Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Florida
THOR #28437
Help with inverter

Due to Hurrricane Ian my wife and I suddenly find ourselves homeless. We purchased a 2017 Thor Miramar 35.2. I have never owned or been in an RV.
Can someone please help me out with info concerning the inverter? How to start it, when to use it, etc.
Thanks!

Old 11-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishbass View Post
Due to Hurrricane Ian my wife and I suddenly find ourselves homeless. We purchased a 2017 Thor Miramar 35.2. I have never owned or been in an RV.
Can someone please help me out with info concerning the inverter? How to start it, when to use it, etc.
Thanks!
The inverter supplies 120 volt AC power when you are not on shore power or running the generator. It draws all of its power from the house batteries. So unless you have a very large battery bank, the inverter must be used sparingly. Thor MC plant 850 only wires the TVs, electronic equipment compartment and the passenger's computer station with inverter power.

As your coach is probably equipped the inverter can only be used to power the TV when not on shore power or running the generator.

The inverter control panel has a small off/on button ins the upper left corner. It is used to turn it off/on. Operating manuals for your Xantrex Pro 1800 inverter are found on the Internet if not included in your Thor MC black bag.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Not sure what issues your having with your "inverter" or if you talking about the "converter"
An inverter converts 12 volt battery DC power to 120 volt AC power to a few select plugs such as a TV or residential fridge if equipped. It will not power the entire coach unless the whole storage compartments are full of batteries.
A converter uses 120 volt AC power to power 12 volt items onboard when connected to shore power or generator & charges the batteries. If operating slides, levelers or any other heavy amp draw items be sure you're connected to shore power or generator with fully charged batteries before operating or risk damaging the converter. When not connected to shore the 12 volt items such as lights, water pump, furnace will operate from the onboard batteries. If so equipped the fridge & water heater will run on LP, but need 12 volts to power their control boards. Also the furnace fan will run down the batteries very quickly & is a huge LP hog if running for long periods.
Sorry for being so long winded, hope some of helps!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:56 PM   #4

THOR #28437
inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The inverter supplies 120 volt AC power when you are not on shore power or running the generator. It draws all of its power from the house batteries. So unless you have a very large battery bank, the inverter must be used sparingly. Thor MC plant 850 only wires the TVs, electronic equipment compartment and the passenger's computer station with inverter power.

As your coach is probably equipped the inverter can only be used to power the TV when not on shore power or running the generator.

The inverter control panel has a small off/on button ins the upper left corner. It is used to turn it off/on. Operating manuals for your Xantrex Pro 1800 inverter are found on the Internet if not included in your Thor MC black bag.
Okay, sorry I am well below a novice. Maybe I should just ask the question I need to know now and worry about the particulars later.
So my question is when I disconnect shore power and go for a 200 mile drive how do I keep the refrigerator running?

Thanks so much
Old 11-08-2022, 11:04 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Thanks!
Sorry for your lose.
Youtube has helped us
Old 11-08-2022, 11:27 PM   #6

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Okay, sorry I am well below a novice. Maybe I should just ask the question I need to know now and worry about the particulars later.
So my question is when I disconnect shore power and go for a 200 mile drive how do I keep the refrigerator running?

Thanks so much
If it is a residential 120 fridge it will run off an inverter connected to the batteries. Many have a switch to turn the inverter on and off. It draws power not being used. If you have an rv fridge use propane. The motorhome uses power when not plugged into 120 volts. There is a disconnect switch for the batteries, mine is by the door. It should be on whenever using the motorhome If it will sit for days, turn the switch off. when you drive again turn it on. when you plug it in it will only charge the batteries with the switch on. if you have solar on the roof it will charge even with the switch off and charge the chassis battery also. Batteries use a lot of water, remove the caps and fill them with distilled water, don't forget the chassis battery. If there are no caps it's maintenance free no water added
Old 11-09-2022, 01:13 AM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
2017 Miramar 35.2 is a Residential Refrigerator

I’m wondering the OP’s inverter has an Auto Transfer Switch
Which means it’s always on, but shuts down when on Shore Power and allows the 120 volt to flow thru.
Then when shore power is un-plugged, inverter automatically turns back on
So you have uninterrupted 120 volt power 24/7

That’s what my set-up is and it’s very convenient.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:51 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:

Thanks so much
The batteries are connected to the inverter through a 200 - 250 amp 12 volt circuit breaker, located on the wall of your house battery compartment, so if you have battery power, your inverter can work.

The Xantrex Pro 1800 inverter must the turned on and off manually. It does not come on or go off automatically. When your coach's engine is running, the alternator will charge the chassis battery under the hood. There is a battery interconnect system installed in your coach that will allow the engine's alternator to also charge the house batteries. It as know as a BIRD which stands for battery interconnect relay delay. When the chassis battery is fully charged, the relay will close automatically keeping the house batteries charged. The use/store latching relay is not in this circuit.

You can also run the Onan generator to supply 120 volt to all the 120 volt devices in the coach and also charge the chassis batteries using your converter if the use/store latching relay is in the use position.
The simple answer is any time you are using the fridge, the inverter should be on and the coach will chose where the electricity comes from. Just remember to turn if off when you are not using the fridge so you don't run the house batteries down when not using the coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #9

THOR #10043
Quote:

Thanks so much
Check & see if you have a “ Store/Use” rocker switch. We have a ‘17 Thor Windsport & ours is near the entry way. If you have it switched to Use, you should be able to take your 209 mile trip & fridge (along with few lights & outlets) will operate like it’s supposed to. You can always just run the generator throughout your trip and everything works then, including AC.
Must still have it in Use mode
Old 11-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #18370
Okay…. I am so confused by all the responses�� I too have a Thor Miramar. I have the little gauge on the wall outside the bathroom wall. Do I leave the Green Lit Button In the.”ON” position All the time OR just when I need to use the inverter?!
Old 11-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
Okay…. I am so confused by all the responses�� I too have a Thor Miramar. I have the little gauge on the wall outside the bathroom wall. Do I leave the Green Lit Button In the.”ON” position All the time OR just when I need to use the inverter?!
I can see why you and perhaps the OP may be a tad confused.

Simply put you only turn the Inverter on, when you want the items connected to the Inverter to run off your house batteries.

You should NOT leave the Inverter in "ON" position all the time, unless you have some type of power recharging the batteries (i.e engine running, or shorepower)

Generally speaking, whenever I am driving, I always have the Inverter On, because my batteries are being recharged by the engine. You should too always have Inverter on when driving.

Every coach is different with the way it is wired to inverter, how many ah capacity etc.

I added my Norcold / Propane fridge to my Inverter circuit to do what yours does from the factory, so when I drive, my fridge can stay On to get power from batteries. I don't run my genny when driving unless I need ACs on. When I stop, I can go about 5 hours before my fridge will run down my batteries if I leave the Inverter on with no shorepower or no engine running. But I don't have residential fridge so it is not as efficient as your coach using electricity. But I do have propane so when I turn my Inverter off, it automatically switches to propane.

You should be able to go overnight with your residential fridge Inverter on with no SP or engine running; if not your check batteries and their capacity.

Note: I do have a 2nd fridge that is outside that was wired to Inverter by Mfg and it is a Residential fridge, if I use it, I may go 24 hours or longer before it drains down my batteries.

I hope this helps
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:08 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Not to throw a wrench into things…BUT
My zantrex inverter has a pass through.
Connect to shore power, inverter switches to pass through mode.
Unplug shore power, inverter runs.
I never turn it off.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:29 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Not to throw a wrench into things…BUT
My zantrex inverter has a pass through.
Connect to shore power, inverter switches to pass through mode.
Unplug shore power, inverter runs.
I never turn it off.
Terry
My inverter has a pass through too, and it does exactly what you say if my Inverter is on. Of course if my Inverter is off, it only gets power when shorepower or generator is on.

Now my question for you. If you never turn your Inverter off, how do you prevent your batteries from draining when there is no Shorepower, no Generator or no Engine running?

I have 125ah of capacity and I will be fine leaving Inverter switch On while I have battery capacity, but at some point depending on amps actually used or amp draw / hr my house batteries will drain.

So I shut my Inverter OFF if I don't need the power through Inverter from the batteries. That is the purpose of why the switch is there.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:46 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo73 View Post
Check & see if you have a “ Store/Use” rocker switch. We have a ‘17 Thor Windsport & ours is near the entry way. If you have it switched to Use, you should be able to take your 209 mile trip & fridge (along with few lights & outlets) will operate like it’s supposed to. You can always just run the generator throughout your trip and everything works then, including AC.
Must still have it in Use mode
The USE/STORE switch has nothing to do with an inverter or residential fridge.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:

Thanks!
I too have a Miramar so I can answer questions specific to your unit.

Leave the inverter on unless you no longer need the fridge. It has a pass through so if you're plugged into shore power or running the generator the current simply passes through so you don't need to turn it off.

The only time I turn mine off is when I'm not planning on using the coach for awhile. It will power the fridge and many plug ins on that side of your coach, using the batteries when your parked for a few hours or traveling. If your batteries drop too low, it will let you know by beeping. Then recharge your batteries by plugging in, running the generator or engine through the alternator.

Side note... Leave the use/store switch on use mode unless storing for several days. It has to be in use to charge your batteries from any source.