Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2022, 01:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
My MH is pretty quiet ref. inside noise but outside noise (wind and road noise) and heat from the road and the cat. converter where bothering me so last year I installed the below sound deadening in the front wheel wells and under the floor all the way back to the cat converter.
It really reduced the road noise and the heat from the floor was eliminated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This was a response i read from the dealer on Amazon..
We do not recommend using this material for treatment of engine compartment except for using it as an application for the hood. The best solution would be the treatment of firewall and floor from interior side.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #22

THOR #3923
When insulating the doghouse, are people ripping out the OEM insulation first then installing the sound deadening material, or putting the sound deadening material over the OEM insulation?
Old 09-26-2022, 02:35 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
When insulating the doghouse, are people ripping out the OEM insulation first then installing the sound deadening material, or putting the sound deadening material over the OEM insulation?
"Most" people find the OEM material to be poorly installed with incomplete coverage. They remove the OEM material, reinstall it properly using new material to fill the gaps, glue, and foil tape, and then put a new coat of new material on top of it for a full double thickness.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #24

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
"Most" people find the OEM material to be poorly installed with incomplete coverage. They remove the OEM material, reinstall it properly using new material to fill the gaps, glue, and foil tape, and then put a new coat of new material on top of it for a full double thickness.
Thanks Ted...

What I am finding is that a lot of people used Dynamat Extreme and then Dynamat Hoodliner on top of that.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
This was a response i read from the dealer on Amazon..
We do not recommend using this material for treatment of engine compartment except for using it as an application for the hood. The best solution would be the treatment of firewall and floor from interior side.
Did you read what I wrote?
I DID NOT insulated the dog house but the FLOOR under the coach.
I find the 7.3L V8 very quiet, it is road noise that I was focusing ...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #26

THOR #3923
Quote:
Did you read what I wrote?
I DID NOT insulated the dog house but the FLOOR under the coach.
I find the 7.3L V8 very quiet, it is road noise that I was focusing ...
Yes I did...I was just posting that information so anyone coming across this post would know that they cannot use this material on the doghouse.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #27

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Yes you CAN use Dynamat/Kilmat sound deadening in the doghouse... PROVIDED you cover it with heat insulation.

The doghouse factory foil-backed heat insulation in our 2020 V-10 was just tacked in with a few dabs of glue, and came off easily. I removed it and then applied the Kilmat directly to the doghouse plastic.

Then I used foil tape to re-attach the foil-backed heat insulation OVER the Kilmat. This dramatically reduced engine noise, AND the heat insulation prevents the Kilmat from any heat damage.

There's nothing wrong with using the existing factory heat shielding, provided it can be removed and reinstalled without destroying it. Some are evidently glued on better than others.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:09 PM   #28

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Yes you CAN use Dynamat/Kilmat sound deadening in the doghouse... PROVIDED you cover it with heat insulation.

The doghouse factory foil-backed heat insulation in our 2020 V-10 was just tacked in with a few dabs of glue, and came off easily. I removed it and then applied the Kilmat directly to the doghouse plastic.

Then I used foil tape to re-attach the foil-backed heat insulation OVER the Kilmat. This dramatically reduced engine noise, AND the heat insulation prevents the Kilmat from any heat damage.

There's nothing wrong with using the existing factory heat shielding, provided it can be removed and reinstalled without destroying it. Some are evidently glued on better than others.
Thanks for the info....interesting that you reattached the OEM heat shield over the Kilmat...that's a great idea!

I was reading that Kilmat is just as good as Dynamat, and a lot less expensive, but I wasn't sure, so it's reassuring that you are using it.

Why did you choose Kilmat instead of Dynamat...cost?
Old 09-26-2022, 09:15 PM   #29

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:

The factory insulation on our 2019 chassis V10 was held in by the dog house weather-stripping. I added some sound/heat deadening material, and put the factory insulation/heat barrier back over the top. Fit fine, tucked under weather-stripping and seems plenty secure.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:33 PM   #30

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
The factory insulation on our 2019 chassis V10 was held in by the dog house weather-stripping. I added some sound/heat deadening material, and put the factory insulation/heat barrier back over the top. Fit fine, tucked under weather-stripping and seems plenty secure.

What "deadening material" did you use?
Old 09-26-2022, 10:00 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
What "deadening material" did you use?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PILLZG/
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #32

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
This one I haven't heard of this one. Have to check this one out.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:57 AM   #33

THOR #3923
Quote:
Hey Ted...I'm slightly confused. In your post #10, it was suggested to remove the OEM heat shielding, put the dynamat/kilmat/etc on, then put the OEM heat shield/foil back on top of it.

But your message above, you are suggesting that the dynamat/kilmat to go OVER the OEM material.

It makes more sense to me what you said in post #10...and Nomad.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:28 AM   #34

THOR #3923
Quote:
My MH is pretty quiet ref. inside noise but outside noise (wind and road noise) and heat from the road and the cat. converter where bothering me so last year I installed the below sound deadening in the front wheel wells and under the floor all the way back to the cat converter.
It really reduced the road noise and the heat from the floor was eliminated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So, is this material exposed to the elements? If so, I would think the adhesive would come lose.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:41 AM   #35

THOR #16721
I used the foam below under the dash, in the cab on top of the wheel wells and in the step well beside the seats (class C).
Noico RED 315 mil 9.5 sqft Car Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell Deadening Material (PE Foam Sound Deadener) https://a.co/d/6Tr3bqs
Old 09-27-2022, 04:50 AM   #36

THOR #3923
Quote:
I used the foam below under the dash, in the cab on top of the wheel wells and in the step well beside the seats (class C).
Noico RED 315 mil 9.5 sqft Car Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell Deadening Material (PE Foam Sound Deadener) https://a.co/d/6Tr3bqs
Thanks...the information people have provided here, including suggesting I search using keywords such as "doghouse, dynamat, kilmat, etc", has provided a lot of information.

Also there is information on iRV2 forum...which I have found helpful, but nothing like communicating with people that have the same rigs.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:51 AM   #37

THOR #16721
P.S. Do a forum search for "sound deadening".

You'll get a wealth of knowledge, most of which is simply getting repeated here.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:54 AM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hey Ted...I'm slightly confused. In your post #10, it was suggested to remove the OEM heat shielding, put the dynamat/kilmat/etc on, then put the OEM heat shield/foil back on top of it.

But your message above, you are suggesting that the dynamat/kilmat to go OVER the OEM material.

It makes more sense to me what you said in post #10...and Nomad.
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I think it depends on the coverage and installation of the OEM material. A lot of times it's multiple pieces poorly installed with gaps. Reinstalling it well still gives you gaps to fill and you end up with a jigsaw puzzle. The aftermarket continuous piece helps keep it all together IMHO.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:55 AM   #39

THOR #3923
Quote:
P.S. Do a forum search for "sound deadening".

You'll get a wealth of knowledge, most of which is simply getting repeated here.
Thanks!! That was the first thing I did, but I didn't find much, but perhaps I didn't spell it right or something.

I'm leaning towards using the Kilmat cause of cost but haven't decided. I like the idea of carpeting the cab area floor...I would think that would make a huge difference.

I'm going around in the RV and shaking things...just to see how they rattle. The doors are a HUGE noise generator.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:57 AM   #40

THOR #3923
Quote:
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I think it depends on the coverage and installation of the OEM material. A lot of times it's multiple pieces poorly installed with gaps. Reinstalling it well still gives you gaps to fill and you end up with a jigsaw puzzle. The aftermarket continuous piece helps keep it all together IMHO.
I think it makes more sense what you said in Post #10...that way the sound deadening material is not being exposed to the heat.

I read that you did some modifications, and you provided a link, but I'll be dang if I can find it.