Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
DEF quantity

On the Omni/Magnitude on the F550 chassis, is the DEF tank the stock Ford tank, or a thor added and changed one? Online I have seen the quantity listed as 6g but have seen other numbers bantered about.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
On the Omni/Magnitude on the F550 chassis, is the DEF tank the stock Ford tank, or a thor added and changed one? Online I have seen the quantity listed as 6g but have seen other numbers bantered about.
When I had my unit into the Ford dealer to have the DEF fill hose totally rebuilt, they told me that it was the stock tank, and that Thor had rerouted the hose. I think Ford states that the DEF tank hold 7 - 7.3 gals.

This also tracks with the answers in this thread.
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I seriously doubt Thor touches the DEF Tank. The incomplete chassis is 7.2 gallons. Based on my experience that is about right. I was at a high tank and it took me about 3.5 gallons to fill up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 12.03.19 PM.png
Views:	51
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	32921  
Old 08-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I seriously doubt Thor touches the DEF Tank. The incomplete chassis is 7.2 gallons. Based on my experience that is about right. I was at a high tank and it took me about 3.5 gallons to fill up.
I asked about whether thor changes it because my sister had a View on the sprinter chassis and Winnebago moved and changed the DEF tank and put in a smaller on due to space constraints. As such the sprinter owner's manual figure for DEF quantity wasn't valid. With RVs you never know what a manufacturer will do.

In an earlier post about adding DEF, a poster suggested getting the Ford filler hose available also from Amazon. I asked what's the difference between the Ford one and what's on every jug I ever bought. No answer to that. Are you familiar with the Ford one because in pictures it looks like what's on the jugs. A Ford site I was on earlier today said 6g for an incomplete chassis cab super duty.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
THOR doesn't change the tank...they do re-route the hose to accommodate the lower body (camper) than what a regular truck body would be placed at over the frame. Mine is in the LP bay. I added a 2 foot piece of garden hose to the end of the plastic filler cap/tube that comes with the DEF jugs and wrapped Gorilla Tape around the connection point. I reuse that hose when refilling. Otherwise, the way THOR left the filler inlet hanging...below grade and recessed in the storage bay...a regular DEF hose that comes with the jugs isn't long enough. The DEF system is a part of the emission system and cannot be modified by a body builder.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #6

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
THOR doesn't change the tank...they do re-route the hose to accommodate the lower body (camper) than what a regular truck body would be placed at over the frame. Mine is in the LP bay. I added a 2 foot piece of garden hose to the end of the plastic filler cap/tube that comes with the DEF jugs and wrapped Gorilla Tape around the connection point. I reuse that hose when refilling. Otherwise, the way THOR left the filler inlet hanging...below grade and recessed in the storage bay...a regular DEF hose that comes with the jugs isn't long enough. The DEF system is a part of the emission system and cannot be modified by a body builder.
Mine is in the generator compartment which is the left forward most compartment. The hose leaves the filler which is in the upper left corner goes down slightly, then up slightly over the frame to the tank. I just added a 2.5g jug into it with only minimal spilling, several drops. It's a slow process of adding DEF with what they did to the filler tube.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Chucker, I have the same problem - if I fill from the jug, it just back flows out due to the rise of the filler hose. I did the same as Gritz, except that I added about 3 feet of cut off garden hose to a funnel and jam that down the DEF tube, holding the funnel up, then fill. I like Gritz's idea better than mine and will move the hose to a DEF spout. Also, I find it is much easier to fill the tank with the slide in (duh).
Old 08-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
Chucker, I have the same problem - if I fill from the jug, it just back flows out due to the rise of the filler hose. I did the same as Gritz, except that I added about 3 feet of cut off garden hose to a funnel and jam that down the DEF tube, holding the funnel up, then fill. I like Gritz's idea better than mine and will move the hose to a DEF spout. Also, I find it is much easier to fill the tank with the slide in (duh).
More like mandatory. Next time I'm getting low I'm going to look for a station that has it at the pumps and try that. With my previous Ram 3500 dually I tried it once and the pump it delivered faster than the truck could accept it so it burped a bunch out. Was difficult to feather the nozzle.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #9
RCS

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
On my last long trip, I tried to fill the DEF at a truck pump - didn't work because of the combination of too much, too fast and the up hill of the fill tube. Won't try that again!!! YMMV
Old 08-18-2021, 08:19 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post

I’ve done the same thing. I bought a quart funnel with about a two foot clear plastic tube on it. I removed the tube and put on a four foot tube. That lets me get past the dip, let’s the air get out and doesn’t bubble back at me.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

THOR #12751
Ford actually sells a vented nozzle for filling from container. I've never had an issue filling DEF.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-NO...s%2C187&sr=8-3
Old 08-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Ford actually sells a vented nozzle for filling from container. I've never had an issue filling DEF.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-NO...s%2C187&sr=8-3
I've seen that posted before but what's the difference with the ones that come on the jugs?
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 08-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I've seen that posted befornd the but what's the difference with the ones that come on the jugs?
The one that comes with the jugs has a little rubber vent where it screws onto the jug. The Ford version has a tube that runs through the length of the nozzle and then all the way to the bottom of the jug.