Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Fully emptying Black water tank issue

Issue: My black water tank will not fully empty. If I look down the toilet, I can see paper.

I have searched this forum to see if I could find a solution and all I could find was people recommending using a lot of water when flushing (which I do) and it doesn't do shit (excuse the pun).

I must have sent at least an hour trying to fully empty the tank...started off connecting up the hose to the black water tank to add a lot of water, dump the tank, left the water running, add more water from the toilet...closed the valve...allowing more water to go into the tank...dump that water...repeat, repeat and repeat...and still don't have a clean tank!

I ended up buying a Camco 40094 RV swivel toilet wand which has a spinning end. The problem is, having to bring a hose into the RV each time to fully empty the tank is a freaking pain and time consuming.

Seems like to me that the hose you connect up to the tank should do a much better job flushing the tank.

Anyone have a real solution other than adding a lot of water with each flush, or no flushing toilet paper and putting in the waste basket, which I think is gross.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Are you talking about your Black tank?
Old 08-21-2022, 11:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Issue: My gray water tank will not fully empty. If I look down the toilet, I can see paper.

I have searched this forum to see if I could find a solution and all I could find was people recommending using a lot of water when flushing (which I do) and it doesn't do shit (excuse the pun).

I must have sent at least an hour trying to fully empty the tank...started off connecting up the hose to the gray tank to add a lot of water, dump the tank, left the water running, add more water from the toilet...closed the valve...allowing more water to go into the tank...dump that water...repeat, repeat and repeat...and still don't have a clean tank!

I ended up buying a Camco 40094 RV swivel toilet wand which has a spinning end. The problem is, having to bring a hose into the RV each time to fully empty the tank is a freaking pain and time consumping.

Seems like to me that the hose you connect up to the tank should do a much better job flushing the tank.

Anyone have a real solution other than adding a lot of water with each flush, or no flushing toilet paper and putting in the waste basket, which I think is gross.
Because you are looking into the BLACK TANK.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:02 AM   #4

THOR #3923
Sorry...I meant to say "Black Water Tank".

I have edited my opening question.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:03 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Because you are looking into the BLACK TANK.
Oops.. does it matter Gray, Black why can't they all just work together

For OP,

I like to drain about 30 seconds of gray 1st; just to confirm all of my fittings are snug and my flojet macerator side input valve is closed. Then I switch to black and drain until empty. When finished I drain the Gray last to help clean out my macerator and my waste drain hose.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:04 AM   #6

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Are you talking about your Black tank?
Yes!
Old 08-22-2022, 12:04 AM   #7

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We use a tank treatment after each empty - something like Camco TST Orange Drop-In Tabs. They do help to break down the solids. My wife likes it to reduce odors.
I also put down a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil for each tank in the spring, put in some water and go for a drive to slosh it around and oil all the sides of the tanks (and the valves). It's only a theory - but I think it reduces things sticking down there.
I've also seen others talk about putting in a bag of ice cubes in the tank and going for a drive with lots of corners to bang the solids free. I've never tried that - but sounds like it may work.
We have a sani flush system. I usually let it run until things start coming out clear. I just don't let anything start to build up. To be honest, I really don't spend much time looking down the toilet to see what remains. I'm not too worried about a bit in there. It'll go the next time.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:08 AM   #8

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Oops.. does it matter Gray, Black why can't they all just work together

For OP,

I like to drain about 30 seconds of gray 1st; just to confirm all of my fittings are snug and my flojet macerator side input valve is closed. Then I switch to black and drain until empty. When finished I drain the Gray last to help clean out my macerator and my waste drain hose.
I first empty the black water tank...then drain the gray water to help flush out anything left in the hose. Then I shut the gray water valve and proceed to trying to clean the black tank.

I don't have a macerator.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:10 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Sorry...I meant to say "Black Water Tank".

I have edited the question.
I think it is clear now what you meant, but if you can; you may wish to check the edit again, because it still refers to Gray and may confuse someone else.

In the meantime, if you see paper PERIOD, you are not use the right chemicals to break down the toilet paper.

We use are regular home toilet paper and the 8 oz of the below Thetford Chemicals. I NEVER see any paper, and I NEVER do what a lot of people say to deliberately add more water. I do drink a lot of beer to help the process

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thetford-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-22-2022, 12:14 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
I first empty the black water tank...then drain the gray water to help flush out anything left in the hose. Then I shut the gray water valve and proceed to trying to clean the black tank.

I don't have a macerator.
You doing it right, no issue with your process.

I didn't have macerator either, I only bought to be able to dump at home. My portable FloJet Macerator will push the black / gray tan affluent 100 feet to a sewer drain in my yard.

If I am at a park, I just dump like normal with my camco 4" sewer hose.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:26 AM   #11

THOR #3923
Quote:
I think it is clear now what you meant, but if you can; you may wish to check the edit again, because it still refers to Gray and may confuse someone else.

In the meantime, if you see paper PERIOD, you are not use the right chemicals to break down the toilet paper.

We use are regular home toilet paper and the 8 oz of the below Thetford Chemicals. I NEVER see any paper, and I NEVER do what a lot of people say to deliberately add more water. I do drink a lot of beer to help the process

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thetford-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I use "Porta-Pak" packets and toilet paper made for RV's (so they claim). I would think it would take a while for the chemicals to break down toilet paper. I typically go for less than a week.

Most of the time I dump before I leave a site, but again I can never get the black tank fully clean. I don't go driving around to break-up stuff and I don't think a person should have to.

At home I have a connection to the sewer line, and I end up having to use the toilet wand I bought to get the tank clean where I don't see anything.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:31 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I have a 29M so am familiar with this issue. When you look into the toilet, you are not looking directly into the tank but a pipe that goes from the toilet to the black tank. Sometimes a stray 'wipe' of paper will remain in the elbow of the pipe just below the toilet. It's a sign of not using enough water when using the toilet. What I do is dump a pitcher of hot water down the toilet. I don't worry about it as long as the toilet is flushing.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:41 AM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
My half bath drain pipe crosses over the frame...bath is on passenger side. After doing the #2, I gently press on the flush valve but not enough to open the toilet bowl valve...just enough to fill the bowl 2/3 or so with water, then dump it all at once. This pushes the paper on through.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:43 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Your problems likely originate from not having enough water in your black tank to start with. If you're flushing "stuff" including TP without having enough water ALREADY in the tank, it's going to stick to the walls of the tank, and also the sensors.

Try starting with SUBSTANTIALLY more water BEFORE you flush anything... like at minimum 5 - 6 gallons or more. The water sloshing in the tank will naturally rinse and help soften dissolve TP and other "stuff" in there.

Then, when you drain the tank, it's more fluid and not like trying to drain a Jell-O pudding cup.

Your black tank will only perform as well as you prepare it. It takes TIME and a fair amount of water... from the beginning for it (and the sensors) to work properly. Show me a black tank with inoperable sensors, and I'll show you one which at some point wasn't sufficiently flushed and/or not prepped with enough "initial water charge".
Old 08-22-2022, 01:05 AM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
I use "Porta-Pak" packets and toilet paper made for RV's (so they claim). I would think it would take a while for the chemicals to break down toilet paper. I typically go for less than a week.

Most of the time I dump before I leave a site, but again I can never get the black tank fully clean. I don't go driving around to break-up stuff and I don't think a person should have to.

At home I have a connection to the sewer line, and I end up having to use the toilet wand I bought to get the tank clean where I don't see anything.
Disclaimer: If you use any kind of toilet paper and dump the black tank within a few hours, all bets are off.

I have been using Thetford and regular toilet paper all my life in boats and now the RV. We never bought training potties for our kids because we had two of the Portable Port Potties for camping. We had one in a downstairs bath and another in a upstairs bath. It was always easy peasey. I never saw ANY solid paper in those potties. Additionally it had a very refreshing smell.

I have ZERO knowledge or feedback on what you use because I have never used any other product, and have no motivation to try anything different.

I can say this with 100% confidence. If you see any toilet paper when dumping you DO NOT HAVE A GOOD PAPER DISOLVING PRODUCT. I always pour in 8 oz after a dump for our 40 gallon tank. When I dump; I am usually either 1/3 or 2/3 full. We dump based on when Gray water is full. It is ALWAYS the 1st to fill for us no matter what we do.

We NEVER see paper when draining. RV paper may dissolve faster, but it is too thin and worthless. We bought some when RV was new with a coupon from Camping World, it was so bad that we brought the remaining 4 pak rolls into the house just to accelerate using up.

We do have a sani flush, but from what I see it is just flushing out the remaining brown water until it turn clear.

Note: My toilet drops direct to black tank; so I can see the level of black tank via the toilet. I never look though; and I never see paper coming out.

You seem to be doing all the right things, try Thetford and try a regular toilet paper. I wouldn't bet any of my money that all RV papers dissolve any faster than regulars toilet paper. Start on a Friday and dump Sun AM. If you see any paper PM me the address refund your cost
Old 08-22-2022, 01:23 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Your problems likely originate from not having enough water in your black tank to start with. If you're flushing "stuff" including TP without having enough water ALREADY in the tank, it's going to stick to the walls of the tank, and also the sensors.

Try starting with SUBSTANTIALLY more water BEFORE you flush anything... like at minimum 5 - 6 gallons or more. The water sloshing in the tank will naturally rinse and help soften dissolve TP and other "stuff" in there.

Then, when you drain the tank, it's more fluid and not like trying to drain a Jell-O pudding cup.

Your black tank will only perform as well as you prepare it. It takes TIME and a fair amount of water... from the beginning for it (and the sensors) to work properly. Show me a black tank with inoperable sensors, and I'll show you one which at some point wasn't sufficiently flushed and/or not prepped with enough "initial water charge".
Note the request from OP:
I agree with him, putting paper in waste basket is gross, and adding more water suggests a faulty design.

The only water that I actually add to my black tank is right after a dump, when pouring the 8 ozs of Thetford I have pump on so water runs into the empty black tank for about 15 seconds while I carefully pour the Thetford chemicals in the hold so it does not come in contact with toilet bowl.

But I do agree that OP seems to be concerned with paper he sees BEFORE it hits the tanks and not paper coming out of the tanks? If so; I recuse myself as I don't have or have never seen that problem. But it may be that the only answer to solve his question with his given constraints is for OP to convert to a bidet system or use liquidous form of Mequiar's Pure Boat & RV Wax in his toilet pipe; allowing the wax to dry and adhere to surface before using
Old 08-22-2022, 01:30 AM   #17

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
My half bath drain pipe crosses over the frame...bath is on passenger side. After doing the #2, I gently press on the flush valve but not enough to open the toilet bowl valve...just enough to fill the bowl 2/3 or so with water, then dump it all at once. This pushes the paper on through.
I wish mine did this.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:49 AM   #18

THOR #3923
I don't think "not enough water" is the issue, as I have filled the tank with water to the point that the level is "full" and when dumping it, I can see toilet paper at the bottom. The only way I can figure out how to clean it is to bring in a hose and put it in the toilet.
I also believe I am looking at the bottom of the tank, now some drainpipe.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:10 AM   #19

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Note the request from OP:
I agree with him, putting paper in waste basket is gross, and adding more water suggests a faulty design.

The only water that I actually add to my black tank is right after a dump, when pouring the 8 ozs of Thetford I have pump on so water runs into the empty black tank for about 15 seconds while I carefully pour the Thetford chemicals in the hold so it does not come in contact with toilet bowl.

But I do agree that OP seems to be concerned with paper he sees BEFORE it hits the tanks and not paper coming out of the tanks? If so; I recuse myself as I don't have or have never seen that problem. But it may be that the only answer to solve his question with his given constraints is for OP to convert to a bidet system or use liquidous form of Mequiar's Pure Boat & RV Wax in his toilet pipe; allowing the wax to dry and adhere to surface before using
I wasn't referring to how much water he FLUSHES with... but rather how much water is ALREADY in the tank before the butt even hits the toilet seat. The ONLY reason a large amount of flush water would be very important is if the "cross piping" issue came into play - which the OP claims he does NOT have.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:29 AM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I never much worry about it. It is a black water tank and it always will be dirty. Who cares? I almost always put a couple of gallons back into each tank after dumping and flushing so it can slosh around as I drive home. Typically I’ll drain that out and put a couple more gallons in before I go to storage. I never let the tank go dry. Been doing this for years and so far so good.