Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #957
Again

Get your front end alined
After just 4,600 mile on a bran new coach.
I replaced the trashed Goodyears with Coopers
Wow what a difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side (800x599).jpg
Views:	377
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	101   Click image for larger version

Name:	rght (800x599).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	102  

Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by algoatx View Post
Get your front end alined
After just 4,600 mile on a bran new coach.
I replaced the trashed Goodyears with Coopers
Wow what a difference
I don't know how you held that thing on the road! thanks for the pics... Did Thor pay for the alignment and 2 front tires?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #23

THOR #957
alignment

Thor payed for half, but claimed that there is a warning
attached to the coach that states the end user should
check alignment as soon as they get the coach,,, or something
like that
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #24

THOR #970
I got my rv aligned a couple days ago, it was off by 5/8 in, I suspect all new coaches are off because when they are delivered by Ford the empty frame chassis has been aligned with no weight on it. Thor puts on the box and it changes the alignment, Thor should align every one before sending out for delivery.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #25

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Which measurement was out that much?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #26

THOR #957
Alignment

Mine was toe out @ 1 1/2" at the outside rim diameter of 19 1/2 in.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #27

THOR #908
I can't imagine that it was driveable with that... even 5/8".... wow!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #28

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Which measurement was out that much?

Was the toe, set out 5/8" should be 1/16" IN.

Caster and camber were almost perfect.

It did not drive very well but being my first motorhome I thought they all handle bad. It does steer better now, not so apt to shoot for the ditch when you hit a bump but still feels very light in wheel, ie, sort of sloppy feel, easy to over compensate. I am going to get a stabilizer, likely will do something about the front sway bar also. Super Steer has a thing to hook to the rear axle/frame to add stability. Looks like will cost 2k or so to make it drive better. I have already sunk over $500 so far paying the Ford dealer to test drive it, having the tires balanced and the alignment. Ford did not do the work under warranty ( test drive ) because they felt their was no problem, that was what the dealer told me so they charged me $259 for that service. After taking it elsewhere the 2 tires were found out of round, 3 out of balance and the front end out of alignment. MY local tire dealer is going to warranty the tires but I still have to pay for dismount, mount and balancing. Brand new Rv, only drove it back home from the dealer we bought it from. Still have issues inside that need to be fixed so will sit at another Thor dealer for a few weeks more waiting on warranty work like the chassis a/c not working, something the Ford dealer looked at and blamed on Thor. In my mind Thor should have set up everything at a local dealer for me rather than make me go to 3 different places on my own trying to sort things out, which is what they told me to do.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #29

THOR #908
having somewhat of a time to find a place to get mine checked.
CW is way too expensive IMO, way North of $200
the Ford dealer was also North of $200. Said they have to pull in on rack to check, but can't lift on their rack, so they have to move someplace else for adjustment, then back to check, back and forth,,,,,

So I found a commercial tire service shop, but hard to get in there on Saturdays, with limited hours and crew. found a guy that has some sort of portable system.... waiting for a call back. Anyone with experience with a portable system?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #30

THOR #970
Go to a place that has the machine, not a portable one. Call wheel and alignment shops you will find one. Mine costs $150, did not need shims. He test drove it before the alignment and 2 times after also had to pull the steering wheel to try and get it straight as possible. Unfortunately the newer Ford does not have a spline system to make adjustments anymore, but in the end the wheel is barley off.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #31
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
You folks with the motor homes, when they need to be aligned Do not foo; with CW or a regular Ford Dealer. Find a Ford Dealer that Also sells the bigger trucks, they will have the Tech able to handle your unit. Barring that Find a large truck Alignment shop. Once more they will have the Tecs to do the job right. On my fifth wheel I took it when I first got it to a Tailer repair shop that did alignment. They found it out just a little, and corrected the alignment. In the seven years since, I have not worn out a tire. Now blow outs are a dfifferent story.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Louisiana
THOR #625
When the big rigs come on side of you, step on the gas and let the engine push you forward and that counteracts the wind to pushing you sideways. My husband does this and it works great.........We don't have anymore problems.........
Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad13 View Post
Went through the same issues with my 2014 Thor ACE 29.2. Had the front end aligned (toe was bad) and the handling was significantly better. Thor is paying for the alignment. Also had a Bilstein front stabilizer installed. My Thor is now a pleasure to drive and my wife also drives it from time to time.
I received the reimbursement check from Thor for the alignment Monday.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #34

THOR #908
that's great!
I have yet to be able to get mine in.
I found a "commercial Tire Service" division of a local tire dealer that specializes in commercial vehicles. Just haven't had a chance yet.

For what it's worth.....The portable guy did call me back. I can't say that I've seen his rig, but it doesn't scare me in theory. A laser is a laser, and if he's good it would work just as well as the same equipment attached to a lift. Regardless, i amy end up calling him instead, but I'm leaning towards the truck shop.....

And for what it's worth, I read someplace somebody singing that the issue is often with the camber adjustment, and insufficiant camber.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #35

Model: ACE
THOR #698
I had the front end aligned and the was some toe out. This is a cause for wandering. Take it to a place that handles truck and RV alignment and not to Ford. The place I went to also recommended a steering stabilizer but we have not have it on a long trip yet so I don't how it is going to be. Around town it seems to steer better.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds 26A
THOR #981
I just have gotten good at seeing them in the mirror and actually start steering slightly towards the passing vehicle. When I bought my first smaller Class A (30 ft.), I did look into those aerodynamic air tabs and they make a lot of sense. They basically change that big aerodynamic push and reduce it to small, insignificant pushed. They break up the airflow push to the back of your RV. If this push bothers you, I would give them a try. I wouldn't buy as many as they recommend, but half of it. Space them out to see if its enough. Install them top to bottom on left and right sides - maybe a couple up top. If not enough, you can always add more in between.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #37

State: Missouri
THOR #1041
Steering management

I have an ACE 2014 27.1. We drove it 3000 miles on rte 70 and 40 and 44 out west. We felt a lot of drifting, the push of semis and the effects of road surface.

I weighed the rig and found that we had overinflated the front tires for the load. I reduced pressure in the front tires from 85 to 75 psi cold after consulting the inflation table and the improvement was immediate and significant.

Next I had the front end aligned and the improvement was significant again.

Last I switched to the alternative holes on the front end sway bar and again the improvement was significant. The handling now is better than my SUV.

As received the lash in the steering wheel when on the highway was at least + /- 5 degrees around TDC. On back roads it was worse. Today it is unnoticeable. Thus it is a reduction in lash that is more than a factor of ten and maybe 100.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #38

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCamperFan View Post
I have an ACE 2014 27.1. We drove it 3000 miles on rte 70 and 40 and 44 out west. We felt a lot of drifting, the push of semis and the effects of road surface.

I weighed the rig and found that we had overinflated the front tires for the load. I reduced pressure in the front tires from 85 to 75 psi cold after consulting the inflation table and the improvement was immediate and significant.

Next I had the front end aligned and the improvement was significant again.

Last I switched to the alternative holes on the front end sway bar and again the improvement was significant. The handling now is better than my SUV.

As received the lash in the steering wheel when on the highway was at least + /- 5 degrees around TDC. On back roads it was worse. Today it is unnoticeable. Thus it is a reduction in lash that is more than a factor of ten and maybe 100.
did you use the same arms? I was thinking I should get new ones, longer.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #39

State: Missouri
THOR #1041
I used the same arms. I thought about the mechanics of the different angles and concluded its most likely acceptable. Adding adjustable arms would restore the original angle or at least would bring it closer to that angle...I have read postings that say guys have made the change, used the original arms and had zero problems after 7000 or more miles.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #40

Model: FW Hurricane 30Q
THOR #1044
I just purchased a 2011 Hurricane on the F53 frame. Going to dolly tow an Escape. I did notice it liked to track ruts. I opted for the Road master RSS stabilizer. Haven't installed it yet but I am pretty sure it should settle that down. These units have some large torsion links in them and I am not sure those $600 axle plates are worth it. Maybe air bags to help the load. I am also going with Nitrogen in the tires, seems to work well for race cars and aircraft and I have it in all my vehicles, really made a difference. Anyone using the RSS?