Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Cabela's Becoming Less RV Friendly

I stayed at 2 Cabela's. One in Rapid City, SD and another in Green Bay WI. The one in WI was most disappointing. The boat sales manger blocked the RV lanes and fire lanes with boats and the dump station didn't work. The fresh water spigot was flanked by two boats so you couldn't pull up to it. The lot was very tight. I had to unhook the towed. The RV shelves in both places were practically bare. To give credit where it's due, Rapid City was very accommodating, save the RV hardware. I think Cabela's is exiting the RV end of their business and starting to discourage us from staying there. That, or the boat manger in the WI store is getting greedy and sales commissions are more important to him than us. JMO. Trash cans are no longer available. The evidence speaks for itself. Corporate will never hear about it, nor care. I suspect a trend emerging. Start making alternate plans. RVer's are no longer within Cabela's target market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200704_215003.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	24645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200704_215011.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	24646  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200704_215036.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	24647  

Old 07-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Right at a time where RV sales are through the roof; seems like someone isn't reading the tea leaves correctly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps there weren't any other viable options for the placements of the boats?
(That was... and should be: his first priority...)

Sorry to see that you felt disenfranchised.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think BASS PRO SHOPS purchase of CABELA's might have changed the mindset, if any... We stayed overnight at a Bass Pro Shop in Macon, GA the other week, and not a SOLE around, no one, anywhere, but that was in their general parking lot, as they have no 'dedicated' RV parking areas.
I've found that this shop is also a DISTRIBUTION CENTER, which is probably why it is SO FAR off the interstate exit - in the middle of NO WHERE... but, I suppose it still attracts those looking for that fishing, hunting, outdoor experience.

The only Cabela's we ever stayed overnight at was in south Anchorage. They were certainly RV friendly, though we didn't overnight in the 'RV Site' area, since it was already full, but in the general parking lot, where probably 8 to 10 other RVs were also parked.

It 'could' be that the landscape or mindset about RVrs has changed, but it could also be that some stores just may be running out of room for parking their inventory, and see that as either more important than RV parking, or that maybe they've not seen the RV area used very much, and decide that it is not really impacting much of anything to use it. I would not worry so much about whether a store has 'dedicated' RV parking spots - as long as it has parking areas in general, which they all do.

As for the 'dump station' concern, I've yet to ever use one of those 'pay for' dump station, even though it might be useful if you feel that's you're only option. The ones we've run into either were not working, or it was such a pain to have to walk hundreds of yards into the store and try to 'find' someone who knew how to use it or unlock it for us. There are usually other options that seem more appealing, such as rest stops on the interstate that offer them, or truck stops that have them as an option, etc.

We stopped at a Flying J north of Birmingham last year, which says it has a dedicated RV Fueling area, with water and sewer to boot. It actually did. It had THREE dedicated lanes, with easy pull thru style fueling. Each lane had it's own dedicated water spigot, and sewer outlet, which is designed to be a 'paid' option, with a computer panel to activate the opening of it, when you swipe your card(if I remember correctly)...

But, even though there was a 'out of order' for the sewer outlet between lanes 2 and 3, I chose lane 3, thinking that the sign was for lane 2....well, it was actually for lane 3, meaning that now I had pulled into the fuel station, with my toad, to a lane that had a 'non=working' sewer outlet. But, I decided to 'see' what this 'paid for' sewer outlet was all about.
Come to find out, there was actually only the 'outlet opening actuator' that was the issue, and was damaged, but would OPEN on it's own, WITHOUT paying at the screen - so, I got a 'free' sewer dump while I filled up...

About a week and a half ago, while we left the Bass Pro Shops to go to a campground near Macon, I chose to go 'North' on I75, and connect back to I475 south, but there is no interstate 'connector' between the two - so I had to go one exit north, to make the 'u turn' to come back down and onto I475. Low and behold, Georgia has a rest stop on the southbound lanes of I75 there that has it's own DUMP STATION, for free, of course.
Careful, though, as it's easy to miss, and in a curve, when you first come in and take a hard right to go around a special area that allows RVs and Trucks to pull over in the shade, rather than going to the back 'general' parking area near the restroom building.

Some years ago we also were coming back, thru Texas I believe, when we found that some of their rest stops have pull thru RV sewer and water stations. My wife just told me last night that she saw on 'the Facebook' that Mississippi also has them. I'm sure there are actually many of them out there, but sometimes the 'hunt' for them is a little harder than you would think. It's not something most rest stops advertise, or if they do, it's little signage that is only seen after you've entered the stop - I've even seen some that have signs and yet you could still not FIND the dump station. But, I digress.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you have a macerator: I suppose you could just pump "things" up into their dumpsters...

...or not...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Most of their rv products are made over seas and not shipping because of the virus is what a salesman told me. Overnight was still good in Ga off I75 just before you cross into Tennessee
Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It amazes me how many folks think they are entitled to park in an establishments parking lot and take up space and use their services for free and then get upset when things don't go the way they feel they should.

Cabelas and Bass Pro are retail establishments that are in the business of selling their goods. They are not in the business of providing free lodging and services to RV owners that think they are entitled to a free overnight stay. Since neither establishment is in the business of selling food chances of overnighters buying something within the establishment is minimal at best.

The boat inventory at Cabelas and Bass Pro has an Inventory Cost (the cost to maintain inventory to include storage and accountability) and if the manger can reduce the inventory cost by parking his boats in the RV lanes then that is a good and sound business decision.

As a note, our local communities are tired of RV owners trashing parking lots at retail establishments and have enacted no overnight parking ordinances. As a local resident I was glad to see this happen because RV owners were setting up in these lots like they were there for a long term stay (patio mats, lawn chairs, grills etc...) and throwing their trash all over the place. And no, the truckers were not contributing to the mess.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Sorry... I've got to agree with "EA"...
If you're looking a gift horse in the mouth: you can't be surprised when you get bit.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Unfortunately the situation is about to get a lot worse with the number of first time RV buyers soaring. A lot of these folks have no sense of responsibility and its only give me, give me, give me.

I will pay my 50.00 for an overnight at a campground and support the local economy that way.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #10

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Stayed one night in the Cabela`s in Anchorage and did go in and ask and was told that it was against the city`s ordinance laws but was also told it was OK. They also had a security person making sure you only stayed one night. I did go into the store later and bought a couple of shirts as a way of saying thanks for a free night.
Do not usually stay at retail parking lots but Cabellas was rated as one of the best places to stay in Anchorage.
Coveman2
Old 07-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Unfortunately the situation is about to get a lot worse with the number of first time RV buyers soaring. A lot of these folks have no sense of responsibility and its only give me, give me, give me.

I will pay my 50.00 for an overnight at a campground and support the local economy that way.
I am becoming more and more aware that my owning of an rv has caste me with a LOT of folks I wish it didn't.
Between the:
Me first always.

How do I find my ass with both hands.

I didn't bother even type in 'TV antenna' before showing how helpless I am.

I've never so much as put a matchbook under a table leg.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I complain chronically as a hobby.

I'm too broke to afford an rv space.

I didnt read the contract.

Ford should have/Thor should have.

The residual sawdust behind my kitchen drawer is a travesty.

The Inalienable right to park in a retailers space;

I've become aware I probably won't be caravanning around with most of you.

Like Dave, I'm frustrated with some/many of you.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you have a macerator: I suppose you could just pump "things" up into their dumpsters...

...or not...
Ha ha ..... Dumping from macerator in commercial dumpsters is illegal? , Maybe that is why Cousin Eddie always uses a public street storm sewer

It don't have to be that hard.... There are many websites to help you find dump stations. Here is just one. https://www.rvdumps.com/
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #13

THOR #12189
Additional FYI: If you do plan to stop here to dump your tanks, do so during business hours. Tried dumping last night. Card Reader didn't work. Called store. in AM. Station no longer accepts credit cards. You have to go in, pay, and get a code.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Sorry... I've got to agree with "EA"...
If you're looking a gift horse in the mouth: you can't be surprised when you get bit.
Same here agreeing with EA, everyone has taken what was once a courtesy that the stores were hopeful would pay off into an entitlement. As more and more people blog and live in their RV’s, what was once seen as a positive for a business now just has costs. From security, cleanup and maintenance. I am not saying full timers are bad but there has been a change from the retired person to the new age person that chooses live in an RV, work from home, blog about it and show how cheap that you can live that way. To each their own but when the free nights start going away you can’t be upset, I can’t go into a campground and demand they give me a spot for free.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ha ha ..... Dumping from macerator in commercial dumpsters is illegal? , Maybe that is why Cousin Eddie always uses a public street storm sewer

It don't have to be that hard.... There are many websites to help you find dump stations. Here is just one. https://www.rvdumps.com/
How could we ever forget our beloved Cousin Eddie?
Old 07-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #16

THOR #12189
Quote:
Perhaps there weren't any other viable options for the placements of the boats?
(That was... and should be: his first priority...)

Sorry to see that you felt disenfranchised.
I wouldn't have minded if someone just said, we're exiting that end of our business. Disenfranchised seems a little harsh. It simply wasn't in line with what they tout on their websites. I much would have rather found out another way. I found the shelves were bare because I WOULD have bought something to say thank you. They had a few dogbones and a hose hanger. Already have both.

Continue with the disparaging remarks if that's your thing. Exiting this thread.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I sure didn't mean to put you off...
Old 07-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
hmmmmm, I'll have to weigh in here with another way to 'frame' this conversation, as it seems as some are disparaging some other RVrs for simply doing exactly what the 'business' is allowing them to do, if not 'inviting' them to take advantage of:
a 'free' RV site, with the optional 'pay' for water or sewer.

As a business, Cabela's was smart enough to see the synergies, and possible advantages, of having RVrs as some of their customers - taking the time and money to 'give' them the opportunity to 'stay overnight' on their lot. If Cabela's had not wanted overnight RVrs, or those who otherwise appreciated the extended hand, they certainly would NOT have gone to that trouble.

So, any of us 'using' the appreciation that Cabela's and others like them are extending are not 'mooching' or somehow 'misusing' a parking lot, vacant at night, for something unintended. It is also reasonable that some who now have these 'expectation' of a place to park overnight, which has not been somehow retracted by Cabelas, may have some right to be a little aggravated when someone has not taken the time to make it known that the parking will not be available, or has somehow 'blocked' the ability, with no apology, or notification, etc.

Being a little aggravated by the situation, as most of us would be, is not somehow belittling the business, but rather more of a 'vent' as to why someone would not understand the importance of the very area that the store itself has spent many thousands of dollars to put into place to reach the VERY people that are now slightly agitated that it is not available.

I think 'venting' is o.k. I think the store also has a right to do whatever they wish. But, having negative feedback about the situation doesn't mean that either are wrong, just frustrated, even if just for a moment. If the RV lanes are blocked, easily move to another area of the lot. Appreciate the ability, but also the fact that someone may have not known the importance of what the RV lanes are for. Who knows. I doubt, though, that it's because someone intentionally planned it that way.

I appreciate KINDLY the types of businesses, like Cabela's, that gives us travelers the ability to easily slip into their lots and have a simple overnight. Wmt and Sams does, too, as well as HD and Lowes. I've encountered managers at any of these stores and they've all said the same: 'no problem, enjoy'....It doesn't cost them anything. It doesn't mean that RVrs are somehow taking 'advantage' of anyone - after all, it's an empty parking lot overnight.
RVrs are not in the target of most any city ordinance when it comes to RV overnight parking, though there's no doubt that there are those signs sometimes as well, it's generally because those in 'power' want to have the ability to clear these lots without having to ask the business for permission first, which they have no jurisdiction over, otherwise, or waiting for the business to have to call them. Some business don't want it, and can have that opinion, for sure. But many don't mind it, and actually have no issue with it, like wmt. But, local ordinances 'can' make a difference, they just don't 'normally' do, no matter how many 'signs' are posted. Officers and authorities have better things to do than worry if someone in an RV is doing something 'amiss'.
Yes, everyone who sides 'against' overnight parking uses the words like 'trash', etc., but in all our travels and all our 'overnights' in many, many different and various places, business, parking lots, etc., I've never seen evidence of any such 'problem' that some espouse as somehow why the 'rest of us' will lose our ability to do this. More and more RV sales does not equate to more and more overnights in parking lots, or the like. It just means more time and effort to find a reservation at a 'campground' or 'rv park'. Those 'new' RV buyers aren't looking to spend a weekend in a parking lot.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Military camp grounds and KOA!! Never have a issue! And I will never sell my home/compound!
Old 07-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I am becoming more and more aware that my owning of an rv has caste me with a LOT of folks I wish it didn't.
Between the:
Me first always.

How do I find my ass with both hands.

I didn't bother even type in 'TV antenna' before showing how helpless I am.

I've never so much as put a matchbook under a table leg.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I complain chronically as a hobby.

I'm too broke to afford an rv space.

I didnt read the contract.

Ford should have/Thor should have.

The residual sawdust behind my kitchen drawer is a travesty.

The Inalienable right to park in a retailers space;

I've become aware I probably won't be caravanning around with most of you.

Like Dave, I'm frustrated with some/many of you.
...time to open up your own park...
One that. comes with an entrance exam!