Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The laser pointer idea isn’t bad if you have the time and if your event unfolds in a certain way. I expect that is not the usual case though. You might want to just have a laser on your weapon….

Old 08-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #122
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For self-defense in your RV: a sidearm is actually not a good choice for many circumstances.
Simply put: the sidewalls of an RV will barely slow down a projectile. Once it passes through the invader: who knows where it will end up?
In a campground: you are pretty much surrounded by other RVs...
I'd rather use an 18" barreled hinge-action 20 gauge... Load it with the smallest size shot you can get, and it'll take the steam out of ANY bad dude...

... and the shot will most likely stay in the target: if you do your job!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #123

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
S&W Shield 9mm. Its my daily carry. Never leave home without it.

Jerry
Like you I practice my ABCs : Always B Carrying. When seconds count police are minutes away. I carry something the reflects me: short, fat and slow: ACP 45. After carrying one in the military for a decade I just am comfortable with one.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #124
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I love "Ole Slabsides" also...
But it's just not the right tool for the job...
Old 08-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #125

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I carry ALL the time. And have shotguns and pistols to cover the particular circumstances. I have a concealed carry permit and it is reciprocated in all but 11 states. If I travel in one of those 11 states then I follow all federal guidelines. It's not worth the risk of losing everything, including your freedom.

On my boat and inside the motorhome I prefer 20ga Shockwave pump shotgun with appropriate shells.

In my truck I have a pistol in my door and also a 12ga pump shotgun.

On person I carry anything from pocket 380s to 9 or 40 cal pistols.

I train continously and it is seldom that a week goes by that I'm not at the range with one or more of the guns I carry. I have also hired personal defense trainers for firearms which is the best money I've ever spent. Self awareness / avoidance is the best defense.

One final thing I also carry firearm carry/liability insurance.

Me carrying has nothing to do with fear. I was raised to be prepared and self sufficient. It has served me well in life, flying, boating and RV'ing.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #126

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
For self-defense in your RV: a sidearm is actually not a good choice for many circumstances.

Simply put: the sidewalls of an RV will barely slow down a projectile. Once it passes through the invader: who knows where it will end up?

I'd rather use an 18" barreled hinge-action 20 gauge... Load it with the smallest size shot you can get, and it'll take the steam out of ANY bad dude...

I have a similar 12 gauge
Plus a pistol
Luckily other than a couple rattle snakes not needed
Old 08-20-2021, 11:22 PM   #127

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
I carry ALL the time. And have shotguns and pistols to cover the particular circumstances. I have a concealed carry permit and it is reciprocated in all but 11 states. If I travel in one of those 11 states then I follow all federal guidelines. It's not worth the risk of losing everything, including your freedom.

On my boat and inside the motorhome I prefer 20ga Shockwave pump shotgun with appropriate shells.

In my truck I have a pistol in my door and also a 12ga pump shotgun.

On person I carry anything from pocket 380s to 9 or 40 cal pistols.

I train continously and it is seldom that a week goes by that I'm not at the range with one or more of the guns I carry. I have also hired personal defense trainers for firearms which is the best money I've ever spent. Self awareness / avoidance is the best defense.

One final thing I also carry firearm carry/liability insurance.

Me carrying has nothing to do with fear. I was raised to be prepared and self sufficient. It has served me well in life, flying, boating and RV'ing.
Awesome: We were once boarded (boat in Seattle) by Cost Guard and Customs. The Customs guy dressed in black tactical gear ask" Do you have any weapons on board we should know about"..... My answer in my head was none that you should know about.... but I said sure thing want to see them? shot gun and ACP. I guess I got comfortable with both. While a corpsman with the Marines I carried a Remington 1100 and ACP 45. Still my favorite.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:04 AM   #128

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
Awesome: We were once boarded (boat in Seattle) by Cost Guard and Customs. The Customs guy dressed in black tactical gear ask" Do you have any weapons on board we should know about"..... My answer in my head was none that you should know about.... but I said sure thing want to see them? shot gun and ACP. I guess I got comfortable with both. While a corpsman with the Marines I carried a Remington 1100 and ACP 45. Still my favorite.
Thanks for your service. Great story. I love 45 also. I do carry larger calibers if hiking etc. I'm an avid old revolver collector too.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:35 AM   #129

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So... I can tote my standard barrel 20 gauge in literally every state without permits/questions? And what size/grain shells?

It started life as my first squirrel shotgun as a kid - until I wised up and started using a Winchester 17 shot .22 semi with a scope... I HATED picking that shot off the skin! A .22 head-shot made it nice and effective.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #130

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So... I can tote my standard barrel 20 gauge in literally every state without permits/questions? And what size/grain shells?

It started life as my first squirrel shotgun as a kid - until I wised up and started using a Winchester 17 shot .22 semi with a scope... I HATED picking that shot off the skin! A .22 head-shot made it nice and effective.
Make sure you carry steel shot in case they think you are bird hunting. Oh and a plugged shotgun, remember, 3 total in the gun.

EDIT adding; The best is getting the shotgun with a slug barrel. Short, has sights and when not being used for self defense you can remove a roof vent and do some road hunting. Hey hun, what's for supper?
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #131

THOR #22586
Quote:

I would opt for at least 7 1/2 or better 6. Remember if you have to use it in self defense there should only be 1 version of the events.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #132

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I would opt for at least 7 1/2 or better 6. Remember if you have to use it in self defense there should only be 1 version of the events.
I doubt a 30" shotgun(no matter the 18"barrel)could be wielded by our overweight tired old butts in a fashion condusive to defense within the confines of an RV.
Hell, if you banged it on a Wall and dropped it, many members here couldn't even bend over to pick it up. If you bang your head on the overhead bed enough times to have to ask how to remove the offending bed, you're not going be a grip of steel type when that shotgun barrel smacks the fridge door.
I'm pretty sure about 90% of an RV might not even allow room for racking a pump without great confinement.

Let alone the spouses so Many here write about needing steps stools and beds lowered just so they can function in a daily scenario allowing minutes of forethought. Picture them wielding the weapon you never had he/her even hold before.

If you think shotshell, think Judge or Senator.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #133

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Yes, Indeed, always have my permits. Need to find that laser pointer, see if it fits a Taurus 357
Old 08-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #134

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189

A State Trooper pulled an 87-year-old woman over for speeding.As he looked at her driver's license he was surprised to notice that attached to it was a conceal weapon permit.Taken aback, he couldn't help but ask, “Do you have a gun in your possession?”She replied in her crackly voice, “Indeed, I do. Why I have a 45 automatic in the glove box.”The trooper then asked if she had any other weapons.She replied, “I have a 9 mm Glock in the center console.”The shocked trooper asked, “Is that all the weapons you are transporting?The little old lady held up her purse and replied, "Well, I do keep a 38 special in my purse.” Finally, the astonished trooper asked, "What are you afraid of?”And the little old lady smiled and replied: "Not a F**king Thing.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #135

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
i have both the Virginia out of state permit, which doesn't require a 35 shot shooting signoff by an instructor, but found out this is not reciprocal to South Carolina. So, we both got training in SC and have 2 Concealed Carry Permits.

Be prepared to wait up to one yr to receive your permit in the mail. They are really backed up and it just takes that long.

i was at an un disclosed car race and at about 1 am in the morning, someone came up to my side window. I was alone and didn't know if they were going to return.

I went to bed with the .22 cal nex to my bed stand. The Taurus 605 stayed in the drawer compartment next to the front door.

I would suggest, If someone knocks on your RV door at 1 AM, you never open or un lock your door! Pull open the slider window on the passengers side and ask what the person wants. I told them to go away and that just made the situation worse.

I had to move my RV at 1 AM to another un disclosed spot and blend in to the other 100 RV's.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #136

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The laser pointer idea isn’t bad if you have the time and if your event unfolds in a certain way. I expect that is not the usual case though. You might want to just have a laser on your weapon….
I was thinking the same thing. All I thought about was the pissed-off burglar coming back with an AR or shotgun and peppering the RV. No thanks.

If I have to pull my Glock .40 w/laser, someone is either going to jail, or...
Old 08-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #137

THOR #24089
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
i have both the Virginia out of state permit, which doesn't require a 35 shot shooting signoff by an instructor, but found out this is not reciprocal to South Carolina. So, we both got training in SC and have 2 Concealed Carry Permits.

Be prepared to wait up to one yr to receive your permit in the mail. They are really backed up and it just takes that long.

i was at an un disclosed car race and at about 1 am in the morning, someone came up to my side window. I was alone and didn't know if they were going to return.

I went to bed with the .22 cal nex to my bed stand. The Taurus 605 stayed in the drawer compartment next to the front door.

I would suggest, If someone knocks on your RV door at 1 AM, you never open or un lock your door! Pull open the slider window on the passengers side and ask what the person wants. I told them to go away and that just made the situation worse.

I had to move my RV at 1 AM to another un disclosed spot and blend in to the other 100 RV's.

lol... My German Shepherd answers the door, but we (especially he) always know who's coming, as I use this and set up motion sensors. Bears / burglars, the fuzz etc... - it works great. 1/2 mile range

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #138

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis25.2 View Post
lol... My German Shepherd answers the door, but we (especially he) always know who's coming, as I use this and set up motion sensors. Bears / burglars, the fuzz etc... - it works great. 1/2 mile range

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Our Belgium Malinios would have fun. Bark. Bad guy starts to run away: after a good head start I let the dog go and watch. As the dog holds the guy by the balls I dial 911 for the ambulance that is going to be needed.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #139
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
The scumbags don't want a fight: they want to get in, and get gone!
Minimize the chase of a "pass-through", and let them stumble out the door leaking...
Ending them: isn't necessary...
Old 08-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #140

THOR #22586
Quote:
The scumbags don't want a fight: they want to get in, and get gone!
Minimize the chase of a "pass-through", and let them stumble out the door leaking...
Ending them: isn't necessary... :nonono:
yesyesyes

The last few posts miss an important critical point. Scumbag lawyers and prosecutors with an anti-gun/anti-self defense agenda. Someone breaking in means harm and they will resort to physical harm if given the chance. It's ludicrous to interview them to find out their intent and level of propensity for violence. My opinion is when this situation develops, there needs to be one version of the events. Obviously it's best if the perp is at least partially inside when this happens. Sad part there will be probably lots of paperwork.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ