Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Yes, I do have a bird (drivers side of the engine compartment ) And I will check tomorrow to see if the alternator is charging the house batteries.
The chassis battery is not charging when on shore power at all, although a month ago it did
Where is the Trombetta located ?

Also discovered that the house batteries when not connected to the charger and with nothing turned on show 12.48 volts which seems to me to be too low.
I know the house batteries provided by Thor are low quality so even if my chassis battery bounces back ( which it seem to be doing) The house batteries may be toast.
In my 2016 Axis, the Trombetta is in front of and to the right of the BIRD (when looking at it drom the front). It is the thing with two upright posts with large red wire coming off them. The right red wire runs to the chassis battery and the left one runs to the coach batteries. One of the wires from the BIRD runs to the right hand post and has a fuse attached to it. When not connected to outside power (and after an hour to stabilize) the house batteries will read between 12.7 (fully charged) down to 10.8 (pretty dead). 12.48v is pretty normal for a partially discharged battery. If the chassis battery did charge from shore power at one time, but does not now, then obviously something broke.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Here is a picture of the BIRD and the Trombetta. As long as the coach batteries are charging above 13.1v under shore power or the generator, the Trombetta should open and charge the chassis battery. One shore power is turned off and the coach and chassis batteries fall below 12.8v the BIRD opens the Trombetta disconnecting the two banks. If the chassis battery is not charging after the coach batteries reach 13.1v then the Trombetta is not opening. Either the Trombetta or the BIRD is not functioning correctly. If the systems works in reverse- i.e the alternator charges both the chassis and coach battery, then it probably is not the Trombetta - it is probably the BIRD. One easy thing to check is the fuse that is between the BIRD and the Trombetta. If the fuse is good and the Trombetta is not opening either with shore power or the alternator, I have read that one person was able to unstick the Trombetta by rapping it lightly. However, it could be either the Trombetta or the BIRD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4181.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	3603  
Old 04-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Axis Battery + Pos Terminal Bolt Thread – Left Hand?

Hi Folks,
Please assist.
I’m about to do some work on the Engine battery in our 2017 Axis 25.2. (it’s a 2016 E450 Chassis)
And planning not to go through the dashboard.
So took a couple of telephone photos in the areas I can’t see clearly.
I notice there is an LH stamped next to the Clamp Bolton the on Ford Royal Battery Clamp on the + Positive Clamp.
Can you advise if that is a left-hand thread?
Guessing, no, but looking at the thread just not sure.
Anyway, I’d appreciate any insights you have.
Thank You, James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axis E450 + Pos Terminal Clamp Bolt.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	16640  
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote