Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 AM   #41
Ron

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
Happy!

I forgot to mention that we are extremely happy with our Thor!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #42

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #1124
I am also very happy with my Thor ACE. The biggest issue to date had been the generator overheating and shutting down, Long story short, Thor made the correction by swapping the propane tank with the gen set and I am looking forward to having comfortable travels this summer by (hopefully) being able to use the house air. Like most, I enjoy tinkering and doing most fixes/mods myself if I can. The less time in the shop gives me more time in the MH.
I have to say this too, I really enjoy keeping it clean. I have even been on the creeper and cleaned the undercarriage, engine, tranny, all suspension front to back. But, that's what I do (cuz I'm a bit insane and OCD), and do so even on my daily drivers.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #43

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I am WAY happy with ours. It wasn't perfect but as a tinker person I like to know things are the way I want them!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #44

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
Did the Safe-T-Plus make a significant difference with the swaying under wind conditions?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #45

Model: Class C / Chateau 31L
State: Iowa
THOR #1763
Hi, I'm new to this forum. (today) We had a 2008 Four Winds 31p. We needed more room in the living room / kitchen and a place for clothes so we took out the captains chair and my dad built us a dresser that fit perfectly in it's place. We got four drawers and nice counter top space. We seldom sat in the chair anyway. We had lots of issues over the years but we fixed most of them ourselves. Some we couldn't but thankfully nothing horrible. We loved our unit but it was time to upgrade so we pick up our 2014 class c 31L Chateau on Friday. It was sad cleaning out the 2008. But were excited for our new one. We love camping and hopefully when things go south (other than us on our way to Florida) we'll be able to fix them our selves. We're having a Direct tv Travler Satellite antenna put on the roof. I hope that goes well. Can't wait to get out there and use it. P.S. we put the chair back in and kept the dresser my dad made.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #46

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
THOR #1497
Yes, we are happy with our Thor. I had some concerns after reading all the negative comments on the web and voiced those concerns to the Thor rep and the dealership when I purchased our 36MQ. They assured me they would resolve any issues uncovered to my satisfaction.

We've had several minor issues that have been resolved by the dealership and one that Thor asked to return to the factory to resolve, although the dealer could have corrected the issue....but Thor thought they could fix it better due to the QC and location of the problem. Thor paid for all the cost associated with the return.

My take is that it much like buying a house, but on wheels. Who has not bought a new house and had the builder come back and resolve some issues? Our plan is keep doing "operational test" runs, about 4 days a month, for the next year with a couple of longer 2 week trips thrown in. Next year when the daughter graduates from college we will hit the road for longer durations and hopefully we will have worked out all the bugs...as well as increase our understanding of the coach's operation.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #47

State: Georgia
THOR #1547
We have had our Axis for 14 months now, and we are happy campers, too! Researched long and hard when we downsized, and drove to the Tampa show to see one, since no dealer in GA had one in January, 2014! Though some of the early problems were frustrating, Thor stood behind all of our issues during the warranty period.

As I have said previously, we credit our being able to use our trusted independent techs, instead of a dealership, with a large part of that satisfaction. We already had a good rapport with our mobile tech because he worked on our previous coach, and he did most of the warranty work at our house. Worked out great! We also used a second excellent tech with his own shop, who was great with power and chassis problems. Between these two, we never had to leave our Axis overnight for service, and we always knew someone we trusted was working on it!!

We really like how functional our 24.1 is in a fairly small footprint. Only change we would absolutely love to have would be a bigger shower. Am surprised that Thor has not developed an RUV floorplan on an E450, several feet longer, and put most of that space in the bathroom with possibly a second slide and a walk around bed. Would have to think long and hard if that floorplan became available, but we definitely wouldn't go back to a full width coach again to get it!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 AM   #48

THOR #1620
That is good news they allowed you to use an independent repair person. That should give us all a little better feeling. Should I have any issues that I can't fix that was the route I was going to take before driving 3 hours back to camping world.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #49

State: Georgia
THOR #1547
thor293,

Yes, Thor was very accommodating about letting us use our own tech. Since we had to go out of state to find an available Axis to purchase, we did not have a local dealership, and you know how they hate working on a coach you didn't buy from them!!

We still had to get all estimates approved before work was started, and pay the tech, and then wait for Thor's reimbursement check. Warranty parts were sent directly to us, so we knew we had the right parts before a job was started. Definitely a good warranty option if you are willing to do all of of the phone calls and coordination yourself!!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #50

THOR #1327
The Axis being our first RV, is it normal to have to shout at my wife while driving on the highway due to the excessive noise? Now, I can't expect the quietness of our Lexus but I am thinking we might have to wear those Headphones geared for motorcyclists (ha,ha).

Has anyone else had this experience? And would it different in a Class C with different aerodynamics?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:31 AM   #51

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Maybe the noise from my Subaru Outback is quite high but my wife has no problem in communicating an issue or task to me while we are driving.

We were once driving through the south when a state trooper pulled me over and asked if I had accidentally left my wife at the last fuel stop. I thanked him for bringing her with him and told him that I didn't realize she was not with me...I thought I had just gone deaf.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:38 AM   #52

THOR #1327
aa9zz,

Great joke about wives...I can appreciate your point!

Seriously though do you think the noise from the wind hitting the windshield on the Class A is excessive?like the Axis?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #53

THOR #1075
I really do not notice extra noise. To me the Axis seems quiet enough. I am comparing this to my previous unit and it seems as quiet or even more quiet than the Airstream Class B unit that I sold to get the Axis.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #54
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
Road noise

Evergreen, the noise you describe sounds excessive. You shouldn't have to shout to be heard. Is it wind noise? Engine noise? Maybe the engine cover is not installed properly.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #55

THOR #1620
My ACE is a bit noisy but not as bad as my Class C Coachmen was. Listening to the radio was not an option without blaring it. I finally had to install speakers right at ear level and even that was not fail safe. Sometimes you could recognize the song but couldn't get the beat down to it, weird. Now the ACE has the speakers in the ceiling behind you about 3 feet. I added the speakers I took out of the other RV and just laced them on the hump right by the radio and we can hear petty well. That tells me it is a bit quieter.

While you're driving open the window a little on each side one at a time and see if it gets better or worse
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #56

THOR #1327
I believe it's the wind more than engine. There is a "whistle-like" sound that starts at about 40-45 mph and gets louder. I am wondering if there is a massive air leak in the front windshield? Between this noise and having to " hang onto " the steering wheel, it was a most difficult ride these last two days doing 750 miles. I will call Thor customer service later today.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #57
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Might be the upper portion of the grill try duct taping it before you drive it next time there was a thread going on here about it a while back
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #58
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49
I believe it's the wind more than engine. There is a "whistle-like" sound that starts at about 40-45 mph and gets louder. I am wondering if there is a massive air leak in the front windshield? Between this noise and having to " hang onto " the steering wheel, it was a most difficult ride these last two days doing 750 miles. I will call Thor customer service later today.
Ours had a slight whistle noise at first. I don't notice it now as much. The coach also seems a bit quieter since I doubled up on the doghouse insulation.
As far as driving: Did you get an alignment on your Axis? It made difference on how ours drives.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #59

THOR #1075
I was going to suggest you contact JamieGeek. I think he posted pics of how he added insulation in the dog house area that helped to deaden noise.

Jamie, do you remember what thread you posed in?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #60

THOR #1327
Jamie

We had the alignment done by the dealer at the time of delivery. Of course this is our first "loaded" trip since we picked it up. Do we need another alignment with only 1300 miles on it?