Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2022, 08:35 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Come on now. All these MH manufacturers want us to have the most enriching experience of ownership! We buy an overpriced unit and make wonderful plans to hit the open road and see the world. Off we go towing something so we can still get around rather than unhooking all the time. Shortly we figure out that fishing, biking, sightseeing, campfire, lounging, eating, drinking and visiting, gets replaced by parts running, diagnosing, troubleshooting crawling about, and swearing. Of course the visiting neighbor comes over to look see what all the excitement is and regales all of the fun they had over the years too. Eventually you fall asleep at the campfire and either get eaten alive by mosquitoes or a bird craps on you. But heck, you're now enriched with unwanted knowledge and a wonderful assortment of tools, specialty screws, adhesives, tapes, diagnostic tools, manuals, drawings and a cell that is beat to hell from all the adventures! You finally make it back home to relax and reflect on your adventure. Provisions get refilled and your off again for your next fun trip to see the world from in, under, on top of, and within that wonderful MH, but golly are you enriched!

Your cynical friendly sight neighbor.

David

Old 03-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #42

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post
Come on now. All these MH manufacturers want us to have the most enriching experience of ownership! We buy an overpriced unit and make wonderful plans to hit the open road and see the world. Off we go towing something so we can still get around rather than unhooking all the time. Shortly we figure out that fishing, biking, sightseeing, campfire, lounging, eating, drinking and visiting, gets replaced by parts running, diagnosing, troubleshooting crawling about, and swearing. Of course the visiting neighbor comes over to look see what all the excitement is and regales all of the fun they had over the years too. Eventually you fall asleep at the campfire and either get eaten alive by mosquitoes or a bird craps on you. But heck, you're now enriched with unwanted knowledge and a wonderful assortment of tools, specialty screws, adhesives, tapes, diagnostic tools, manuals, drawings and a cell that is beat to hell from all the adventures! You finally make it back home to relax and reflect on your adventure. Provisions get refilled and your off again for your next fun trip to see the world from in, under, on top of, and within that wonderful MH, but golly are you enriched!

David
So David, are you a "glass half full" or glass half empty" guy.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #43

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post

David
What a truthful enjoyable read!
Old 03-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #44

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
What a truthful enjoyable read!
Yes, I love David's description of the RV life and unfortunately it is accurate. Sometimes hobbies can cost a whole lot more than we expect. Reminds me of my foolish young days when I twice attempted to grow a garden. Not that I am not still foolish, but now I know when I am foolish. Back then I would rationalize or blame it on someone else.

My first attempt at a garden was in the early seventies after returning back stateside to Eglin AFB. I rented a house with some acreage and decided to plant a garden. I got things planted and because the local soil was very sandy you had to water it every day. We did not have what the locals called a lawn pump pulling water from the water table and used city water. When we got our first water bill we decided to let the garden die.

In the late seventies we were working in Oak Ridge, TN and purchase a house out in the county. Purchased a garden tiller and planted a garden in the back yard. After fighting insects, varmints, and weeds, we finally got a few tomatoes. Those were the most expensive tomatoes I ever purchased both in terms of dollars and labor. That was my last garden and I decided to pursue other hobbies.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #45

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Yes, I love David's description of the RV life and unfortunately it is accurate. Sometimes hobbies can cost a whole lot more than we expect. Reminds me of my foolish young days when I twice attempted to grow a garden. Not that I am not still foolish, but now I know when I am foolish. Back then I would rationalize or blame it on someone else.

My first attempt at a garden was in the early seventies after returning back stateside to Eglin AFB. I rented a house with some acreage and decided to plant a garden. I got things planted and because the local soil was very sandy you had to water it every day. We did not have what the locals called a lawn pump pulling water from the water table and used city water. When we got our first water bill we decided to let the garden die.

In the late seventies we were working in Oak Ridge, TN and purchase a house out in the county. Purchased a garden tiller and planted a garden in the back yard. After fighting insects, varmints, and weeds, we finally got a few tomatoes. Those were the most expensive tomatoes I ever purchased both in terms of dollars and labor. That was my last garden and I decided to pursue other hobbies.
You probably want to avoid hunting and fishing then. Some of the most expensive fish I ate was caught on a charter. Right now I get free blue crabs. Free if I don't factor in the cost of traps, bait, license, and the dock we fish from.

I try not to think what my "pleasures" cost. Within reason of course. The end of this month we have a trip planned and I know it's going to be more expensive for most things. Fuel especially and to some degree accommodations. But the option is staying home and "planting a garden". We'll shop carefully, take along many foods to avoid last minute purchases, and research fuel pricing and locations. Trip will be about 4000 miles on the RV and 1500 on the toad.

So why is it going to be so much more expensive this year compared to a couple years ago or before? If I told you I'd have to kill you. Or more likely a snowflake would melt and the mods slap me around.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #46

THOR #22586
Quote:
So David, are you a "glass half full" or glass half empty" guy.
He's a glass full type now. Ask him why!!!
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #47

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
I am a full glass guy, beer is good please. Makes the adventure easier.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #48

THOR #21926
So today I decided to change the whole house water filter that was installed at the factory under the bed. It has been almost a year since we picked up the coach and there could be debris in the lines from manufacture. So I unscrewed the housing and to my surprise there was no filter element. Another way Thor saves money on manufacturing cost.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #49

THOR #22586
Quote:
So today I decided to change the whole house water filter that was installed at the factory under the bed. It has been almost a year since we picked up the coach and there could be debris in the lines from manufacture. So I unscrewed the housing and to my surprise there was no filter element. Another way Thor saves money on manufacturing cost.
Every RV I have bought new, which is way to many, the filter element was with the "extra gear" and manuals so not surprising the dealer didn't install it. Depending on which filter element you chose, don't be surprised if you see a significant reduction of pressure and flow rate. Now would also be a good time to remove the aerators from all the faucets and clean them. Likely bunch of crap in them.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #50
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
They are not installed because the rigs are delivered to the dealers in a winterized state.

This is not Thor minimizing costs. This is an owner issue to include not sanitizing the fresh water system before first use as recommended.