Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
I bought a trailer once that had “Bearing Buddys” on it. Double 3500# axles. Brakes on all 4 wheels.
I didn’t like the braking performance of the trailer, so up in the air it went. Pulled the tires and then the drums. Two of the drums had a rather large quantity of grease in the brake shoe ares, thereby making them ineffective. The grease seals were blown out on those two hubs.
I pulled the bearings out and washed them in solvent and was not surprised to find brinneling in the outer bearings. Mind you the real load is carried by the inner wheel bearing. The outers had somehow accumulated moisture which etched the races and caused the bearings to start the rapid decay.
I’ve always repacked my bearings by hand with a large glob of grease in one palm and then working it into the races.

Interesting to note here -
Most of the trailers you see alongside the highway with a hub and wheel missing are equipped with a zerk. I just don’t think most people know how to use them and even if they do, that does not preclude periodic visual inspection of the bearings...

Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
"Most of the trailers you see alongside the highway with a hub and wheel missing are equipped with a zerk"

I had to chuckle at this comment. You stop to evaluate each breakdown along the highway???

Reason your drum brakes had grease in them was because the quality of the grease seals. You have to go out of your way to buy QUALITY seals these days.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"Most of the trailers you see alongside the highway with a hub and wheel missing are equipped with a zerk"

I had to chuckle at this comment. You stop to evaluate each breakdown along the highway???

Reason your drum brakes had grease in them was because the quality of the grease seals. You have to go out of your way to buy QUALITY seals these days.
No I don’t stop at all of them. If someone’s broke down and looks like they need help, I pull over well in front of them, walk back and help. Lots of other drivers like to honk and laugh... I don’t get it...
I live in Minnesota during the warm months. You’ve heard of that place I’m sure... Land of 10,000 Lakes? Yeah, that one...
Lots of lakes means lots of boats. Many people are in too much of a hurry and are running 70+ with a trailer equipped with small tires in the 12-13” wheel size.
High speeds and little wheels make for a lot of bearing heat.
I’ve been stuck alongside the road many years ago and a kind person stopped to help us. I just want to repay that favor by helping others when I can.

As far as the seals on the trailer I bought - they were spring seals with double-lip seals. My local NAPA dealer tells me that people that pump grease in too fast or use a pneumatic/electric grease gun will push the seals out most every time.
I had no further problems once I serviced it properly.
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #24

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Are you talking about a motor home or a trailer? Some trailers come with zerk fittings from the factory, motor homes do not. They are automotive chassis and the wheel bearings, like your car, truck or vans shouldn't need to be re-packed. If the have zerk fittings someone put them on, bearing buddies, they do nothing but blow out seals. Your axles are not drilled and cross drilled for them.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
Are you talking about a motor home or a trailer? Some trailers come with zerk fittings from the factory, motor homes do not. They are automotive chassis and the wheel bearings, like your car, truck or vans shouldn't need to be re-packed. If the have zerk fittings someone put them on, bearing buddies, they do nothing but blow out seals. Your axles are not drilled and cross drilled for them.
Run away quickly!! You've stumbled into the DRV area.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote