Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37lx
State: Oklahoma
THOR #10261
Towing Jeep Wrangler

Hey fellow Thor guys. I have s new Jeep Wrangler than I will be towing behind our Challenger LX and would like to know which towing system you guys are using. Where is the best place to purchase a Blue Ox? Any does and don’ts will be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

State: Indiana
THOR #12564
I use the Blue Ox system. Shopped around on line and found the best price. Great system very happy with it have been using it for nearly 3 years. I tow a jeep wrangler JKU 4 door. Have never had a problem. Hardly know its being towed.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I have a Roadmaster base plate, easy install only 6 bolts and no drilling or removing the bumper. Ready Brute Elite tow system. Only other thing needed is the light harness. I used the Hopkins harness.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We have the roadmaster Invisibrake and baseplate with the Falcon All- terrain tow bar. Easy and quick to set and use can really be done with one person. Depending on how level you are maybe takes 5 mins. If you are not straight or level just takes a couple more mins.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
I went with Blue Ox from Hitch Source for our 2 door Wrangler. I called and talked through a couple of questions with them...very good folks and decent pricing.

Trailer Hitches, Trailer Hitch Bike Racks & Trailer Hitch Accessories | Hitchsource.com 4AA
Old 08-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have the Demco Dominator Tow Bar and love it. It is light weight and each arm operates independently. It doesn't drop when you disconnect it from the tabs on the baseplate. You can hook up and release at any angle. I struggled with my older one for many years and my only regret is I didn't buy this one a long time ago.

I also tow a Jeep Wrangler.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I’ve got a 2017 Challenger LX and my Toad is a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited. I went with the Roadmaster baseplate (which I installed myself) and the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar. I also went with the Roadmaster Invisibrake braking system (installed by a local hitch shop). I’ve put close to 10,000 miles on the system and have been very satisfied with our setup. I also installed stand-alone LED brake/tail lights. These are wired separately from the vehicle’s tail lights with separate sockets and bulbs installed in the tail light housings.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

THOR #10261
Got pictures of the set up?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiejames View Post
Got pictures of the set up?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any close-ups of the setup. We were just out in it for a few days over the last week, but I just put the Challenger back in storage on Sunday. Here’s a shot of the Challenger with the Jeep hooked up, but you can’t really see the tow bar setup. Sorry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	12122
Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #10

THOR #10261
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Unfortunately, I don’t have any close-ups of the setup. We were just out in it for a few days over the last week, but I just put the Challenger back in storage on Sunday. Here’s a shot of the Challenger with the Jeep hooked up, but you can’t really see the tow bar setup. Sorry. Attachment 12122

Looks really nice. I’m tired of the Uber thing. Traveling with a toad has to be the best way to go!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I have a Roadmaster base plate, easy install only 6 bolts and no drilling or removing the bumper. Ready Brute Elite tow system. Only other thing needed is the light harness. I used the Hopkins harness.

Jerry
Did you install the cable to the brake pedal? Have been wanting to make sure we can get it routed through the Wrangler firewall.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Did you install the cable to the brake pedal? Have been wanting to make sure we can get it routed through the Wrangler firewall.
yep. There's plenty of room. You need to run two wires, main brake and the break away. Both attach to the brake pedal. It was pretty easy. Lots of room. I did the install by myself in a few hours.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #13
Wyn

Model: Chateau 24F
State: New York
THOR #12514
I had a Blue Ox towbar system installed today on my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited and went with the Patriot II brake system. I only towed the Jeep 6 miles from the RV dealer to home so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, however the Jeep did follow me home without any problems, so we are off to a good start!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Blue Ox plate & Ready Brute Bar

I have the Blue Ox base plate and the Ready Brute tow bar with integrated braking system. Works great and less expensive than electronic brake. I had to drill 4 holes for the base plate and 2 holes for the cables but still quite easy. Several videos of this install on YouTube.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Louisiana
THOR #5346
RoadMaster

We have a Thor ACE and tow a Jeep Wrangler. We use a RoadMaster that was bought and installed by Utec. Never had any problems!
Old 08-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
We tow with Blue OX; items were purchased from Amazon and E-Trailer and I did the install.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
We tow with Blue OX; items were purchased from Amazon and E-Trailer and I did the install.
I'm fortunate to live about 12 miles from eTrailer. They have free installation on items purchased from them. Some of their prices might be a bit higher but the free installation makes it worth it for me.