Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I do that but no wires or cable needed

I can stream to all 3 TVs by simply wirelessly connecting to one of my Roku boxes direct from my phone.

In addition, I replaced my Main TV with a Samsung TV. I stream direct to it with any of our Samsung phones.

I guess technically we have 3rd option if we wanted to plug a HDMI to USB cable between Phone & TV but we stay wireless where all possible.

BTW, I read up a little on Winegard. I can see why some people would like, but right now it is just not for us. It would be a tough sell for me to believe they can pick up T Mobile signals any better than my phone does, but even if it did, why make that investment? My installation cost is also a factor. If I was worried that I could not always get a T Mobile signal, I could simply buy a portable device with coverage that is noted to be in areas that T Mobil may not be? It would be good backup and I could take with me anywhere in any vehicle and boat and not just be confined to RV. But a Full Timer may think different.
All great points ..we will be on the road for 5 months this winter and will see how it goes

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #22

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We use phone hotspot as much as possible: Winegard data cost is expensive. Two movies with grandkids for $60 data.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #23

State: California
THOR #2709
OK, so technologically limited person here...Our coach has a sort of splitter box in the front cabinet where you can change from TV to Antenna to Satellite. Would that have to be removed? I know I can use my phone as a hot spot and have many times...we are volunteer amateur racing officials and not many of the track has WiFi that extends to RV parking. Or to I plug the Roku box or Firestick directly into the TV and that will bypass the connection to the above mentioned box. This is all very interesting, we bought our coach with a standard dish on it for DirectTV and then DT stopped streaming standard. I just can't justify the cost to have a HD dish put on the roof when we are not fulltiming.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
We use phone hotspot as much as possible: Winegard data cost is expensive. Two movies with grandkids for $60 data.
We just went out on our second trip in our 2021 FW 28A and used the hotspot on my phone to run the Amazon FireTV. Worked great. Looking up data usage, Amazon Prime Video used 5GB/H for HD and Netflix uses 3GB/H for HD. Our Verizon data plan is unlimited with 15GB of hotspot data on each of two phones. One phone should get us through a weekend and both on a road trip. We could plan a road trip to span the billing cycle so that the data usage resets midway in the trip.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox View Post
OK, so technologically limited person here...Our coach has a sort of splitter box in the front cabinet where you can change from TV to Antenna to Satellite. Would that have to be removed? I know I can use my phone as a hot spot and have many times...we are volunteer amateur racing officials and not many of the track has WiFi that extends to RV parking. Or to I plug the Roku box or Firestick directly into the TV and that will bypass the connection to the above mentioned box. This is all very interesting, we bought our coach with a standard dish on it for DirectTV and then DT stopped streaming standard. I just can't justify the cost to have a HD dish put on the roof when we are not fulltiming.
We only have 1 TV, so I hook up my Amazon FireTV to an HDMI port in the back. The splitter box you talk about might only send one signal to all of the tv's (if you have them). If I had multiple tv's, I would put an Amazon FireTV (or you preferred streamer) on each TV and use the track's WIFI if it is fast enough. What I have read it needs to be at least 3GB/s.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #26

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
We just went out on our second trip in our 2021 FW 28A and used the hotspot on my phone to run the Amazon FireTV. Worked great. Looking up data usage, Amazon Prime Video used 5GB/H for HD and Netflix uses 3GB/H for HD. Our Verizon data plan is unlimited with 15GB of hotspot data on each of two phones. One phone should get us through a weekend and both on a road trip. We could plan a road trip to span the billing cycle so that the data usage resets midway in the trip.
Correct and the Winegard is $69 for 10gb more for ATT. We turn off winegard until we really want it.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox View Post
OK, so technologically limited person here...Our coach has a sort of splitter box in the front cabinet where you can change from TV to Antenna to Satellite. Would that have to be removed? No I know I can use my phone as a hot spot and have many times You are doing good Or to I plug the Roku box or Firestick directly into the TV and that will bypass the connection to the above mentioned box.

It depends... as you state; yes it will bypass because you will display output on your TV based on whichever TV Input the Roku / Firestick is connected to.

This is all very interesting, we bought our coach with a standard dish on it for DirectTV and then DT stopped streaming standard. What is DT? I assume it is Dear ???? [/B]I just can't justify the cost to have a HD dish put on the roof when we are not fulltiming. To be honest, as long as they force you with packages with hundreds and in some cases 1,000s of channels that I will never watch, and have to spend 10 - 15 min trying to find ESPN or SEC Network; I have no interest in traditional cable TV. Yes you can program remotes and favorites; but it can take hours, and it is for each TV, and then they zap your remote whenever they dam well please; and then you are back to seeing all of those unwanted PPVs, 100 Shopping Channels, 50 Cooking shows, and On Demand channels that I fear someone will mistakenly select causing a surprised bill that starts a whole another discussion

For me, my coach was prewired with HDMI and has a 2 Input HDMI Switcher that feeds all 3 TVs HDMI Input #1, So in my case. I have my best Roku; a Ultra in the A/V Cabinet that is wired to to the HDMI Switcher so all 3 TVs can see what ever is being broadcasted on the Roku Ultra. Let's say we are tailgating a football game, it does not matter if you outside , in bedroom or main room, it is exact video and Audio. We use it quite a bit.

Additionally, like you we have a Roku that is direct to outside TV and direct to MBR TV on both of those TV's Input #2, so needed to stream some different we could. The Main TV is Samsung inside and it is wireless capable by itself has of the Samsung Apps like You Tube TV etc.

The Switch you referred to TV, Antenna, Satellite... I leave mine on Antenna 100% of the time. Don't have Satellite, Winegard or any of that stuff, but let's say if I happened to at some fancy resort that said they had free cable available ( yes I am dreaming; but play along with me ) Then I would connect it to my outside compartment TV, Antenna, Satellite box and turn my push button Antenna power off as to allow the input from my cable and NOT the Antenna. I suspect the Winegard would come in the same way.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
I agree and you confirmed what I know about Winegard, it is NOT for us.

We setup like this in order whenever we reach any new site.

1. Connect my laptop to Netgear Extender and search for a local free Wifi site. Most cases we are good here but if not.....
2.Connect my Wifi CampPro to see if I get lucky with something that is too far away for Netgear Extender. Maybe 20 - 30% of the time we get something. It works just enough to keep it because it is cheap; but not for a primary unless you full time and can permanently mount someplace.
3. Stream direct or create hotspot with our phones. Even when we drop down to low bandwidth, we can still connect laptops to do email etc.
4. If I needed more, buy a portable internet device with it's own data plan, but we don't have that need yet. Between free OTA TV, DVDs we own, USB storage devices we have plenty of back up options to watch TV.

Quote:
Correct and the Winegard is $69 for 10gb more for ATT. We turn off winegard until we really want it.
I do everything in my power to NOT have AT&T for ANYTHING
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #29

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
We use visible. It's unlimited data but it's capped at 5mb/s. Thats enough to stream HD so we are good with it.
We too use Visible for a couple winter months. We use a TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router and connect it to the Visible phone, and then the router's wi-fi (when both have power) stays active all the time and supports a couple TVs at 720P... and a tablet maybe...
Old 06-30-2021, 07:27 PM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #20624
Visible Party Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by munrore View Post
We too use Visible for a couple winter months. We use a TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router and connect it to the Visible phone, and then the router's wi-fi (when both have power) stays active all the time and supports a couple TVs at 720P... and a tablet maybe...
Do you use Visible’s Party Pay to reduce your bill to $25?
Old 06-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #31

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We cancelled directv and now we use YouTube tv on phones computers MH TVS, house Tvs when home, tablets, watch live or recordings $54.99 month total.
Way more convenient access to recordings works on road
Big savings

This may help others.

We will do massive winter traveling
Just a question this is all streaming and most providers even with unlimited will cut you down to almost nothing especially the Winegard as a hotspot who do you use for a provider?
Old 06-30-2021, 08:21 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #20738
My winegard connect2.0 is useless, slow speeds and the bundles are ridiculously priced. $150 for 20gb, stream Netflix and that’s gone in a couple of hours.
I have a BixWireless 4/5G Verizon modem with unlimited data for a little more than that and the speed is great.
If the signal is poor hopefully my cell will have AT&T service
Old 06-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #33

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethers View Post
My winegard connect2.0 is useless, slow speeds and the bundles are ridiculously priced. $150 for 20gb, stream Netflix and that’s gone in a couple of hours.
I have a BixWireless 4/5G Verizon modem with unlimited data for a little more than that and the speed is great.
If the signal is poor hopefully my cell will have AT&T service
I have a Verizon sim card in the Winegard and it works fine except using data, 30 gb max then they slow you down and that is 50 dollars a month or 15gb for 40 dollars. Right now they are giving me 15gb for 20 dollars a month for wifi hot spot. This modem Bix is that for the home or in the RV?
Old 06-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #34

THOR #20738
It’s for the RV, they do home ones too
Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #35

THOR #20274
Thanks
Old 06-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #36

THOR #20738
They can also provide a unlimited data sim for your Winegard Connect but as I said, everything through my winegard is so slow.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:23 PM   #37

THOR #20274
I've used it for streaming programs in two different campgrounds and it worked great. I haven't tried to use campground WIFi yet on the Winegard
Old 07-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #38

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
TV

Our problem is we are Cardinal Fans. The only streaming service that carries the New Bally Sports is ATTTV. Can't get that on our Weingard antenna. Still pay for Dish because of the $300 investment I made for Weingard antenna but can't watch Cardinal baseball on the road any more.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #39

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by alajeu View Post
Our problem is we are Cardinal Fans. The only streaming service that carries the New Bally Sports is ATTTV. Can't get that on our Weingard antenna. Still pay for Dish because of the $300 investment I made for Weingard antenna but can't watch Cardinal baseball on the road any more.
With dish anywhere you can watch anything that is on your tv at home. If like me you have a Samsung phone or tablet just plug in a cable USB-c to hdmi and watch the game or send it wirelessly to the tv. The other way is to get a Dish usb stick and plug that into the tv and it will allow you to do everything you do at home.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #40

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibstay View Post
Do you use Visible’s Party Pay to reduce your bill to $25?
No RE the Party because we use Verizon for our "normal" phones. We're aware of the Party Pay but since we only use the Visible phone for a couple months a year we chose not to move everything over to Visible...