Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Windsport 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #18656
General RV leaves a bad taste in my mouth

So we bought a 2020 Windsport 35M with their online special and home delivery and that I think was a mistake.

We could not do a walk through as a third party driver delivered it to our house. There were a few things that needed addressing and two days after purchase General RV reopened. We were in Virginia and after 8 days of no returned calls, finally got an appointment in Richmond to have the issues addressed. Richmond charged me to repair all the items that were "unable to duplicate" so for all the questions I had about the operation of something I was charged $85 each.

I would avoid General RV at all costs...

Calling Thor directly to address the remaining issues. Has anyone dealt directly with Thor in Elk Hart???? Good? Bad?

Thanks all

John

BulletproofPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletproofPJ View Post
So we bought a 2020 Windsport 35M with their online special and home delivery and that I think was a mistake.

We could not do a walk through as a third party driver delivered it to our house. There were a few things that needed addressing and two days after purchase General RV reopened. We were in Virginia and after 8 days of no returned calls, finally got an appointment in Richmond to have the issues addressed. Richmond charged me to repair all the items that were "unable to duplicate" so for all the questions I had about the operation of something I was charged $85 each.

Calling Thor directly to address the remaining issues. Has anyone dealt directly with Thor in Elk Hart???? Good? Bad?

Thanks all

John
If you can make it to Wakarusa, IN for factory service you'll be very pleased. Dealing with Thor is great they are very courteous and will address every problem you bring up (even little complaints so if you do call them and arrange for factory service do make an extensive list).

The only issue you may find is that they are busy so scheduling is a few months out from when you call; usually.

There are some cases where Thor will send you the parts to make the warranty repairs yourself (They sent me a new windshield washer motor--I just replaced it and sent back the old one under warranty).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Buying a RV is not the same as a new vehicle! No dealer is obligated to do warranty work on any RV they did not sell. If you bought online (NO Way would I buy any big ticket item this way) from dealer X & took it to dealer Y then they are not obligated to work on yours so they will most likely charge you. Take the receipts to the selling dealers GM, sales manager & service manager & demand a reimbursement.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:40 AM   #4

THOR #18656
We bought it from General RV, the issue is I bought it from their Tampa office and tried to have it serviced at their Richmond office and they don’t acknowledge each other sales....I guess
Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

THOR #18656
By the way, I saved $60k plus with online.... still worth it
Old 05-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
First thing you should do is call General RV's Corp HW in Michigan (248) 349-0900) and tell them about your experience. I would get they would work to get you refunded if you explain your problems and the situation with the dealer. They are one of the larger dealers in the country.

I purchased my 2020 Magnitude SV34 from General RV in Canton, OH last October. One of thing that attracted me to General RV was their "Keep You Camping" service where if you have a major failure / issue (water, electrical, appliances, etc) that keeps you from being able to use the RV, you can just take it to any General RV location without an appointment to have it evaluated same day. They will fix it if they can or order the parts and get you scheduled for service.

I have an appointment in a week to have several Warranty Issues resolved and so far they have been good dealing with via phone and email.

That being said, I did take it to the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa late last October because I had already had an appointment for my previous coach and they let me keep it to bring in the new coach to have a few things addressed.

Dealing with the Thor Service Center is the way to go in my opinion vs any dealer.

My opinion is that most dealers are not very good (there are exceptions)... they may talk a good game.... but they have a lot of unskilled, inexperienced and marginally trained personnel because of high turnover rates. They care more about selling than the service after the sale.

The people who are going to know Thor products the best.... have a significant amount of training... and immediate access to parts is the Wakarusa Service Center so that is the best place to go.

I'm willing to give my dealer a chance to fix the ~8 items on my list because my wife is going in for some surgery in about a week so I can leave the coach with them for a few weeks and they will hopefully get everything fixed. If not, I will work to get an appointment with the Thor Service Center to get it in there before the warranty expires in October.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Richmond charged me to repair all the items that were "unable to duplicate" so for all the questions I had about the operation of something I was charged $85 each.

John
Probably not going to be reimbursed for "operator error" issues. But, $20K can buy you a lot of training.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Probably not going to be reimbursed for "operator error" issues. But, $20K can buy you a lot of training.

I'd still argue that the PDI is supposed to be part of the buying process and it needed to be handled someway.... even with COVID.

If it was two different Thor dealerships, I'd agree. But the fact or was General RV and bother dealerships fell under their umbrella I would think General RV Corp would not find it to be very good customer service.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Did you frame it as something not working and they possibly mis-interpreting the issue as fault diagnosis rather than PDI familiarization? Who was the service advisor?

Richmond is the dealer I use for the Accolade. Sales and finance staff have a lot to learn but service has been great.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

Thanks all

John
Why do you say you think it may be a mistake?

The way I see it you took advantage of online special plus had home delivery and save $60,000!!!!

You then documented presumably any and everything you noted, or thought was wrong. You then took it to another location other than where you bought it from and they FIXED EVERYTHING that was defective under warranty!!!!

So now you are berating the company General RV because they charged you for some work that you had their people look at to validate; but no issue was found? Wow? You didn't say how many questions, or how much they charged you in total. Was it 10 questions and $850? 5 questions $425? 50 questions $4250, or something a lot less?

You didn't state the nature of the questions? But let's make an assumption that you were questioning the way some electronics was suppose to work i.e Genset did start when you thought it should? To be thorough, they would have to go through the entire diagnostics. If they can't find anything, they still spent at least their minimum charge for any item raised. They can't file a warranty claim with Thor for the time they spent on something that was not defective.

A lot of RV places charge just to provide an estimate of some work if you don't get the work done with them. It makes sense because they have to pay the technicians. I get it may have been surprise to you that charges were being accessed, but I think I would be very very happy with EVERYTHING General RV has done I surely wouldn't burn bridges with them as you still have the balance of your warranty left.

At the end of the day you have ($60,000 - (X *$85)) = In your Pocket as Profit, and a coach with no issues and all of your questions answered!!! Plus if you paid Richmond with a smile, you now have 3 legit choices for future repairs Georgia, Richmond or Thor directly.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

THOR #18656
DKOLDMAN.... for instance I had a question on the entrance handle, on my old RV it lit up and the new one does not. They told me it does not light up and charged me $82 for that... I was charged $82 on a question I had on the radio antenna...it looked bent, they said it was not. there was a broken drawer latch on the drawer under the oven...they charged me for the repair and parts. So yes they suck in my book...glad everything is working well for you....truck on!!!!
Old 06-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
DKOLDMAN.... for instance I had a question on the entrance handle, on my old RV it lit up and the new one does not. They told me it does not light up and charged me $82 for that... I was charged $82 on a question I had on the radio antenna...it looked bent, they said it was not. there was a broken drawer latch on the drawer under the oven...they charged me for the repair and parts. So yes they suck in my book...glad everything is working well for you....truck on!!!!

Per my previous post... I would still call General's HQ Customer Service and explain all this to them. It is worth a shot and they may refund you if you politely explain what happened and your unhappiness with the buying experience.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I PM'd you the email address for a person that works in General RV's HQ Customer Service office. Shoot her an email and she will look into your issues.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
By the way, I saved $60k plus with online.... still worth it
So was that $60K off MSRP of $161K?
Or $60K off their everyday "sale" price of $97K? 40% off MSRP is pretty standard.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Funny thing:
I go to a dealer I didn't buy from and I'm treated really really well, every single time, usually walk away with a freebie, something silly like a travel bag or a keyrng dooddad.

We all know 98% is either the buyers attitude or the buyer not investing a moments time in swaying the attitude of the dealer. $10 worth of donuts, reaching something off the shelf for height challenged clerk in the retail section, making a joke of how you hate Thor owners and don't even like pulling up next to those whiners at a stop sign.

And you got off cheap.
Some people have been thrown out of warranty places entirely.
This individuals situation is different in that he is dealing with the same dealer, General RV, but in different locations. The money flows into the same corporate pot.

FWIW, I was sitting in General RV's Richmond Customer Service area waiting on my coach (warranty repair) and I started talking to a guy. He was delivering a new 5th wheel from Indiana and was then taking a used 5th wheel to Colorado to someone who. purchased the rig off the web and site unseen. The was not going to be a walk through and the only thing the driver was concerned about or checked was brakes, lights and tires.

I know I got all of the emails saying buy and we'll deliver. Since I was not in the market I never thought about the absence of a PDI during this COVID-19 sales process.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
This individuals situation is different in that he is dealing with the same dealer, General RV, but in different locations. The money flows into the same corporate pot.

FWIW, I was sitting in General RV's Richmond Customer Service area waiting on my coach (warranty repair) and I started talking to a guy. He was delivering a new 5th wheel from Indiana and was then taking a used 5th wheel to Colorado to someone who. purchased the rig off the web and site unseen. The was not going to be a walk through and the only thing the driver was concerned about or checked was brakes, lights and tires.

I know I got all of the emails saying buy and we'll deliver. Since I was not in the market I never thought about the absence of a PDI during this COVID-19 sales process.
I have, due to the quoted post above taken the time to go back and read the OP's prior posts so I'd know more.
Seems they have owned an rv before and I would think should know the foibles of ownership, the dangers of not doing a walk through.
I'm going to pull my post down in which I suggested they might need to try a different and tactful tack.

I thought they were newbs who didn't understand how a service department works, the chronics the service department has to listen to and the chances of a customer wanting a roof torn off to address an ac unit mounted 3 degrees off of square.

They've been there done that and do not need my suggestion.

Have I read posts here before, or am I remembering from a sales agreement I saw:
PDI was a charge of up to $1,000 at some places?
I swear I've read that on the forum or in print.
It was called something odd: full tutorial learning experience, fundamental aspects?
Does anyone have a General purchase contract to see if PDI is a line item?
I KINDA thinking it might be.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #17

THOR #18656
Well the sales guy said we could do a walk through as soon as we could get it to an GRV location.... not so
Old 06-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I have, due to the quoted post above taken the time to go back and read the OP's prior posts so I'd know more.
Seems they have owned an rv before and I would think should know the foibles of ownership, the dangers of not doing a walk through.
I'm going to pull my post down in which I suggested they might need to try a different and tactful tack.

I thought they were newbs who didn't understand how a service department works, the chronics the service department has to listen to and the chances of a customer wanting a roof torn off to address an ac unit mounted 3 degrees off of square.

They've been there done that and do not need my suggestion.

Have I read posts here before, or am I remembering from a sales agreement I saw:
PDI was a charge of up to $1,000 at some places?
I swear I've read that on the forum or in print.
It was called something odd: full tutorial learning experience, fundamental aspects?
Does anyone have a General purchase contract to see if PDI is a line item?
I KINDA thinking it might be.
We bought the Accolade from General RV in Richmond. There is nothing in the sales agreement or contract that mentions a PDI. I did sign an Entegra Customer Delivery Form where I initialed all items demonstrated to us during the delivery process. This delivery form is basically a PDI but it is specific to Entegra and is an Entegra requirement put on the dealer.

Also, nothing on General's web site mention a walk through after the sale. They say they will inspect specific items on the rig, clean it and deliver it.

I will also say that in dealing with General, if it's not in writing it didn't happen and we did have to go to HQ over camp ground reimbursements when they did not have the coach ready on the initial delivery date.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #19

THOR #14396
They're no better in person at the dealership!
Old 06-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #20

State: Illinois
THOR #17261
Quote:

Thanks all

John
Avoid General RV. They are absolutely the worst! We have dealt with them and they are not people persons and even Thor did not think much of them or the work they do. We ended up at Thor in Elkhardt with our Miramar and had work done and were very pleased with the professionalism of the people we dealt with there. We were assigned one person to work with on our unit over the two days we spent there. We stayed on their property, had water & electric. Would go back again if we need to for repairs.