RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2021, 12:56 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Question 2021 Omni XG32 metal brackets fell off

Hi- new to the forum so hope this get to someone who can help. After my first trip (1,200 mi) we returned home an parked the coach in the driveway. Next morning my wife found a metal piece laying in the driveway next to a broken screw. We found a second one at the storage facility which must have fall off before I pulled it off the lot. I have no idea what they are for or where they were attached originally. I crawled around under the coach but no luck.

Best I can tell there are only two brackets. Each appeared to only have one screw despite the two holes. Last resort is to take to a dealer, but trying to avoid that as they are backed up. Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iron pieces from RV.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	28050  
__________________

__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:59 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum...

... and a picture of the mystery brackets would help.
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh67_idaho View Post
Hi- new to the forum so hope this get to someone who can help. After my first trip (1,200 mi) we returned home an parked the coach in the driveway. Next morning my wife found a metal piece laying in the driveway next to a broken screw. We found a second one at the storage facility which must have fall off before I pulled it off the lot. I have no idea what they are for or where they were attached originally. I crawled around under the coach but no luck.

Best I can tell there are only two brackets. Each appeared to only have one screw despite the two holes. Last resort is to take to a dealer, but trying to avoid that as they are backed up. Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.
mearsures 14in longest edge and 1.5in width
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
Slide guides?
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Slide guides?
Based on the location where they were found I believe they dropped from somewhere between the steps/door and the cab on the passenger side, so I guess the living room slide out is possibility though it was on the opposite side. Appreciate suggestion.
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #6
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 80
THOR #19481
So weird, on our first trip this past spring something fell off the XG32 on the highway. Sounded like something that would look like that. Pulled over and went through everything and could never figure out what it was or where it came from.
__________________
RickD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:14 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
So weird, on our first trip this past spring something fell off the XG32 on the highway. Sounded like something that would look like that. Pulled over and went through everything and could never figure out what it was or where it came from.
Yes, very strange. My friend and I were wondering if it is some kind of brace for shipping purposes and should have been removed before it left the factory but that is probably a stretch. Sounds like it didn't cause you any other issues so that's good. thanks for the reply.
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:22 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
RVs are driven: not shipped. Those parts belong on the rig.
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 AM   #9
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,822
THOR #1469
My suggestion is to email Thor and attach a photo and ask them what they are and where they are supposed to go. You can call them first to get a good email address to send the pics.

Chances are your dealer won't know enough about the rig to tell you what those brackets are.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:37 AM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 80
THOR #19481
Good call, please let us know what they say of you do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My suggestion is to email Thor and attach a photo and ask them what they are and where they are supposed to go. You can call them first to get a good email address to send the pics.

Chances are your dealer won't know enough about the rig to tell you what those brackets are.
__________________
RickD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:14 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Thanks for your suggestion.
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:16 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Thanks to all who chimed in. I'm going to contact Thor tomorrow as recommended. I will update the thread once I have an answer/fix.
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,528
THOR #12751
I have an SV34 and have been all over the coach. At first I wasn't sure and then it hit me. I'm in FL and my coach is in PA so I can't confirm but I am 99.9% sure I know what they are.

They are supports for the cab running boards. There is one on each side under the fiberglass running boards around the center of the running boards.

When I was going around the under side of the coach about a year ago, I saw this support on the passenger side. One bolt was broen off and the other loose and the bracket just dangling and ready to fall off.

I am not surprised you only found one bolt. The guys that build these coaches are notorious for using screw guns at max torque such that more than half the fasteners on these coaches have been over tightened to the point the hole gets stripped or the screw becomes fatigued.

On the drivers side I found one screw missing buit the other screw was still tight.

If you crawl under the running boards, you should see the two holes in the chassis frame where the holes line up with these brackets. I recommend getting some grade 5 or 8 bolts and drilling the hole out in the frame if you have to and using nuts and lockwashers instead of the self tapiing screws they used.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
If the Judge says it: I'd bet on it.
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have an SV34 and have been all over the coach. At first I wasn't sure and then it hit me. I'm in FL and my coach is in PA so I can't confirm but I am 99.9% sure I know what they are.

They are supports for the cab running boards. There is one on each side under the fiberglass running boards around the center of the running boards.

When I was going around the under side of the coach about a year ago, I saw this support on the passenger side. One bolt was broen off and the other loose and the bracket just dangling and ready to fall off.

I am not surprised you only found one bolt. The guys that build these coaches are notorious for using screw guns at max torque such that more than half the fasteners on these coaches have been over tightened to the point the hole gets stripped or the screw becomes fatigued.

On the drivers side I found one screw missing buit the other screw was still tight.

If you crawl under the running boards, you should see the two holes in the chassis frame where the holes line up with these brackets. I recommend getting some grade 5 or 8 bolts and drilling the hole out in the frame if you have to and using nuts and lockwashers instead of the self tapiing screws they used.
Thank you. I really appreciate the information and guidance. I will check it out today. Hope you're enjoying some nice weather in FL.
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Omni XG32
State: Idaho
Posts: 8
THOR #21822
Thumbs up

Well, Judge, you were spot on. I see two on each running board. The ones that "failed" were in the same position on either side. There were positioned at the rear, wider section of the running boards. Your suggestion on the fix makes sense. Many thanks for pointing me to the right spot.

For anyone interested, I've attached a picture of what the other backer looks like that is still in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Running board bracket.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	28065  
__________________
mwh67_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:05 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 17,826
THOR #8860
Glad that the problem has been found,and is being solved.
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:57 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
PictureTheSouth's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
Posts: 170
THOR #11007
I've been dreaming lately of selling our house and most possessions, trading our Windsport toward a Magnitude or Omni and retiring on the road.

Parts falling off a new rig isn't exactly boosting my confidence in this dream....
__________________
PictureTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,273
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
RVs are driven: not shipped. Those parts belong on the rig.
MH's are driven not shipped. My RV was towed.

This from the NEC

Part 1. Article 551 defines "recreational vehicle" as a vehicle-type unit used as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use. The four basic entities are travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, and motor home [551.2].
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #20
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 80
THOR #19481
Got a chance today to crawl under my XG32 and low an behold those brackets are missing. I did find where they were screwed on with broken screws. Thanks for everyone's input on this subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh67_idaho View Post
Well, Judge, you were spot on. I see two on each running board. The ones that "failed" were in the same position on either side. There were positioned at the rear, wider section of the running boards. Your suggestion on the fix makes sense. Many thanks for pointing me to the right spot.

For anyone interested, I've attached a picture of what the other backer looks like that is still in place.
__________________

__________________
RickD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
super c undercarriage, troubleshooting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×