truck. They stayed somewhere off the side of the road one night. Got up the next morning and wanted to use coffeemaker which required the generator. Opened their camper door to find a bear nosing around their units. It ended up being noon before the bear went on his way. Their camera/phone was charging in the truck cab. If theyd been with fellow travelers at least they may have gotten some pictures of the visitor.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
I've been to many of those places, almost all of the ones in Arizona. It's taken a lifetime to do that. When we visit, whether it is by RV or in the truck I am behind the wheel. I see little beyond the white and yellow lines. I am always struck by how much I miss, even around my own neighborhood, when I do get into the passenger seat.

So, yeah, I think there will be far more memories, far more rewarding experiences, in far less time by taking a tour like this where the driving and the parking is left to someone else.