Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #3012
Cold weather travel in 26a

Wondering if anyone has traveled in below freezing weather with a Four Winds 26a. Fresh water tank is under the dinette seat and water lines are inside at the floor level (covered). I'll be running the furnace but driving down the road in what could be 10 degrees here in Minnesota.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I haven't done it in a Four Winds but I have travelled in below freezing weather in my prior Forest River Class C. My tanks, water filter and water pump were in an outside compartment that was heated and the tanks had heat blankets. I did not have any problems.

If your tanks and plumbing are contained within the heated space as long as the inside is above freezing you shouldn't have nay problems. Also, if the tanks and plumbing are inside you should be able to use an electric space heater instead of the propane furnace when connected to shore power.

Two things I learned for cold weather camping:

First, have enough water in the fresh water tank for toilet flushing, washing etc... in case the campground turns off the water system below 32 degrees. In my prior class C I would keep about 15 gallons in the tank and in the Challenger I keep about 25.

Second, when temps outside are going to be sub freezing disconnect your water hose and store it in a heated compartment. A frozen water hose is hard to roll and store.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #3374
Also skirting helps a bunch. I got an inexpensive one ($450). Works great and attaches with suction cups. So no extra drilling and screws.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I agree with DSTANKOV. We left last Feb from Illinois and couldn't find water till Oklahoma and that was luck. The big truck stops turn their water off in the winter because of freezing, you would think they'd have heat tapes, also a lot of RV parks also shut off their water and most state and national parks are closed. Filler up and have fun.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #12902
Traveling With Furnace Running

We were happy to come across this thread. We are new to the motor coach experience having always traveled with either a trailer or 5th wheel.
We will be traveling from a cold winter climate to CA in late December. At least a couple days of our travels will be cold, and we were wondering about running the furnace during the time we are driving to keep the interior warm. We may use another option and curtain off the area from behind the driver and passenger seats to keep the heat up front.
We are always grateful for any advice other more seasoned motor coach owners have to offer.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
We regularly travel across the upper midwest in the cold. The normal cab heat is usually more than adequate and we've not felt the need to block off the back during the day while traveling. However we did install reflectix in many of the windows this year which has helped with maintaining the heat (and keeping cool in the summer). We do block off the cab at night as it isn't very good at keeping out the cold.