Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2022, 04:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Question on installing stabilizer

I'm having my coach aligned on Wednesday and the shop said they can also install the stabilizer (I bought the Roadmaster). The Roadmaster is a new stabilizer that has (from my understanding), opposing "shocks" to give a true center.

From what I have been reading on the forum, I was thinking that it was a slam-dunk to install, but the shop is telling me that if they install it, it could take a couple of hours...as they first install it, then take it for a ride and make adjustments...repeat and this could take a couple of hours (at $185/hr).

Considering this, I'm thinking perhaps doing it myself...to save myself 400-bucks, but now I question if I'd install it correctly. Is it a matter of installing it and making adjustments so when you release the steering wheel it goes straight? Is this a difficult thing to do?

Old 10-11-2022, 10:18 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
The road test and adjustment is very important and could take a little while. It is fairly easy though so you might consider doing that part yourself to save some cash.
I installed a Saf-T-Plus stabilizer myself, they supplied good instructions and it was not too complicated. I don’t know about the Roadmaster, but the most difficult part of my install was removing the two large, rusty locknuts on the spring clamps to install the support bracket. I used a 3/4 drive socket/ handle/cheater bar and the lock nuts fought me all the way off. If you have access to a large and powerful impact wrench that would make it a lot faster and easier.
BTW, I bought my stabilizer soon after I bought my coach to try to reduce the excessive wandering I was experiencing. The wandering ended up being caused by tight and dry kingpins. Once the kingpins were greased the wandering went away. I had already purchased, but not installed the stabilizer so I went ahead and put it on anyway for the safety benefits. It was on for 10,000 miles and I never really liked fighting the self centering effect, especially on crowned roads, so I removed it this summer. I have only taken one 500 mile trip since removing it (no cross wind driving yet) but so far I think I like driving better with it off. I left the brackets in place so reinstalling the stabilizer, even in the middle of a trip, would be easy if I decide I want it back on.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289

The only thing that the Safe-T-Plus or the Roadmaster does is keep the wheel centered. It creates an opposing force in the steering wheel the further off center it is.

Aligning the coach to the maximum caster of 5+ degrees does the same thing. albeit more gently.

So, do your alignment first and see how you like it before installing one of these.

David
Old 10-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #4

THOR #3923
I have never had my coach aligned cause I didn't know I needed to until I read otherwise on this forum. I have been driving it around and it seemed to be drive fine for me, so I'm not sure I'm going to see much difference with the alignment.
The only thing I did ask the shop, is when they do it, if they could center the steering wheel cause it's slightly off, which they said they could.
I guess my question is....if I was to install the stabilizer myself, is it just a matter of putting it on, driving it and adjusting it so that it doesn't pull to either side and goes straight? Perhaps that does take some time to do, but if that's all there is to it, I'm confident I could do it myself and save some money.
As I mentioned, I thought once it is aligned, you just install it and that was it.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Yes, install, adjust it, and you are done.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
Yes, install, adjust it, and you are done.
Thanks! I think this is the way to go...this way if I don't like it, I have some idea of what it takes to remove it.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:24 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Thanks! I think this is the way to go...this way if I don't like it, I have some idea of what it takes to remove it.
I drove my coach in a big empty parking lot and put tape on the dash and steering wheel to mark true straight.

I installed my stabilizer with the tape aligned and got it first time. No other adjustment needed. Maybe I got lucky?
Old 10-12-2022, 02:36 AM   #8

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
I drove my coach in a big empty parking lot and put tape on the dash and steering wheel to mark true straight.

I installed my stabilizer with the tape aligned and got it first time. No other adjustment needed. Maybe I got lucky?
High tech huh? LOL
Old 10-12-2022, 02:50 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Fairly easy job. I've installed 2 for friends. Get the tires as straight as possible when installing. The first one I install didn't need adjusting. Second one did. When adjusting move it a hair at a time. It doesn't take much to change it
Paying a shop to do it is a waste of money

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:30 AM   #10

THOR #3923
Thanks guys...after reading the contributions, I'm going to do it myself.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:48 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Just to add I installed safe t plus. Never did the roadmaster version
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Just to add I installed safe t plus. Never did the roadmaster version

Installation is the same.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:17 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #9981
Hardest part for me was getting it positioned correctly, unlike rbykid. I got it close to being right but when adjusting I would go to much or too little. After I felt it was correct we went on about a 500 mile trip and on return I made some more adjustments. I think part of the problem was at home I test drove on the same roads.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:24 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post

I did not have the big parking lot just a long flt stretch of highway. But otherwise i used the same tape technique to adjust the Safe-T-Plus i had installed. I’m pretty sure there is a YouTube video showing how to do it.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:20 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
I originally installed a Bilstein steer stabilizer on my 2018 Vegas, it was a very bad idea, next I tried a roadmaster, not much better. Finally got a safe-t-plus,a great product and worth the price. Also if you don't know how to adjust the angle of the steering wheel you might think twice about attempting the stabilizer.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:05 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag8015 View Post
I originally installed a Bilstein steer stabilizer on my 2018 Vegas, it was a very bad idea, next I tried a roadmaster, not much better. Finally got a safe-t-plus,a great product and worth the price. Also if you don't know how to adjust the angle of the steering wheel you might think twice about attempting the stabilizer.
Despite what some third party retailers may say, Bilstein does not make a steering stabilizer - they make a steering damper - not the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bilstein.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	39753  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
So I guess the Bilstein B8 5100 series steering STABILIZER that I purchased and installed on my 2018 Vegas does not exist and I was dreaming.
Please do proper research before making someone look like a fool.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:53 AM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag8015 View Post
So I guess the Bilstein B8 5100 series steering STABILIZER that I purchased and installed on my 2018 Vegas does not exist and I was dreaming.
Please do proper research before making someone look like a fool.
Correct!
Did you look at the attachment from my post which is directly from the Bilstein website?

Like I said, third party sellers may put the label "Stabilizer" on it, but it is just an improved damper. Steering Stabilizers have return to center mechanisms (springs or hydraulics) which the Bilstein does not (but the Safe-T-Plus and Roadmaster Stabilizer do - Did you install the Roadmaster Stabilizer or just their replacement damper?). The Roadmaster Stabilizer works just as well as the Safe-T-Plus if properly installed.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.php
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:43 PM   #19

Model: Ace 27.2
State: Ontario
THOR #11699
When you do the adjustment, make sure that you drive on a newly paved country road if possible. You want it to drive straight while on a 2% crossfall (down to the right), the same as they do when performing the alignment.

Urban roads vary to meet driveways, drainage patterns and other obstacles so adjusting on these roads may not match the crossfall you experience when driving down the highway.