Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #21
Cpd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup..Same here..I trucked over the 49 states for 50+ years, while the wife had a job with state treasury and held down the fort..

We had a 34' gasser class A parked in a semi permanent site near my employer [300+ miles from home] that I used when I got back to the yard ,but did not have enough time between loads to go home.
When I was forced to retire after receiving artificial shoulders, Sold the gasser and Bought our Foretravel ..
When the Wife decided enough was enough after 35 years and retired, We sold the S & B home , left Oregon for South Dakota and began the FullTimer lifestyle..
I also Really enjoy showing Her the "Real USA" that She never had experienced.... Like enjoying "Fried Pickles or an evening of drinking RC Cola and nibbling on a Moon Pie!..While watching a bug zapper....[AKA southern entertainment Center]
For me.. Now I can stop and See everything I've had to just drive on by in the truck and wonder "What was that?
Happy Trails
Life is sure different with no schedule.��

Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
Katee and I started with a tent near a fishing lake and my son decided at 5am it's time to get going. Needless to say Katee nor my daughter weren't ready to move and a few more tent trips made it clear we needed to do something else. We buy a pop-up, beats sleeping on the ground but it lacks bathroom facilities for the ladies and that lasted a couple of years and next is our first 5er. Small but adequate for the 4 of us but the kids are getting bigger and time for a larger 5er. Third 5er at 34' and I was tired of towing, get a larger truck or move to a class A. Bought a 27' winnebago which I hated and immediately traded for a 34' Monaco diesel pusher. We kept the Monaco for 4 years and traded to a Fleetwood 37' Pace Arrow. Kept the Pacer 5 years traded to a 40' diesel pusher. Three years later traded to a Hurricane 35M, two years later and traded for a Vegas 24.1. We've been camping or RVing for about 35 years and no plans yet to quit. Needless to say we're nuts [emoji2957]
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 AM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As I mentioned earlier: I started camping over 55 years ago with my folks...
But my Missus had never tried it. To her: "camping" was when room service shut down before Midnight.
To her credit: she took to it like a duck takes to water., and we're now always looking forward to the next great adventure!
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 AM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I occasionally camped before I met my wife but it wasn't anything hardcore. After getting married, we camped more frequently and just sort of worked up to pop-ups, bumper pulls and then motorhomes. Nothing special to our story.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:27 AM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Anyone have an interesting reason they are into RVing

My family tent camped in the 60s and I moved up through pop ups to a couple of TTs and a small class C in the 90s before giving it up for work and family needs. Jumped back in when I retired in 2016. Bought another TT but only kept it for about 3 months. Got a 26 ft freedom Elite that we only had for about 6 months. Crazy expensive learning curve took us to our current 30ft class A (SOB). Whew!!
Old 03-02-2021, 03:26 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Let see we bought a 18 foot colt bullet travel trailer and camped 90 days straight with 2 golden retrievers..then decided on a Thor vegas
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #27

Model: Infinity
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12753
I got into RVing when me and two of my friends were to buy an class A RV to go to NASCAR races. The one friend backed out so just two of us went in on it and the first trip to Pocono the engine blew about 5 miles into the trip. After a few years of dealing with that rig we got rid of it and I bought another one a class C we had that for many years then we bought a fifth wheel that we used to go to different campgrounds until we bought another class A so we put the fifth wheel at a permanent spot and use the A to go to different campgrounds.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Punchline:
The unwashed and untamed and uncaring have driven us to carry our hotel on our back. The food is there, the clothes are hung in the closet, the a.c. doesn't rattle all night in a $200 room and no kids are tap dancing on our ceiling.

Well said Duck!, and momma doesn't have to put her booty on a toilet seat sat on by 100 people an hour!
Old 03-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mac,
My Missus agrees with you.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mac,
My Missus agrees with you.

Heck Yeah, nice to pull in a truck stop and fire up the generator and cook mamma a panini sandwich while she uses the bathroom and checks on her road train.

Then I am back to riding passenger, drinking a beer and playing on the internet all while getting drove around in style! HA
Old 03-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #31

THOR #20220
Fresh air, trees , movie night with nature
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 03-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #32

THOR #20220
https://www.myopencountry.com/best-camping-in-montana/
Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 PM   #33

State: Florida
THOR #22411
After Hurricane Michael we needed a place to live. Apartments that were available were to far away and too expensive. We looked into the option of a motorhome and were convinced. We had planned to buy in the future, the storm just moved things up. We lived for 18 months in "Serenity" in our driveway while we repaired our home. Now we are back in our home with the motorhome ready for travel.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:13 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Heck Yeah, nice to pull in a truck stop and fire up the generator and cook mamma a panini sandwich while she uses the bathroom and checks on her road train.

Then I am back to riding passenger, drinking a beer and playing on the internet all while getting drove around in style! HA
When I grow up: I want to be you!
Old 03-09-2021, 12:37 AM   #35

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Punchline:

Well said Duck!, and momma doesn't have to put her booty on a toilet seat sat on by 100 people an hour!
SWMBO..is slowly nodding her head...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:32 AM   #36
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
Since the kids grew up and moved on we have adopted dogs.We like our dogs pretty well, in fact we don't trust anyone else to care for them, so we either have to take separate vacations or travel with them. We have found that it is pretty easy to travel with the dogs in the motorhome. They range from tiny to small, three of them now. That is actually one too many for my preference, but what are you going to do.....
I'm kind of a home body and camping (I use the term loosely) is a great way to see the country and stay at home at the same time. Not to mention finding some warmer temperatures in the winter time. I like toys though, and I'm having trouble carrying enough of them on the trailer. The Jeep Wrangler and Honda Africa Twin worked pretty well on this last trip, but I wish I could fit more toys on.......
Old 09-13-2022, 07:28 PM   #37

State: Florida
THOR #11783
How we got started in rving

In 2010 I became fully disabled. Started looking for a disability van that would fit my custom built zero gravity chair. Finally found a 2012 fleet wood pulse. Chair fit perfectly. Could buzz around town in this sprinter based van. Decided to visit relatives in the van we called FREDY. Front engine diesel. Hadn't been able to go visiting for a long time. We were hooked. Now everywhere I go I can actually bring my own toilet. We finally ended up with a 2018 Vegas 25.3 . The best designed small a class A Van I have ever seen. Recently we lost everything in a house fire. Including our 2 cars. Thank God for our Vegas. We now live in it.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
In 2010 I became fully disabled. Started looking for a disability van that would fit my custom built zero gravity chair. Finally found a 2012 fleet wood pulse. Chair fit perfectly. Could buzz around town in this sprinter based van. Decided to visit relatives in the van we called FREDY. Front engine diesel. Hadn't been able to go visiting for a long time. We were hooked. Now everywhere I go I can actually bring my own toilet. We finally ended up with a 2018 Vegas 25.3 . The best designed small a class A Van I have ever seen. Recently we lost everything in a house fire. Including our 2 cars. Thank God for our Vegas. We now live in it.

Great story from you and everyone.
My wife was born in little miles city MT and had never seen much of the USA. SO 18ft TT & then vegas 25.6 and we go all over the USA.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:28 PM   #39
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
We bought a RV to take our animals back and forth to AZ.
It stays in storage 48 weeks a year.