Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 01:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We do not have any travel plans, and in fact we are between motor-homes right now, but I would probably make all the plans and reservations, monitoring cancellation policies, and if things do start to go south, cancel at the last possible moment.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:20 AM   #22

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
San Diego is back open for business, beaches, dine in restaurants, I ended my season to the river outside of Yuma on the first of May and the BLM campgrounds were still open but they locked up the bathrooms and showers, Rest stops on I-8 into San Diego were still open but the RV dump stations were closed, my guess this will change as summer gets into full swing, Lake Havasu is seeing some record week end crowds, 5 times as normal with gas stations running out of gas and stores running out of beer, wine and Ice, one local launch ramp had 76 boats lined up one morning trying to launch, good luck with your trip
Old 05-31-2020, 02:09 AM   #23

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzenac View Post
DW and I have been planning our first mega trip for September - a 6,000 mile jaunt from coast to coast. The plan was to be out six weeks visiting Memphis, the Utah national parks, Grand Canyon, Vegas, friends and relatives in AZ and San Diego (we're based in Delaware).

The planning was done before the COVID outbreak and we are conflicted about going. Do we go? I really don’t want to travel 6,000 miles if lots of things are limited or closed. Does it make sense to just bag it for this year and shoot for 2021? I realize nobody has a crystal ball (but if you do, please chime in). We are in our mid 60s and I have health issues which are well under control, but still put me in the compromised category.

Any thoughts you may have are welcome.
Sounds like you've already planned it so my advice would be to keep your sites on it and wait and see how things transpire. If you already have reservations made then I wouldn't cancel them. My experience during this COVID outbreak has been that places where I had existing reservations contact me to cancel and reschedule or ask for a full refund. Hopefully we'll get our act together before then. The other fly in the ointment is the probability of the second wave during the fall. The prospect of that happening would probably be my biggest concern if I was traveling that far. If you are flexible enough to be able to stay in place wherever you are if and when that happens then...? Some of the RV Parks I've dealt with are only renting to fully self-contained RV's and long-term stays during this pandemic. I know Grand Canyon just reopened and Trailer Village is a great place inside the Park with full hookups. Good Luck and Stay Safe
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We just did a 2 week trip in GA and it was great. By September best estimate is even more will be open. I would plan on the trip.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #25
TDM

Model: Synergy
State: Idaho
THOR #19669
I would choose a smaller trip this year. Use disposable gloves at gas pump and when getting groceries, of course a face mask when indoors. We just came back from a local trip and due to the having met other campers who did not feel Covid 19 was a concern it was a stressful time. Camping can be a great time, we have always enjoyed meeting new people. Two out three people were folks who didn’t take the virus serious. Every one can have a view point but these individuals were highly negative. Very likely these were folks that are not the seasoned campers with good old campers etiquette. We did not get into any conversation with them and couldn’t get away quick enough.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #26

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Probability of virus is MUCH SMALLER! Use your head.
Good to know there is still intelligent life among us

We are heading out in the fall as we always do. Much cooler and don't have to run the generator often boondocking as necessary
Old 07-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'd have to think it's because we know a lot more about the virus now.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #28

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'd have to think it's because we know a lot more about the virus now.
Unfortunately we as the public listening to the media & all the "experts" we've heard SO much about this "virus" that we don't know what to believe.
Masks help, masks don't help, wear gloves, gloves don't matter, it's to the point you don't know what's what!
The best thing you can do is use common sense, unfortunately that's a very rare commodity these days, wear a mask when near others, wash your hands often & stay safe!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Don't forget to wear a condom also...
Old 07-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #30

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Unfortunately no matter what is said about this stuff the risk is going to be there for a while. The best thing you can do is make your reservations and see how things go. Worse case you cancel or adapt. Your risk going to a grocery can be just as bad going camping. My thought is based because my wife is a RN in the ER and I have been working this whole time so I am sure that I have been exposed already. I don’t have a false feeling that I am safe but going on a trip isn’t increasing my risk. If my wife and I had been working from home this whole time, getting groceries delivered I might feel differently about going places. In the end you have to live your life nothing is promised. The other day in my area there was a poor 6 year old girl that was fishing on the lake shore and tree fell on her. You don’t know your time so enjoy all the time you have.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're absolutely right: if it's not a virus or a tree: it'll just be something else.
Nobody gets out of here alive!
Old 07-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #32

THOR #6433
Quote:
You're absolutely right: if it's not a virus or a tree: it'll just be something else.
Nobody gets out of here alive!
Something is going to get you just make the best choices that you can.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When it's time to face the music: you might as well be dancing!
Old 07-18-2020, 12:03 AM   #34

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Amen to this!
Quote:
When it's time to face the music: you might as well be dancing!
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:15 AM   #35

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
More logic and common sense in the last few post than I have seen on the national news this year

We are in our 70's and have tried to continue to live normal as possible

We have been exposed several times while being cautious and luckily still healthy

This fall we are heading out just like the past years
Old 07-18-2020, 12:20 AM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Stay safe, and have fun!
Old 07-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #37

Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
Living in fear is not living.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #38

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
More logic and common sense in the last few post than I have seen on the national news this year

We are in our 70's and have tried to continue to live normal as possible

We have been exposed several times while being cautious and luckily still healthy

This fall we are heading out just like the past years
Safe travels and have fun
Old 07-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #39

THOR #6433
I kind of look at it this way, it’s just the same as the person that works their whole life saves everything so they can have a good retirement. You should definitely do everything you can but if you do that and either A) when you retire you aren’t able to do the things you saved for or B) you don’t live long after retirement. What good did it really do? Life is meant to be lived their are risks and we should always do what we can to mitigate the risks I should have more in retirement but I have two little kids, if I end of getting dementia by the time I am 70 I want the loop of memories to be all those times I wasted money taking the kids to Disney, the beach or where ever. Instead them asking and every time I said no and all I keep seeing are the experiences that I missed out on.