Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
From the THOR schematics, it's hard to tell how they wire in an inverter. I got a quote from the dealer (GiantRV) of $3,000 to install an inverter. We didn't talk about how many circuits or what size/manufacturer of the inverter. GiantRV's repair shop had Go Power (gpelectric.com) inverters and panels. I don't know if that is a THOR thing or a dealer thing, but there is a Go Power solar controller in my 28A. It's only good for one panel, so if I want to upgrade (I want to!) the number panels, the controller will have to be replaced, also.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
From the THOR schematics, it's hard to tell how they wire in an inverter. I got a quote from the dealer (GiantRV) of $3,000 to install an inverter. We didn't talk about how many circuits or what size/manufacturer of the inverter. GiantRV's repair shop had Go Power (gpelectric.com) inverters and panels. I don't know if that is a THOR thing or a dealer thing, but there is a Go Power solar controller in my 28A. It's only good for one panel, so if I want to upgrade (I want to!) the number panels, the controller will have to be replaced, also.
If your model doesn’t come with an inverter or have an inverter option the inverter will not be shown on schematics. My Challenger’s schematic clearly shown the inverter circuitry.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If Thor installs an inverter at the factory it is used to power the residential fridge(s) and TV/Entertainment circuits only, usually through an integrated Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) in the inverter. Most people wire aftermarket inverters the same way although large inverters using large battery banks can be wired with a sub-panel to power more AC circuits.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #24

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If your model doesn’t come with an inverter or have an inverter option the inverter will not be shown on schematics. My Challenger’s schematic clearly shown the inverter circuitry.
It is shown on my schematics as "Rental Package".

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 05-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #25

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If Thor installs an inverter at the factory it is used to power the residential fridge(s) and TV/Entertainment circuits only, usually through an integrated Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) in the inverter. Most people wire aftermarket inverters the same way although large inverters using large battery banks can be wired with a sub-panel to power more AC circuits.
Now that's the info I was looking for. Exactly what I thought. Thanks! See above for my inverter plans.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #20738
The inverter only powers some outlets, in my 4winds 31w it only supplies the fridge and bedside outlets, not the living space or kitchen.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
my tech is installing the AIMS 1200/2400 inverter with auto transfer switch now.

He recommended aims
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #28

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvless956c View Post
You don’t need an inverter that big, I have a 2200w and can run my 15k btu a/c on my inverter, only limited by capacity of the batteries
We are talking about factory installations here. At least it started that way.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #29

THOR #20220
my tech is installing a aim Installing a larger inverter, 3000w and transfer switch..recommends if you use micro and wife uses hair dryer etc

install is today
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #30

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
my tech is installing a aim Installing a larger inverter, 3000w and transfer switch..recommends if you use micro and wife uses hair dryer etc

install is today
Are you installing more batteries to go along with that?
Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #31

THOR #20220
He said try what you have for a while and your usage habits to see what is needed. If we need tv phone coffee in the morning you may be ok and he installed a high-end 180 w solar
Old 05-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #32

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
He said try what you have for a while and your usage habits to see what is needed. If we need tv phone coffee in the morning you may be ok and he installed a high-end 180 w solar
I can’t recall...
Did you upgrade your two house batteries?
Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 PM   #33

THOR #20220
Update my ACE rv tech Kurt in billings installed aims 3000w & inverter & transfer switch hooked up Microwave and every single outlet $1600..wonderful!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:57 PM   #34

THOR #20220
update my local tech installed aims 3000w inverter and transfer switch..hooked up microwave and all outlets $1600. He said house batteries and solar 180w are ok. test everything if more power needed he said group 24 Interstate batteries are the best and will solve most issues. Thanks all for all the help
Old 06-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #35

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I see that. Why would THOR offer a Rental Inverter and not one for us common folk! So, i added a 1000W inverter over the batteries and found a hole in the floor where i ran a wire to another outlet in the dinette area. I now have the ability to run the TV on the inverter. I would like to do the same with the Refrigerator. Absolutely no way to find the outlet that pwrs the Refrig. THOR didn't even identify the CB that pwrs the Refrig? I would like to run the refrig when i am driving off the inverter and not run LP gas. Does anyone know where the outlet is for a 2021 THOR ACE 30.4 model?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I see that. Why would THOR offer a Rental Inverter and not one for us common folk! So, i added a 1000W inverter over the batteries and found a hole in the floor where i ran a wire to another outlet in the dinette area. I now have the ability to run the TV on the inverter. I would like to do the same with the Refrigerator. Absolutely no way to find the outlet that pwrs the Refrig. THOR didn't even identify the CB that pwrs the Refrig? I would like to run the refrig when i am driving off the inverter and not run LP gas. Does anyone know where the outlet is for a 2021 THOR ACE 30.4 model?

I don’t have your model but if it’s an absorption fridge the outlet will be in plain sight once you remove the outside vent/cover behind the fridge. I wired mine to my inverter with an ATS so it’ll run on my batteries until I plug in. I don’t have to remember to switch it. I do have to manually switch it to propane or turn off the inverter if I want to run it that way. Easy mod.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:30 PM   #37

THOR #22342
Thank You! i found the plug right where you said it would be! However, THOR has done such a good job of sealing all compartments, there is no way to run a 14 gauge line to the plug. My Refrigerator is on the movable slide. I was thinking of running a wire under the camper up to the fuse box.. I cannot find a penetration point. I will pass on this one... Thanks Again....
Old 06-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Thank You! i found the plug right where you said it would be! However, THOR has done such a good job of sealing all compartments, there is no way to run a 14 gauge line to the plug. My Refrigerator is on the movable slide. I was thinking of running a wire under the camper up to the fuse box.. I cannot find a penetration point. I will pass on this one... Thanks Again....
You should have an inverter powered duplex receptacle on the left side of the bed for a CPAP, another in the electronics chubby (mine is above the frig). and one associated with the bedroom TV. Before I rewired the RV, we ran a 14 awg extension cord for the bedroom TV to the portable ice maker when on the road.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #39

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Very good. Best laid plans and all that. I had to drill an appropriately sized hole in the bottom of the compartment near the plug. In my case it was into a cabinet from which it was an easy run to my inverter. I sealed around the wire with caulk.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #40

THOR #22342
RV Refrigerator powered by inverter not LP Gas

While driving during the summer months, i started using the LP gas to keep the refrigerator cool during driving. While refueling it is required to turn off refrigerator and close LP gas line.

I have decided, in the safety consideration of potentially refueling with the LP gas running in the refrigerator, i decided to add a 110V switch to my 1000W inverter.

Now, when i disconnect from Shore pwr and drive off the RV camp. I switch over to the Inverter to keep my refrigerator cool. This isnt a difficult hookup, but takes many hrs to run a line to the pwr center in the RV (THOR could have put a conduit in). Hook up a switch that either takes Shore pwr from the CB panel or the 110V Inverter to the refrigerator.

I have included a picutre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	31722