Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2022, 02:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Propane while driving

Still getting familar with our "new" 2005 Chateau and I have a question for the gurus. My rig has a Norcold 611rt refregerator that runs on 120v or propane if I understand the manual. While driving

to and from campsites am I to understand I should turn off the propane? Seems a bit counter intuitive but thought I should ask. What's the scoop here folks?

Old 02-16-2022, 02:31 AM   #2

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
We always travel with the refrigerator "ON", using propane. I don't even turn it off when I am filling gas (though you should turn OFF when filling up gas). Never had any problem with our Travel Trailer, Class C and now Class A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Still getting familar with our "new" 2005 Chateau and I have a question for the gurus. My rig has a Norcold 611rt refregerator that runs on 120v or propane if I understand the manual. While driving

to and from campsites am I to understand I should turn off the propane? Seems a bit counter intuitive but thought I should ask. What's the scoop here folks?
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:57 AM   #3
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
We always travel with the refrigerator "ON", using propane. I don't even turn it off when I am filling gas (though you should turn OFF when filling up gas). Never had any problem with our Travel Trailer, Class C and now Class A.
Until the slight wind blows the propane into the back of the fridge while it tries to light its burner or the burner is on. If the person who fill the tank does their job properly, they will turn the propane valve off at the tank and back on once filled. Every time I get mine filled, that is what they do.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:15 AM   #4

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I was talking about when filling up gasoline (not propane). I dont turn off my refrigerator when filling up gasoline. I ALWAYS turn off refrigerator and propane tank when filling propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Until the slight wind blows the propane into the back of the fridge while it tries to light its burner or the burner is on. If the person who fill the tank does their job properly, they will turn the propane valve off at the tank and back on once filled. Every time I get mine filled, that is what they do.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
As ador said, turn the propane on and leave it on unless you need to fill the tank or are storing the RV for more than a few weeks. You SHOULD have your Furnace, Water Heater, and Fridge OFF when filling with gas but that ranks up there with not using your cell phone while gassing up. Driving with the fridge on and running on propane is one of the reasons you have that propane ability.

Some tunnels and ferries will require that you turn off the propane at the tank while transiting, but otherwise ignore the Safety Sally's that have heard the unsubstantiated horror stories of RVs burning to the ground from the fridge while driving and never drive with the propane on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:12 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Propane stays on 24/7* in our rig unless we are filling the propane tank.
*(We also shut off the fridge when fueling the motorhome.)
Turning off an absorption refrigerator that is full of food for any extended length of time is not a good idea. They do not recover the way a compressor driven fridge will.
If you have never owned an absorption fridge before you will find it is hard enough to maintain a consistent temperature. My wife calls me the fridge NAZI as I am constantly ragging at her to close the door. These aren't your home fridge, opening the door to poke around and peer at what you may or may not want to take out will warm the whole fridge above a safe level quickly & getting it cold again takes time. Turning it off while traveling is a recipe for spoiled food IMO.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:28 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
For ours it depends on the season. Spring and fall we leave the propane on, no different then using the house heater. During the summer since it’s typically in the 100s anywhere you go in the west coast we run the generator for the AC so the fridge runs on electric. Some places won’t let you use propane for safety reasons just follow the rules.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:48 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 28A
THOR #25443
So turn off fridge when refueling vehicle and shut off propane when refilling. Sounds right to me. The biggest safety danger appears to be forgetting to turn the fridge back on after gas up and arriving at campsite to warm beer and melted ice cream not to mention very angry wife?
Old 02-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
So turn off fridge when refueling vehicle and shut off propane when refilling. Sounds right to me. The biggest safety danger appears to be forgetting to turn the fridge back on after gas up and arriving at campsite to warm beer and melted ice cream not to mention very angry wife?
Old 02-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
While travelling I just leave it in the auto mode. If it senses the generator running or on shore power it goes to the electric mode. If no generator or shore power detected, it goes to the propane mode.

Paul
Old 02-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We leave it on, and run the Fridge on it while driving...
We use AC power while parked.
Since our Fridge is a "Triple-Threat": I've also got 12 volt power available; but have never needed to use it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We leave it on, and run the Fridge on it while driving...
We use AC power while parked.
Since our Fridge is a "Triple-Threat": I've also got 12 volt power available; but have never needed to use it.
We had a Dometic 3 way in a 1990 Coachman B. I am curious does your newer version have an Auto mode Bob? Or is the fridge manual selection like are old one was?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
This is one reason why I want to install an inverter. If it runs the circuit that powers the fridge, then you would not be using propane. While driving, the batteries are being charged by the engine. While camping and plugged in, the same thing. While dry camping, I would manually turn the fridge to gas.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Propane on, fridge set to "auto" & have a nice trip. If needed while traveling I've also ran the furnace, but definitely turned it off while fueling as it's like blast furnace, fridge was left on.
The fridge/propane on while fueling a motorhome may be different, depending on which side of the vehicle the appliances are on, than with a towable rv, typically the rv is well behind where you are filling the tow vehicle so not much threat.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:07 PM   #15
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
We leave it on auto all the time. Never shut off when gassing up. That said, I also installed a (Gas Stop) safety valve so if any of the main lines running throughout the rig get cut, broken or eaten, it will shut off 100% of the gas immediately. (And NO the Regulator does not shut off the gas 100% in the event of a broken line)
It also works great as a leak checker
https://www.amazon.com/GasStop-Propa...a-942470313792
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Stop Photo.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	36149  
Old 02-16-2022, 05:17 PM   #16

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
When I had 3 way fridges in the past I always ran with propane on while on the road. I would turn the fridge on the night before departure to get it nice and cold and then leave it on. While in storage I would turn it off just because I could.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:59 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We had a Dometic 3 way in a 1990 Coachman B. I am curious does your newer version have an Auto mode Bob? Or is the fridge manual selection like are old one was?
Ours does have an Auto mode...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:09 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
We leave it on auto all the time. Never shut off when gassing up. That said, I also installed a (Gas Stop) safety valve so if any of the main lines running throughout the rig get cut, broken or eaten, it will shut off 100% of the gas immediately. (And NO the Regulator does not shut off the gas 100% in the event of a broken line)
This looks to be a great safety feature. How many out there are using this?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:15 PM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
All newer propane tanks that are ASME which should be all on RV's have an excess flow valve similar to the one on your barbecue grill.

Don't hurt to have two on the system

So unless you have an 80's vintage camper with original tanks you already have an excess flow valve, same for the 30, 40 pound tanks as well
Old 02-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
This is one reason why I want to install an inverter. If it runs the circuit that powers the fridge, then you would not be using propane. While driving, the batteries are being charged by the engine. While camping and plugged in, the same thing. While dry camping, I would manually turn the fridge to gas.

I do that with my coaches. You can buy a small inverter to dedicate to the fridge for under $100. But my coach has a 1000watt unit that rarely does much of anything so I just use that. Also buy a dedicated ATS for the fridge circuit so it automatically will switch to shore or generator power when it’s available. I only use propane when I actually want to, for some reason. Which is rare.