Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #22668
One night freeze

I have a Thor ace 27.2 2017. I live in Southern California in an area that rarely sees a freeze. However, tonight we have an overnight freeze coming in and I am a little concerned about my waterlines since I do not winterize. The process of a full winterization just isn’t usually necessary here. I would love some suggestions but this is what I am thinking. I have drained what I can out of water lines, and I drained my black and gray last time we camped and left just a little in the black as recommended. I was thinking I would leave the heater on at the lowest setting to just keep the RV warmer than the freezing temperatures outside. The predicted freeze is a one night and done then back up to more normal temperatures for this area. Thank you for any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
How cold is this "freeze"? Unless it's in the teens for 6+ hours I don't think you will have any issues.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If you are really worried blow out the water lines with an air compressor. Dump the water out of the black tank and dump some rv antifreeze in the sinks and toilet
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #4

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
If you are really worried blow out the water lines with an air compressor. Dump the water out of the black tank and dump some rv antifreeze in the sinks and toilet
Like MJC62 said blow it out with a compressor and leave all the faucets open so no pressure builds up if a little water does freeze. Leaving anything in the gray or black tank could freeze by the valve. My valve is inside a closed compartment a small real light bulb would keep it from freezing, My outdoor shower is in there also so that would not freeze also
Old 12-27-2021, 10:41 PM   #5

Model: 2017 ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #22668
It is supposed to be 36F tonight and now they are saying tomorrow night as well. I was thinking of leaving the heater on at 50*. do you think that would be okay? I opened all the lines but do not have the right kind of antifreeze.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:47 PM   #6

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Osborne View Post
It is supposed to be 36F tonight and now they are saying tomorrow night as well. I was thinking of leaving the heater on at 50*. do you think that would be okay? I opened all the lines but do not have the right kind of antifreeze.
It shouldn't freeze at 36. One of the people on here says his ACE 33.1 has furnace air blowing between the floor to keep the pipes from freezing. He's on a trip right now and we will find out when he gets back
Old 12-27-2021, 10:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Osborne View Post
Ummmmm, that's not a freeze. Water doesn't freeze unless under 32 degrees. You don't need to do anything for nighttime lows in the 30s.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:13 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
My air compressor output is 110 psi. I know better and would lower it to 30 psi but not everyone knows that.

110 psi would certainly damage the plumbing.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:42 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree that there's no need to do anything at 36 degrees. You can drop into the 20's for a couple hours and as long as it warms up in the daytime you'll be fine.

Water will freeze around 32 degrees but it takes several hours at that temperature to freeze hard enough to do any damage. It's not like at 32 it magically freezes solid instantly.

Don't lose any sleep over 36 for sure.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:04 AM   #10

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
My air compressor output is 110 psi. I know better and would lower it to 30 psi but not everyone knows that.

110 psi would certainly damage the plumbing.
I found our water pump from the factory is 55 pounds so air shouldn't be any different
Old 12-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill johnson View Post
i found our water pump from the factory is 55 pounds so air shouldn't be any different
110 > 55
Old 12-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #12

THOR #20274
You said you were using 30 pounds 55 pounds the pump is set for would do a better job and be safe. Ever try to blow dust off something at 30 pounds. I have a 60 gallon air compressor and I set it on 60 pounds when I blow the lines out
Old 12-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1640696114
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	105
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	35362  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
You said you were using 30 pounds 55 pounds the pump is set for would do a better job and be safe. Ever try to blow dust off something at 30 pounds. I have a 60 gallon air compressor and I set it on 60 pounds when I blow the lines out
We had a cabin at a lake for years that had seasonal water so we winterized and I always used 60-70 psig. Tried it lower and it just wasn't enough. Had pax plumbing in it back when it was first coming on the scene

Pex is good for around 150 psig so you don't have to worry about blowing up a line. Some is rated higher than that
Old 12-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #15

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Hey Bill. If you are referring to me, we made it back from Williams, AZ (after 3 nights) just fine. Overnight temp dropped to 18. Temp started to drop around 5PM. I used a 60W incandescent light bulb and a "work light" with metal backing from Lowes. I placed the work light metal back on top of a baking clear pan (so that the heated backing doesn't melt the plastic storage bin). I placed my refrigerator temp monitor inside the basement and the lowest it was 36 degrees (which is still above freezing water temp). Did not have any problem with ANY lines. Inside the RV, we used 2 additional space heaters set at 70 degrees.

I just ordered a 6 inch tall, 200W Lasco Space heater. The basement where I need the heating is very limited in space. I will try this heater next trip, in Cali this January 1st.

Quote:
It shouldn't freeze at 36. One of the people on here says his ACE 33.1 has furnace air blowing between the floor to keep the pipes from freezing. He's on a trip right now and we will find out when he gets back
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #16

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Hey Bill. If you are referring to me, we made it back from Williams, AZ (after 3 nights) just fine. Overnight temp dropped to 18. Temp started to drop around 5PM. I used a 60W incandescent light bulb and a "work light" with metal backing from Lowes. I placed the work light metal back on top of a baking clear pan (so that the heated backing doesn't melt the plastic storage bin). I placed my refrigerator temp monitor inside the basement and the lowest it was 36 degrees (which is still above freezing water temp). Did not have any problem with ANY lines. Inside the RV, we used 2 additional space heaters set at 70 degrees.

I just ordered a 6 inch tall, 200W Lasco Space heater. The basement where I need the heating is very limited in space. I will try this heater next trip, in Cali this January 1st.
That's good to know that the water lines in the floor are heated so I might be able to extend my camping season, Thanks for the update
Old 12-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
That's good to know that the water lines in the floor are heated so I might be able to extend my camping season, Thanks for the update
In my coach, the only part of the water and waste system that is not heated by the furnace is the 1.5" pipe from my gray water tank to the wet bay. If we are going to be using the coach when the temps are below freezing, I just fill that section of pipe with RV antifreeze before using the kitchen sink or shower. After dumping I refill the pipe again. It takes a half gallon. All my tanks are below the floor but are heated.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #18

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
I'm in AZ and have never winterized any of our RV's. We do get the occasional overnight temps as low as 26 - 28 degrees but it doesn't stay down there below freezing for more than an hour or two. It does make me a little nervous when it dips in the 20's but have never had and issue myself. I certainly wouldn't loose sleep or winterize for 36 degrees. But - That's me.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #19

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
In my coach, the only part of the water and waste system that is not heated by the furnace is the 1.5" pipe from my gray water tank to the wet bay. If we are going to be using the coach when the temps are below freezing, I just fill that section of pipe with RV antifreeze before using the kitchen sink or shower. After dumping I refill the pipe again. It takes a half gallon. All my tanks are below the floor but are heated.
But after you fill the 1.5" pipe from the gray water tank to the wet bay with the pink stuff you don't take a shower or use the sink? RV antifreeze shouldn't be mixed with water because RV antifreeze doesn't expand when it freezes in the +20 degrees. If water is added it takes away the non expanding properties that RV antifreeze is known for and when the water freezes it expands and breaks things
Old 12-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #20

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
No worries at 36 degrees, sometimes we get a quick cold snap down to 26 or 27 and I don't care. As long as the daytime temps are around 40 or more a few hours in high 20's should not hurt. Jim.

Tags
freeze prevention, heater, winterize water system