Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m in the same Texas deep freeze with no shore power. I’m reluctant to sleep with the generator running as the exhaust is right below the bedroom slide and the CO detector is up by the front passenger seat. Still, we’d be lost without the generator. 14 degrees and windy with no shore power is no picnic.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I'm in the middle of a major freeze here in Texas, and keep getting power glitches on shore power. I want to switch to gen power, but not sure whether it will prevail over the shore power if both on.

Yes, I know I could just go out and unplug but it is sleeting, 19 degrees and blowing 28mph.
Happy to report we (wife and three cats) are back in a house with electricity and water. 84 hours with electricity in a retirement village with skilled nursing, assisted living and dementia care (with temperatures from 9 to 31 F degrees). Fortunately, we have five large generators for the elevators and those NOT in independent living. The worst part is even thought San Antonio's CPS had sufficient power to keep the lights on here, the Energy Reliability Counsel OF Texas (ERCOT) agreement required SATX CPS to ship power to the places who had not winterized their generating equipment. The big problem in South Texas was only 1 in 10 wind generators is capable of operating in freezing temperatures and the natural gas wellheads froze dropping the pipeline pressure below what was necessary to fire the natural gas power plants. So 64% of the summer generating capability was off line because of the cold.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m in the same Texas deep freeze with no shore power. I’m reluctant to sleep with the generator running as the exhaust is right below the bedroom slide and the CO detector is up by the front passenger seat. Still, we’d be lost without the generator. 14 degrees and windy with no shore power is no picnic.
Just another thing to look at when buying an RV - can you stay in it without external power in freezing temperatures or in 100 degree temperatures when the engine or transmission breaks and you waiting for a tow. The 31S has the generator and propane up front just behind the driver, and we do not put the slides out when there is ice or snow or the temps are over 100 degrees. In this case, the generator ran non-stop for 78 hours. The only time I shut it down was to drive into the city center (were a few service stations had some gas to buy 45 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of propane. We were 9th inline for the only station that I could maneuver in with a stoplight close. Only 3 of the 12 gas pumps were not frozen or broken; only 65 minutes to get 45 gallons of gas.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:40 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I carry a piece of Electrical pipe, the metal type used for running wires known as conduit. Not sure what size it is, but a short piece (mine is 6') and is sized to slip over the exhaust. Take a piece of wood and hold up the discharge end above the ground. Gets the exhaust away from the unit and into the wind. Cheaper than those fancy stacks that go up the the side.... about $20 at lowe's and easy to find a hole to store it.

Warm..... good.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:59 AM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
I carry a piece of Electrical pipe, the metal type used for running wires known as conduit. Not sure what size it is, but a short piece (mine is 6') and is sized to slip over the exhaust. Take a piece of wood and hold up the discharge end above the ground. Gets the exhaust away from the unit and into the wind. Cheaper than those fancy stacks that go up the the side.... about $20 at lowe's and easy to find a hole to store it.

Warm..... good.

Good idea. Does it change how it runs due to back pressure in the exhaust? It’s so windy here that I almost certainly don’t need to worry. But stuff can happen when you’re asleep and I’d feel really bad if I gassed the family!