Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Wouldn’t running the genny to keep the vehicle running negate the “benefit” of “clean” energy. Might as well just have a gas motor.

Convert it to propane. Cleaner than gas or diesel. Still emitting fossil fuel emissions.

Burn natural gas instead of coal to produce electric. Still burning fossil fuel to charge your EV car.

Still think hydrogen is the power source of the future.

We’re killing ourselves with the crap in processed food long before a clean, coal burning power plant will.

Sorry, I digressed off topic. Otherwise, I pay to play. Otherwise would sell the coach and stay home.
Like this??
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigload.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	35204
(Charging the Focus Electric using the Axis' generator--I was using the car as a large load.)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #22

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have question that I hope is NOT

But for those that have Electric RV or Electric Vehicle. How much does it cost to get a full charge?

Do they charge by the # of AHs applied to the battery or something?

Also, if my RV had a electric engine, but it also still had a gas tank to supply a Onan Gas Generator, could I run the Genny to recharge the batteries to keep driving without having to stop to get electric charges?
Do you realize how inefficient a small gas generator is? Even a Cummins diesel is multiple times higher than current grid prices
Old 12-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #23

THOR #9178
I usually fillup in 75 gallon or more increments

Having significant range i avoid the jacked up price stations even though i do have the discount cards

Brand of fuel is number one criteria

Price is second

Access is third

Only in the 70's fuel shortage have i waited over 10 minutes

Anyone thinking that owning an EV in a few years is going to save them money will be disappointed

I already Chuckie at the charging stations prices

Did check on the fee for not disconnecting when charged

Locally it runs .15 to .25 and in high usage chargers .50 and higher per minute

Now if there was a way to charge the idiots that camp in the gas lanes we would have something

Diesel truck pumps are self policed for the most part
Old 12-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I usually fillup in 75 gallon or more increments

Having significant range i avoid the jacked up price stations even though i do have the discount cards

Brand of fuel is number one criteria

Price is second

Access is third

Only in the 70's fuel shortage have i waited over 10 minutes

Anyone thinking that owning an EV in a few years is going to save them money will be disappointed

I already Chuckie at the charging stations prices

Did check on the fee for not disconnecting when charged

Locally it runs .15 to .25 and in high usage chargers .50 and higher per minute

Now if there was a way to charge the idiots that camp in the gas lanes we would have something

Diesel truck pumps are self policed for the most part
I've saved a ton of $$ driving an EV around. My fuel price went from $350/month to $50/month for about the same monthly car payment.

Not even mentioning all the oil changes I didn't have or other maintenance items that aren't necessary.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #25

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've saved a ton of $$ driving an EV around. My fuel price went from $350/month to $50/month for about the same monthly car payment.

Not even mentioning all the oil changes I didn't have or other maintenance items that aren't necessary.
For the time being sure

Home charger

No hiway fees yet in many jurisdictions

How often did you charge at public chargers

So you drive a lot away from home base?

You also pay about 1/2 per KW what we pay in the Midwest

Government wouldn't have to subsidise EV's and EV charging stations if it was such a good deal

You also live in a moderate climate

My EV didn't do well below freezing for extended times

No way are people saving over 500%

Now maybe a Hummer to a Prius comparison

I don't believe you're numbers
Old 12-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The folks using an EV as a daily driver and charging exclusively at home are the big winners. At least for Tesla, statistics show the "convenience" upcharge in kWh price when using Superchargers negates the economies of charging at home, putting "fuel cost" roughly on par with gasoline/diesel, nullifying the advantage of the EV. In that context, cross country driving and refueling using Superchargers is FAR less cost-efficient. You're paying for the convenience.

As for the "carbon footprint" and pollution argument... that's been debunked many times over...

https://youtu.be/G67i_Z8ukD4
Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
For the time being sure

Home charger

No hiway fees yet in many jurisdictions

How often did you charge at public chargers

So you drive a lot away from home base?

You also pay about 1/2 per KW what we pay in the Midwest

Government wouldn't have to subsidise EV's and EV charging stations if it was such a good deal

You also live in a moderate climate

My EV didn't do well below freezing for extended times

No way are people saving over 500%

Now maybe a Hummer to a Prius comparison

I don't believe you're numbers
Um: I'm in Michigan pretty far from a moderate climate (and am in the midwest).

My EV rate is low because I'm on a time-of-use plan and have the car programmed to charge overnight when rates are low.

Since we have the RV we don't charge at public chargers--we take the RV on road trips. We have driven both the RV and EV (our current one, the Mach-E cannot be towed behind the RV) on camping trips and just get a 50amp site to charge up the EV. (When I had the Bolt, since its FWD, we used to tow it on the dolly--took that thing all over the place.)

We do want to road trip in the EV and likely will do so in winter when the RV is taking its nap...and thus will have to fast charge it more often because of winter driving.

Don't have to believe my numbers but my pocketbook does
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Wouldn’t running the genny to keep the vehicle running negate the “benefit” of “clean” energy. Might as well just have a gas motor.

I would say yes if your intent was to receive benefit of clean energy? I was merely asking a question of how it may work, but as I understand it from the Jamie Geek there is no Electric RVs in USA; so even if there was one it may not even have a generator. Again I was trying to understand the technology and the answer to my question is Yes a generator could actually recharge an electric vehicle.

See above
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:44 AM   #29

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Ask an ev owner about the gas car they use for real world things.
They hate that.

All but a very small percentage have a gas car sitting next to the sense and fact destroying ev.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:46 AM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Well there are no "Electric RV's" in the US...yet.

For EV's there are Tesla's and everyone else. Not sure the Tesla rate (I think you pay $X at purchase for a given number of kWh and then after that there is some charge--but I could be wrong, never driven a Tesla).

For everyone else not driving a Tesla you either charge at home at a rediculously low rate (I'm paying about $0.08/kWh so my 88kWh car costs about $7.04 to fill up at home).

Now if you're taking a road trip then you're using a DCFC (DC Fast Charger) and the charges there vary by state (because of state laws about dispensing electricity). Most states are moving to a per kWh rate. DCFC's do end up costing more than gas in many places.

As an example: Electify America (the network of DCFC's setup by taking the VW Dieselgate money and spending it on EV's) charges a $4/month subscription fee and then its $0.31/kWh (so for my 88kWh battery that would be $27.28 to fill it up from empty). If you don't want to spend the $4/month (say you're not taking road trips all the time) then its a bit higher at $0.43/kWh (so a fillup for me would be $37.84).

In my EV (a California Route 1 Mach-E) those 88 kWh will take me about 280 miles on the highway in the summer.

We have discussed at length in various topics about the viability of an EV RV and the consensus is that right now battery tech isn't there: You'd need a ton of batteries to make it worth it. In addition you'd need a way to charge that big battery pretty quickly...

Personally I think the sweet spot would be to take the hybrid powertrain out of the new F-150 and put that in a motorhome: Don't need a generator anymore just use the juice from the hybrid (much like the F-150 does with its "Power Boost" option).

Note that if you read the specs on the Mach-E they will say it has a 99kWh battery--Ford reserves the 11kWh to lengthen the life of the battery. So its a 99kWh battery with 88kWh "useable". (Much like you don't want to discharge a 12V lead acid battery below 50%.)
Thank you, this was very very helpful. I really had no idea of what these peeps with EVs are doing. I am typically not a person that lives on the bleeding edge; I may not have been the last AT&T customer to go from Analog to Digital, but we got a letter from AT&T saying that if we didn't convert to a Digital phone by the end of one month they were going to discontinue our service because they were shutting down the last Analog switch / server ... a few days later they called us and offered us two free digital phones; and we switched
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-14-2021, 01:55 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Do you realize how inefficient a small gas generator is? Even a Cummins diesel is multiple times higher than current grid prices
No I do not? Is a Onan 5500 Gas generator considered small?

I was just asking if it were capable, with no technical data to support , I am 100% sure that my Onan 5500 use a lot less gas than V10 F-53.

My thought at the time, before I came under friendly fire; was merely the thought of one having an Electric RV engine that they could theoretically have a gas generator and only have to pay for gas to run the Genny which could be cheap if you on the road.

Yes the Genny could also be propane to be even greener. Now for my next question, do they make Electric generators, I may wish to be Mr. Green one day
Old 12-14-2021, 02:04 AM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My v10 uses .63 gallons per hour at idle.
This is why at the very moment anything happens to the belts on that v10 it's getting two or three MONSTER alternators and the generator will be sold(potentially, probably wishfully)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:08 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Like this??
Attachment 35204
(Charging the Focus Electric using the Axis' generator--I was using the car as a large load.)
You just gave me a potential future idea or MOD.

If I could somehow have a 30 amp connector from my Onan 5500 optionally feed my home's transfer switch, I could feed my home's Connecticut Electric 30 amp transfer Switch. With an 80 gallon tank, I would basically have endless power during another one of those Texas power grid shutdown.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:59 AM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
You just gave me a potential future idea or MOD.

If I could somehow have a 30 amp connector from my Onan 5500 optionally feed my home's transfer switch, I could feed my home's Connecticut Electric 30 amp transfer Switch. With an 80 gallon tank, I would basically have endless power during another one of those Texas power grid shutdown.
Been discussed ad nauseam both here and on IRV2. Very doable.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #35

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Took the tbird to flagstaff.
Looked over at the Sam's Club pumps while there.
Easily a 40 minute wait with a major j turn to get to the pumps in anything oversized. 3.79 85 octane. I dont know what premium would have been.
Pass
Saw the truck stop from the freeway. Packed. A traffic circle to get in. $3.81
Pass
Drove on home. $4.15 regular, $5.01 for 93 octane.
I paid the $5.01. Just me at the pumps.
A convenience tax is how I justified it.

Diesel would have sucked at sam's IF you could have got to the pump.
Diesel would have been easy at the truck stop.
Diesel not available at my local station.
With you on the convenience tax. On our Disney world trip from Washington state to Florida there were a lot of times that the cheaper gas was on the opposite side of the freeway and involves going through lights and more congested areas. All to save 5 cent per gallon but it was going to take 15 or more mins to get that savings. Not worth my time or effort. If that makes that much of a difference then we shouldn’t be driving RVs that get 8mpg.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:32 AM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Somebody already put it out there, but I will restate. We start looking for gas at about a half tank. 40 gallons of gas psychologically hurts less in the wallet than say 60 if you wait to fuel at 1/4 tank. We tow a car with our ACE so ease of entry and egress are the deciding factor not cheaper gas price.
We do use the same bank card for everything, gas, food, groceries, camping spots etc the cash back savings add up quick. *Disclaimer the cash back doesn't add up to squat if you carry a balance on the card, we pay off in full every month.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
With you on the convenience tax. On our Disney world trip from Washington state to Florida there were a lot of times that the cheaper gas was on the opposite side of the freeway and involves going through lights and more congested areas. All to save 5 cent per gallon but it was going to take 15 or more mins to get that savings. Not worth my time or effort. If that makes that much of a difference then we shouldn’t be driving RVs that get 8mpg.
I really think it is assumptive or a push that anyone who is cheap enough (thrifty) to want to save $.05 / gallon on gas would drive 15 min or more to get it?

I know I wouldn't. Case in point, I have been known to drive an hour further up the road waiting to see a better posted gas price, and even then; it is rare I will even cross the highway to go to the other side of the interstate unless there is something else on that side of freeway (like food), or if it is the only station at the exit.

At home, we fill up at one place only at that is Sam's (always about $.30/gallon cheaper). I go when convenient to me, and seldom in a rush. There are times I see lanes wide open because the sillies don't know that they can still fill their cars with gas despite their pump being on the opposite side. I kind of shock the world because I will simply back my RV into one of the those wide open lanes, yes I am technically going the wrong way, but jaws are too wide open to complain

Also; it is not so much I believe it makes that much difference as you state; but it is a difference.

Think of it this way, there are two gas stations within 10 minutes of each other; (unless you are on empty... and I am always over a 1/4 tank) both stations selling the gas at the same price, but station #2 will give you a free 12 pack, or in some cases a free case of beer is included. I know where I am going every time as that does makes a difference for me, and it has no relationship to the fact that my RV may only get 8 miles/gallons.

For the record, for me it usually $.20 - $.30 savings I seek when I buy gas from whatever the going local price may be. When I am stuck with no choice, I don't have to fill up, there will be another station up the road because stopping is also something that I do with frequency.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Been discussed ad nauseam both here and on IRV2. Very doable.
Thanks, I did some searches and found some things. Nothing on this forum yet. Not sure how I always missed the good stuff? Since it is one of those ad nauseam topics, I will keep on searching. I have a portable 3500 watt 30 amp generator I use today to feed the house. I am thinking if I had a 30 amp female receptacle inside my electrical compartment I could plug it directly to my existing transfer switch. If I did that; I would no longer need my portable generator which is approaching 10 years old and kind of a hassle to keep it exercised.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #39

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
No I do not? Is a Onan 5500 Gas generator considered small?

I was just asking if it were capable, with no technical data to support , I am 100% sure that my Onan 5500 use a lot less gas than V10 F-53.

My thought at the time, before I came under friendly fire; was merely the thought of one having an Electric RV engine that they could theoretically have a gas generator and only have to pay for gas to run the Genny which could be cheap if you on the road.

Yes the Genny could also be propane to be even greener. Now for my next question, do they make Electric generators, I may wish to be Mr. Green one day
Who would play the Captain and dangle the keys?
Old 12-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #40

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I really think it is assumptive or a push that anyone who is cheap enough (thrifty) to want to save $.05 / gallon on gas would drive 15 min or more to get it?

I know I wouldn't. Case in point, I have been known to drive an hour further up the road waiting to see a better posted gas price, and even then; it is rare I will even cross the highway to go to the other side of the interstate unless there is something else on that side of freeway (like food), or if it is the only station at the exit.

At home, we fill up at one place only at that is Sam's (always about $.30/gallon cheaper). I go when convenient to me, and seldom in a rush. There are times I see lanes wide open because the sillies don't know that they can still fill their cars with gas despite their pump being on the opposite side. I kind of shock the world because I will simply back my RV into one of the those wide open lanes, yes I am technically going the wrong way, but jaws are too wide open to complain

Also; it is not so much I believe it makes that much difference as you state; but it is a difference.

Think of it this way, there are two gas stations within 10 minutes of each other; (unless you are on empty... and I am always over a 1/4 tank) both stations selling the gas at the same price, but station #2 will give you a free 12 pack, or in some cases a free case of beer is included. I know where I am going every time as that does makes a difference for me, and it has no relationship to the fact that my RV may only get 8 miles/gallons.

For the record, for me it usually $.20 - $.30 savings I seek when I buy gas from whatever the going local price may be. When I am stuck with no choice, I don't have to fill up, there will be another station up the road because stopping is also something that I do with frequency.
Hot damn! They give away a free case of beer with a fill up in Texas. Move over. I’m on my way.