Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #18861
Leveling system

I just bought a used 2019 Thor 30FE without a leveling system. What are my best options for leveling? I'm new to motorhomes. Blocks? Jacks? hydraulic system?

Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Suggest that you use the “search” function.
There have been many recent discussions on Class C after market leveling systems.

Equalizer, Bigfoot, HWH are the most popular.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There's always the Bigfoot system that you can have installed...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Something that can help you level your rig until you opt for another system is the LevelMate Pro, You first need to level your coach then install the Levelmate Pro. After it is set up it will tell you in inches what wheel needs to be raised and by how much. I bought mine at Camping World on sale for $126 (I think) sales but most places that carry RV supplies will have them.

https://logicbluetech.com/product/le...nd-generation/
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
The Equalizer is another Hydraulic Leveling System you can consider. I have it and love the system plus it is blue tooth operation on my cell phone if I am outside and not at the control panel.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got the Equalizer system in mine, and also really like how it operates.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I owned 3 class C motorhomes over 20 years and never had a leveling system on them. I kept a small level in a kitchen drawer and a couple of 5/4 boards in a basement compartment. 95% of the campsites I parked in were level or within 1/2 a bubble of level. The few times they weren't, I would drive up on a board or two and viola, level. Total cost, $.99 for the level at wally world, boards were free and best of all zero service costs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I added an HWH hydraulic system to the Gemini. Worked great.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
One thing to consider: supporting the RV with leveling jacks will keep it from moving around on it's suspension as you walk around inside it.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Very true, Bob, we had the HWH levelers on our 41 foot DP, then went to the Gemini, with no levelers. The constant rocking and motion from just walking inside about drove us nuts. Installing the HWH system solved that problem as well as auto leveling it.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #11

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Something that can help you level your rig until you opt for another system is the LevelMate Pro, You first need to level your coach then install the Levelmate Pro. After it is set up it will tell you in inches what wheel needs to be raised and by how much. I bought mine at Camping World on sale for $126 (I think) sales but most places that carry RV supplies will have them.

https://logicbluetech.com/product/le...nd-generation/
We use this with the bigfoot. Auto levelers tend to lift the wheels off the ground. If you use manual with this you can have much more control.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #12

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I owned 3 class C motorhomes over 20 years and never had a leveling system on them. I kept a small level in a kitchen drawer and a couple of 5/4 boards in a basement compartment. 95% of the campsites I parked in were level or within 1/2 a bubble of level. The few times they weren't, I would drive up on a board or two and viola, level. Total cost, $.99 for the level at wally world, boards were free and best of all zero service costs.
A leveling system not only levels easily but also stabilizes. Plus one shot, minute to setup and I dont even need to get out. Enjoy it even more in bad weather.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
A leveling system not only levels easily but also stabilizes. Plus one shot, minute to setup and I dont even need to get out. Enjoy it even more in bad weather.
Amen, and Class dismissed!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #14

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I have 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 I bought new from dealer, I asked about levelers and they wanted over $7,000.00 to install, I bought the HWH hydraulic auto level and ordered it from Amazon for under $3,600.00, not a job for a weekend DYI but it can be done, the ones the dealer tried to sell me were all electric and made in China and had a very poor rating, find an independent shop to install them if you go that route and stay away from a Thor Dealer as they will just end up sending it out to be done.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #15

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welldog View Post
I just bought a used 2019 Thor 30FE without a leveling system. What are my best options for leveling? I'm new to motorhomes. Blocks? Jacks? hydraulic system?
Powered leveling jacks are awesome. After 50 years without them the pleasure of having them is unbelievable. I set up and take down in five minutes without stepping out of the coach.

My two sets have been factory installed and are hydraulic. I expect aftermarket install of the hydraulic system would be pricey. I had looked at electric jacks earlier. They might be self installable and should work the same.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #16

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
We use this with the bigfoot. Auto levelers tend to lift the wheels off the ground. If you use manual with this you can have much more control.
Right. If a reasonably flat spot I try the autolevel first. If it lifts the wheels I go back and manual level. I have a big leveling device with green/red lights I put on the floor to guide.

You ALWAYS should have your rear wheels on the ground because of the parking brake.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I found an app for a level for my smartphone... it works pretty dang well!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #18

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
I have 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 I bought new from dealer, I asked about levelers and they wanted over $7,000.00 to install, I bought the HWH hydraulic auto level and ordered it from Amazon for under $3,600.00, not a job for a weekend DYI but it can be done, the ones the dealer tried to sell me were all electric and made in China and had a very poor rating, find an independent shop to install them if you go that route and stay away from a Thor Dealer as they will just end up sending it out to be done.
I, too, went with the HWH over the Bigfoot.
My parts were $2900, but i had it installed for $1500.
I have the Joystick Manual Control with Straight-Acting Jacks for Class C.
It saved me about $700 vs the Computer Auto Control with Kick-Down Jacks + the install was more expensive. In fact CW quoted me $6300. I walked away.

By the way...
Levelors are like Crunchy Peanut Butter...
Once you try it you'll never go back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ml51120_ap37816.pdf (558.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf ml51120_ap49818.pdf (747.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #19

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I got Bigfoot installed

I bought a set of four 4-step leveling ramps from Harbor Freight when we first got our new Thor 24ft Class C. The ramps did an adequate and fairly simple job of leveling the coach when needed. However, one of the early things we noticed was the rock and roll of the cabin from walking around without levelers/stabilizers. Our prior 31ft Winnebago Class C had a set of Bigfoot levelers. We were spoiled.
I bought a set of Bigfoot Automatic levelers from RVUpgrades for $3100. At first my intentions were to install them myself on the Chevy Express 4500 chassis unit by bolting them on. Although I could have bolted the rear cylinders, the frame where the front ones needed to be is boxed. I bit the bullet and had the cylinder mounts welded on. It cost $800 at a truck maintenance dealer to install the cylinders, punp, wiring, & hydraulic lines. I permanently installed the module and control panel myself. The two local places where I was able to get estimates were both around $1800 for a complete install.
In short, the expense is well worth it. On our last trip, we encountered some rough storms while on a level pad. I had lowered the cylinders when we got there. The coach was rock solid in torrential rains and gusting winds to 40mph.
At home, our driveway is so steep that I need >two 2x10 blocks under each of the rear two cylinders. When i was running some wiring under the coach to install an Inverter, I just used the levelers to raise it so I could get my fat tummy under the coach. If I ever had a flat, I could lift the wheel with the levelers too. I'm a fan
BTW, Bigfoot has a wonderful 24/7 Tech Support Rep that helped me both with the Winnie and many times while installing the new system in the Chevy.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #20

Model: Synergy SD24
State: Virginia
THOR #10305
I went to Big Foot facility in White Pigeon Michigan and had them install on Mercedes, Thor Synergy. Love them. Took 2 hours.