Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Florida
THOR #25291
Fresh water tank won't fill.

Trying to put water into the freshwater tank but it just keeps spitting it back out. The tank is empty. Any ideas? 2017 Chateau. Just picked it up. Running into several issues that are generally fixable. This one baffles me.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Thor has been known to cut the fill and vent hoses too long which causes them to kink. Find a way to look at your hoses and see if that may be your case.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This is a jr seamonkey type question, so don't take offense.

A 2017 should have had that tank filled many times.
Are you sure you're not hooking onto the shore water inlet and thinking it's the tank fill?

Look for a water fill on the OTHER side of the RV.

Just askin'....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I just googled your coach and saw the fresh water fill is on the driver side near the rear of the coach. Looks like it just requires you to open the cover and attach your fresh water hose to it and turn on the water to fill it up. In the video, the guy used an adapter with a quick connect hose fitting to fill his fresh water tank.

Paul
Old 11-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I just googled your coach and saw the fresh water fill is on the driver side near the rear of the coach. Looks like it just requires you to open the cover and attach your fresh water hose to it and turn on the water to fill it up. In the video, the guy used an adapter with a quick connect hose fitting to fill his fresh water tank.

Paul
I don't know what coach you googled but a 2017 Chateau 31W has the city water inlet on the drivers side by the back. The fresh water tank fill is, as DF said, on the other side (passenger side) just aft of the entrance door. It is a gravity fill so nothing for a hose to hook to, and as the OP said " it just keeps spitting it back out" which doesn't happen if the hose is connected but does happen if the tank is actually full or hoses are kinked.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't know what coach you googled but a 2017 Chateau 31W has the city water inlet on the drivers side by the back. The fresh water tank fill is, as DF said, on the other side (passenger side) just aft of the entrance door. It is a gravity fill so nothing for a hose to hook to, and as the OP said " it just keeps spitting it back out" which doesn't happen if the hose is connected but does happen if the tank is actually full or hoses are kinked.
Exactly where mine is. Sleuthing is easy because you can easily find the components. Pull the kitchen drawers out, and there's the fresh water tank, pump and associated hoses. You should be able to see the fill tube and the vent, which connect to the top of the fresh water tank. You can even hear water splashing into the tank if you listen closely.

If anything is kinked (I doubt it) you can EASILY see it. I would rather suspect something in the fill port hose blocking it. Maybe a prankster stuffed something in there, or a bee's nest? Who knows, but sounds like a blockage IF that's where you're pouring the water.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:09 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaflamme View Post
Trying to put water into the freshwater tank but it just keeps spitting it back out. The tank is empty. Any ideas? 2017 Chateau. Just picked it up. Running into several issues that are generally fixable. This one baffles me.
Long shot, so no offense for the question, but how do you know that the fresh waters tank is empty?

Can you eyeball the water level in tank, or are you going by the freshwater gauge? It is possible that freshwater is full and if you have valves on your fresh water supply that are off you will not get water flow.

Can we assume that when you are on city water fill every think works fine?

If it were me, I would get some some fishing wire to fish down the tube to see if I can hit the tank? I would think the fresh water tank be very close if not directly underneath the water fill.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31W
THOR #25291
Thanks for all the responses

Hubby got it working. It's the way the hose is placed inside which for some dumb reason goes up before it goes down. Somebody doesn't understand "gravity feed". Anyway to answer one question, we had fully drained the tank, hence totally empty. We're not newbies. Been RVing for 5 years already, but with an older 2001 Lazy Daze. Construction of that one was far superior to whats out there today. We just wanted what we hoped was newer and roomier. Slowly but surely we will work out the kinks and get use to a new (to us) RV.

I really appreciate this forum. It is helping us out. Now on to some camping.

Thanks everyone!
SL
Old 11-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #9

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Our 2015 ACE had this problem and turning down the flow rate did not help. BIL said to turn flow all the way up, tried that and no more problems. Jim.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #10

Model: 24F
State: Alberta
THOR #13557
I have a 2017 Chateau 24F. The fresh water tank would not fill just as the owner stated. Turns out that the vent hose to the filler was completely kinked in the factory install.
Also the hose clamps were tightened down so much they completely distorted the nipples on the filler so I had to replace it along with new hoses on the fill and vent. While I was at it I changed the barbed fittings on the tank as well to improve the geometery of the whole thing. I could not believe how botched the factory install was.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The fill hose in mine was bowing down a bit between the gravity fill and the tank inlet. Water would stand in this pocket and prevent full flow into the tank. I wrapped electrical tape around the end of the hose and created a "forced fill" scenario that eventually pushed the standing water on and allowed a steady fill. The factory corrected this during my warranty run. It's a pretty common problem with gravity fill systems. I'd bet a hundred bucks against a stale donut with a bite out of it that this is your issue.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:53 PM   #12

State: Kentucky
THOR #2349
Mud daubers

Check the outlet hole next to the inlet to see if a mud dauber has blocked it, If so, try cleaning it out with a piece of wire, then when the tank is full continue to fill to flush out any left over debris. This can be prevented by installing a small screen at the outside end of the vent hole.

Good Luck
Don F
Old 11-18-2021, 12:27 AM   #13

THOR #15410
I have a chateau 2017 31w and my city water hook up is on driver's side and tank full is right near the gas tank full on passenger side. I have not had a problem with filling the tank,but when it is full it will gush back out. I know that the idiot gauges aren't always on accurate. My tank is under the bed in the back. I would pull the mattress off and start there. You can see the hoses . I also had a full coach water filter there that I got rid of because of the location. It was under the bed and right next to the circuit board. Bad design. Sorry I can't help
Old 11-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #14

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Check your vent for the tank. I had to blow mine out by putting a little air pressure on the tank to clear it. The vent is made where it gets water in it. Now I have to wrap a rag around the water hose to prevent the water from coming back out when filling until the vent cleared it’s self. A flawed design by Thor. The vent is a little hole by the fill tube.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #15

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
We use the camco fresh water fill tube and it fills the tank without it backing up. Cost about 6bucks from Amazon. The tapered end mist be on top when inserted into the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C611B46-31A4-4A87-B65D-ACD034A928C3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	34870  
Old 11-20-2021, 05:35 AM   #16

Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
water tank

i have a 31w 2016 and last time out while connected to city water my fresh water tank filled and didnt think the two were connected in any way. could it be a leaky faucet.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills1334 View Post
i have a 31w 2016 and last time out while connected to city water my fresh water tank filled and didnt think the two were connected in any way. could it be a leaky faucet.
Some coaches have valves where you can divert water coming from city connection to fill the tank. When tank is full you turn the valve back to it normal position and it will use water from the fresh water tank.

Of course to be sure you would need a 31w owner to verify or simply call Thor to get your plumbing diagram.

You didn't say but if the city water connection is all that you have available to fill water, it confirms that is how your coach is rigged.

If in fact you do have two water entry point, I would think it is due to leaking faucet but a valve that is set for water to fill the tank.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:34 PM   #18

State: New York
THOR #27708
Your water tank dump valve may be open. Mine is located under the gallery sink along side the water tank. I was filling my tank and saw water on the ground. I checked the schematics and saw the valve and handle. I pushed it down and was able to fill the tank, no leak.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:45 PM   #19

THOR #28668
try vent elbow coming off tank. Its a small elbow that plugs with mold. Unscrew,clean and disinfect. When I drain tank before cleaning I put hose over vent outlet to back flush.If not it will never get cleaned.Happy holidays