Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #1

Brand: DRV
State: Florida
THOR #5314
King pin

How many use a king pin lock on their fifth wheel when leaving for day trips?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo View Post
How many use a king pin lock on their fifth wheel when leaving for day trips?
I don't have a fifth wheel but I've been RVing a long time. I don't believe I've ever seen a king pin lock except for rigs in storage and then only rarely.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I do not put one on, but I fulltime in mine. It would take them some time to get it ready to transport. And it would be obvious going down the road with the slides still open. If I ever felt unsafe in a CG I would just move to another one.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
When we had our 5th wheel we always locked the kingpin. Some slides are far easier to defeat and close than others, and if they break in it won't take much to close them either.

It depends on how much you value your belongings if it does get stolen. In the Southwest your 5th wheel can be easily closed up and rolling in less than 5 minutes, and is not likely to ever be found once it is moved to its new remote location.

They are not going to take the time to store everything away before it's rolling so it's not like when you are getting ready to depart. It's quick, it's efficient, and it's usually gone forever!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
It takes about 30 seconds or less with a battery powered cutoff off wheel to defeat a king pin lock. If someone is determined to steal your trailer, they will have one with them.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Someone cutting off a kingpin lock tends to draw a little more attention and would be far more likely to raise suspicion than someone getting hooked up and departing.

Unless they are targeting a specific rig they are far more likely to take one without a lock, than one with a lock! It's a deterrent.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
It takes about 30 seconds or less with a battery powered cutoff off wheel to defeat a king pin lock. If someone is determined to steal your trailer, they will have one with them.
Probably true but most aren't going to bother, they'll look for an easy grab with no lock.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #8

Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Someone cutting off a kingpin lock tends to draw a little more attention and would be far more likely to raise suspicion than someone getting hooked up and departing.

Unless they are targeting a specific rig they are far more likely to take one without a lock, than one with a lock! It's a deterrent.
Agreed.
Although we do have a pin lock, we seldom use it in our typical CG's while setup. As someone mentioned there would be a fair amount of departure procedure to get done. On very few occasions we've chosen to drop the trailer for a short time somewhere other than a CG. I've used it. Like any type of locking device they tend to only keep honest people from borrowing what isn't theirs or looking for an easier prey.
Conversely one might argue: Well someone is going to steal my vehicle anyway I might as well leave the keys in the ignition to make it easier for them?
Best of luck.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

Model: 38RSSA
State: Maryland
THOR #4040
King Pin Lock

We do use a king pin lock. It is just a part of our set and departure routine.

We use a commercial trailer king pin lock which work pretty well.

Don
DonandPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Model: 41RSSB4
THOR #5859
Wouldnt the first thing the insurance co ask after a claim for stolen property: was it locked?
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #11

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Wouldnt the first thing the insurance co ask after a claim for stolen property: was it locked?
I would say yes that all of the doors and windows were locked. I would doubt that any insurance company would expect you to buy, install and use every aftermarket part that is made for security.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #12

THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post

Don
Like you, it seems like cheap insurance to us. Much like being aware of one's surroundings who wants to play a victim.

Be well.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #13

THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonandPatti View Post

Don
Like you, it seems like cheap insurance to us. Much like being aware of one's surroundings who wants to play a victim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
I would say yes that all of the doors and windows were locked. I would doubt that any insurance company would expect you to buy, install and use every aftermarket part that is made for security.
Good point.
Ironically, every time I lock any door, hatch, or compartment on a coach I cringe. I think about the flimsy lock assemblies, the universal keys, wondering if all the cylinders are pinned the same etc. How many other folks in this CG use the same key blanks? It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Our old Travel Supreme at least had a residential kwikset dead-bolt that I was able to re-pin or swap out the cylinder easily.
Be well.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If your compartments have the 751 key then probably 65-75% of the other rvs next to you have the same key, which doesn't really matter as with a screwdriver you could open all compartments & the doors quicker than taking the key out of your pocket. Companies have finally changed out the door locks so most are not the same nowadays.
If the rv is broken into it had better have been locked or your insurance is going to say "aw', that's too bad, wish we could help", but I don't think they'd ask about a king pin lock if stolen.
We stay in privately owned parks & folks there are usually very good about watching out. City, state, county campgrounds is where I worry about stuff walking off, they typically draw a different crowd. I call them weekend warriors, they show up hoot/holler/raise a ruckus for a couple days, pack up Sunday afternoon & leave a mess behind, hopefully I haven't offended anyone here.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #15

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrek View Post

Good point.
Ironically, every time I lock any door, hatch, or compartment on a coach I cringe. I think about the flimsy lock assemblies, the universal keys, wondering if all the cylinders are pinned the same etc. How many other folks in this CG use the same key blanks? It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Our old Travel Supreme at least had a residential kwikset dead-bolt that I was able to re-pin or swap out the cylinder easily.
Be well.
The most used key is the CH751 key. But this only opens the:
Power cord locker
Water/dump bay
Bay to the hydraulic controls
Small storage on the RR
The battery bay

You can also replace the CH751 key locks for a round kryptonite style one.
Every other key
The entry door
The three doors to the basement storage
Are a different key.
Bottom line is Locks only keep honest people honest. If someone wants your things, they will break what ever is needed to get it.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:22 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #3109
I don't think there is any clause in my policy that says 'no valid theft claim if RV is not locked'. Is there something like that in there somewhere?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:36 AM   #17

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I don't think there is any clause in my policy that says 'no valid theft claim if RV is not locked'. Is there something like that in there somewhere?
Not sure, but every policy could be different. The fine print we'll let you know.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
When I had my 5th wheel I never used a king pin lock. I did however have the tripod, which made a fast and easy grab and go kind of hard . I also then had a little more stability in the unit.