Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3
THOR #20312
Thanks, that is good that it is a rare problem.
__________________

__________________
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:38 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Gary can you orient me on your picture. I received my 2017 36RSSB3 in December, 2016, and have towed it at least 20k miles. I am frequently inspecting my unit and fix and tighten as needed, but I have noticed nothing loose on my back cap, and no visible gaps. I may try some preventative maintenance, but the few pictures that I've seen, I cannot determine exactly what I'm looking at.
If you look at my write up, I did a mechanical drawing.
__________________

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:44 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
Is this a problem on all DRVs? We have a 2020 41RKSB4. I would rather "fix" a common problem before its a problem. Thanks
It’s not as common as the cracking caulk. I had screws back out and the bottom radius was developing a gap. Plus my interior corner molding and base molding were starting to come lose. After doing to research I came up with two issues that were causing these problems. The rear wall is not supported and people reported see the cap move when in transit. And the screws below the horizontal rail have little to no backing. So I addressed both issues. Here are the two write ups I did on it,
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...fix-21780.html

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ews-21740.html
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Brand: DRV
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3
THOR #20312
rynosback, thank you for the links. I am going to take a look at this.
__________________
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
Posts: 333
THOR #2053
rynosback did a great job on fixing a problem and leaving documents for everyone else to use..
My question is=how in the hell can anyone see their rear cap doing anything while driving down the road? That would have to be a major problem!

Bill
__________________
If you are afraid to speak the truth out of fear of what others may think, it says a lot about who you are and what you will settle for.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
rynosback did a great job on fixing a problem and leaving documents for everyone else to use..
My question is=how in the hell can anyone see their rear cap doing anything while driving down the road? That would have to be a major problem!

Bill
I had friends follow me once and they mentioned the movement of the rear cap.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
rynosback did a great job on fixing a problem and leaving documents for everyone else to use..
My question is=how in the hell can anyone see their rear cap doing anything while driving down the road? That would have to be a major problem!

Bill
My wife follows behind me. And the guy that first did this stated that someone followed him and it stopped moving. But for me, the gaps that were there are no longer there and my screws are staying put.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
Posts: 452
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
Thanks, that is good that it is a rare problem.
It is not a rare problem at all.
Make two phone calls to RV's For Less and Cross RV and you can confirm it yourself.
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
It is not a rare problem at all.
Make two phone calls to RV's For Less and Cross RV and you can confirm it yourself.

Add Rolling Retreats to that list.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
Posts: 452
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Itís not as common as the cracking caulk. I had screws back out and the bottom radius was developing a gap. Plus my interior corner molding and base molding were starting to come lose. After doing to research I came up with two issues that were causing these problems. The rear wall is not supported and people reported see the cap move when in transit. And the screws below the horizontal rail have little to no backing. So I addressed both issues. Here are the two write ups I did on it,
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...fix-21780.html

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ews-21740.html
The lack of rear support mentioned here is quite obvious when you do a factory tour.
And on the right roads you can see the cap move in your mirror, or just have someone follow you.

Our street is only 18' wide, has a pretty good crown, no curbs and wire grass growing up though the edges. Let the tires run along the side where the pavement is not smooth and I can see the cap move left-right.
We only recently moved here, so actually seeing the cap move is new to me. But in the past I have placed tape on the center of the cap down to the trailer hitch and verified movement.


Our trailer was new May 2018, screws started falling out within a month.

DRV repaired in February/March 2019, We left Howe and made it to Gulf Shores, AL. By that time I had a crack in the repaired area several inches long.

DRV repaired August 2019
Left Howe and by the time I got to New Hampshire half the screws were half way out or gone.

The gap in the pictures changes from side to side depending on maneuvering I do backing into a space.
These pictures are after leveled, taken last week (after second repair) The hatch doors on both sides will not stay tight and sealed against the body.

The second two pictures are after leaving from the first repair. The tear started within a couple hundred miles.
Each hash mark is a travel day over 3.5 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696 copy.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	25922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1698 copy.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	25923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	25924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416 copy.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	25925  

__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
The lack of rear support mentioned here is quite obvious when you do a factory tour.
And on the right roads you can see the cap move in your mirror, or just have someone follow you.

Our street is only 18' wide, has a pretty good crown, no curbs and wire grass growing up though the edges. Let the tires run along the side where the pavement is not smooth and I can see the cap move left-right.
We only recently moved here, so actually seeing the cap move is new to me. But in the past I have placed tape on the center of the cap down to the trailer hitch and verified movement.


Our trailer was new May 2018, screws started falling out within a month.

DRV repaired in February/March 2019, We left Howe and made it to Gulf Shores, AL. By that time I had a crack in the repaired area several inches long.

DRV repaired August 2019
Left Howe and by the time I got to New Hampshire half the screws were half way out or gone.

The gap in the pictures changes from side to side depending on maneuvering I do backing into a space.
These pictures are after leveled, taken last week (after second repair) The hatch doors on both sides will not stay tight and sealed against the body.

The second two pictures are after leaving from the first repair. The tear started within a couple hundred miles.
Each hash mark is a travel day over 3.5 months.
HOLLY CRAP!! That looks Frankensteined. Looks like you need to secure that wall, add backers for the screws and replace that fender. WOW, WOW, WOW. So sorry this happened to you.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
Posts: 452
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
HOLLY CRAP!! That looks Frankensteined. Looks like you need to secure that wall, add backers for the screws and replace that fender. WOW, WOW, WOW. So sorry this happened to you.
The cap is just one problem of many.........
Still trying to work with DRV on all this but the china virus sure through a curve ball.

Of the dozens of issues we have that have not been corrected yet, this and brakes are the main problems we are dealing with now.
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
My rear cap is looking very much like yours Porthole.

What are the brake issues you speak of?
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
My rear cap is looking very much like yours Porthole.

What are the brake issues you speak of?
Is your rear fender getting worse?
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthole View Post
The cap is just one problem of many.........
Still trying to work with DRV on all this but the china virus sure through a curve ball.

Of the dozens of issues we have that have not been corrected yet, this and brakes are the main problems we are dealing with now.
I would not wait on DRV on brake issues as it is a safety issue. I personally would fix what needed to be fixed and document it. Hope itís something not to bad. Have you reached out to Kodiak about the brakes? As if I remember correctly it is their brake system. Let me know if you need their contact information.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
Caliper slide grommets are a HUGE issue!!!!!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
Posts: 452
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
My rear cap is looking very much like yours Porthole.

What are the brake issues you speak of?
I'm going to move this to a separate thread.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ems-23225.html
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
Posts: 452
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Caliper slide grommets are a HUGE issue!!!!!


No grommets to fail or slide bolts to loosen and fall out on the 9K brakes.
__________________
Thanks,
Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,557
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Is your rear fender getting worse?
Setting still since May so it's not moving.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,016
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Setting still since May so it's not moving.
Thatís great, so it is a good time to get everything secured. 😀
__________________

__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×