Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: AXIS 24.1
State: California
THOR #27852
2017 tmc axis 24.1

Just purchased this low mileage (9800 mi) rig a few weeks ago. I've been casually looking at it for a few months. Very satisfied so far. My method of learning all of the coach systems is to do the maintenance chores. Now I know where everything is located and fixed/upgraded a few things along the way. I haven't tackled the chassis yet. I'm trying to get my head around an air filter change.
The TMC Owners Resource web pages gave me a complete library of manuals covering all the coach systems. Plus I got PDFs of many system user manuals. All stored on my iPad for easy access.

I've done the usual stuff: sanitized the fresh water system, replaced the coach batteries (the rig was parked and not plugged into shore power every time I checked it out - sure enough the batteries were long gone), upgraded the radio to Kenwood 907S for the superior display (I use the cameras and mirrors a lot), fixed the cook top (wire disconnected on the sparky igniter), treated gray and black tanks, checked fluids and belts. The other systems work fine.

Sent the wife out on an over nite trip to a local RV park to make sure she felt comfortable driving it, setting up, spending the night with one of the dogs, and tearing down the next day. She did great. She's off on a 2000 mile solo trip (well she'll have two of the dogs) for a dog show in the midwest.

So I'm downsizing from 1996 36' Thor Residency 3600 diesel pusher.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:55 AM   #2

Model: AXIS 24.1
THOR #27852
Just discovered Ed Felker's Axis Vegas manual and downloaded to my iPad. What a great resource.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are on your way with the new(to you) coach.

Paul
Old 09-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Welcome. Lot's to read here and a bunch of info. Most is pretty helpful.
We are in our 1st season with our 24.1.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We have a 2016 24.1 on e450 chassis for 6 years/44,000 miles. Has done great as camper, extra room and towing open race trailer at multiday events.

Good luck with yours. Learning curve is quick as unit is not complicated.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Good luck with yours. Learning curve is quick as unit is not complicated.
I believe you are correct about the 2016 Thor Axis since it doesn't have the BMPro display which controls everything on our 2021 Axis and adds a huge layer of complications.

Two areas where you may have trouble with complications on yours:

It has an automatic transfer switch which automatically selects generator or shore power. Mine gives priority to the generator which means if both are available it will select the generator.

Another complication which is true of all Class A MHs is the interface between chassis powered devices and coach powered. This gets particularly confusing since on the dash some are Ford supplied switches and devices and some are Thor supplied. I still don't understand how it all works. There is a relay box in the compartment under the driver's seat that controls most of these.

Have fun with your new to you MH. Ed's manual is a great resource.

David
Old 09-05-2022, 02:27 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! We had a Vegas for 6 years and over 40,000 miles.

Ed Felker's manual was a great resource. Thankfully, all of the issues addressed were not problems for our 2016 coach. Things like whistling A pillars and heat from the doghouse. That said, much of the contents apply to many other models, and likely other brands.

Be sure to check the dates on all the tires. If they haven't been replaced, you'll need to do that soon.

Replacing the engine air filter on our E350 required loosening a big hose clamp and disconnecting the air hose attached to the cover over the filter. I suspect yours is similar.