Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #23306
Quantum Inverter Replacement

Ok.. it is time for me to replace the factory installed Xantrex 1000 inverter with something a bit larger (I would really like to be able to run the microwave in the morning and possibly the A/C a bit at night).
I know the existing is not large enough to handle the microwave and i am looking at the Renogy 3000w with 2 solar panels. I currently have 2 AGM 92A AGM deep cycle batteries, planning to add 2 more.

The question is....
The Xantrex has a built in transfer switch so when I am connected to shore power or running the generator, the inverter is not working, and when on battery power, the inverter runs the fridge and a few specified outlets (the outlets work on SP and Generator, but not inverter ... separate issue)..

The Renogy does not have a transfer switch and only runs from battery.
Would I be better off with another Xantrex that has the ATS or the Renogy, with a different method to power the fridge and outlets while on SP or Generator?

I know there will be costs involved here, but I want to get what I really need up front and not have to worry about getting something different later. I plan to add Solar to this rig at some point. I know that I should also be replacing the factory WFCO WF-8955PEC Converter / Charger, but where to start is also the question.
I also know that I will need to re-wire the circuit for the microwave so it can also be powered by the inverter.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, like I said, I want to get it right the first time and not have to add more $$ to swap out things later.

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:50 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You want an inverter with a transfer switch if you have a residential fridge. If you get one without an ATS, your fridge won't be running while you are traveling on the road... unless you run your generator the whole time. You also risk losing food in your fridge if you loose shore power for a long time when you are not around.

I had a Xantrex Freedom X 2000 in my '20 Magnitude. After upgrading to 850Ah of LiFePO4 batteries last year, I upgraded the inverter to the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000 (has a built-in ATS) last spring since I already had the Xantrex Bluetooth Remote Panel.

I also rewired the coach so I can have any circuit run from the inverter. I also installed a subpanel on the inverter output, which Thor should do but they do not. I can run one of the 13,500 BTU A/C units without a problem. It can also run the microwave. But batteries are everything. You will only have 50% of the power available to use with your AGM batteries... so that won't be a lot to run an A/C very long.

The Freedom XC Pro is an Inverter / Charger, which will be much better than your WFCO Converter so you can just unplug and you won't have to replace it. I had already upgraded to a Progressive Dynamics Converter but the Xantrex Freedom XC does a much better job charging the batteries. It is extremely configurable and the charging efficiency is much better because the batteries and connected directly to the Inverter / Charger with shorter and heavier cables as compared to the long cable run to the Converter.

I like Renogy. I have their flexible solar panels and their 30A MPPT Charger Controller. I just decided to stick with Xantrex because it was plug-n-play for my application and I have been happy with Xantrex products as well.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGropp View Post
Ok.. it is time for me to replace the factory installed Xantrex 1000 inverter with something a bit larger (I would really like to be able to run the microwave in the morning and possibly the A/C a bit at night).
I know the existing is not large enough to handle the microwave and i am looking at the Renogy 3000w with 2 solar panels. I currently have 2 AGM 92A AGM deep cycle batteries, planning to add 2 more.

The question is....
The Xantrex has a built in transfer switch so when I am connected to shore power or running the generator, the inverter is not working, and when on battery power, the inverter runs the fridge and a few specified outlets (the outlets work on SP and Generator, but not inverter ... separate issue)..

The Renogy does not have a transfer switch and only runs from battery.
Would I be better off with another Xantrex that has the ATS or the Renogy, with a different method to power the fridge and outlets while on SP or Generator?

I know there will be costs involved here, but I want to get what I really need up front and not have to worry about getting something different later. I plan to add Solar to this rig at some point. I know that I should also be replacing the factory WFCO WF-8955PEC Converter / Charger, but where to start is also the question.
I also know that I will need to re-wire the circuit for the microwave so it can also be powered by the inverter.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, like I said, I want to get it right the first time and not have to add more $$ to swap out things later.

Thank you in advance.
Go with the Xantrex Freedom 2000 or 3000. It has a 30 amp pass though. I changed out my Xantrex Pro 1000 for a Xantrex Freedom Xi 2000 and it runs the microwave and the portable ice maker fine off the two group 29 batteries. Just be aware the Freedom X is much larger than the Pro series and will require a separate control panel. I would recommend the Freedom Xi 2000 but is no longer made.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #4

THOR #23306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The Freedom XC Pro is an Inverter / Charger, which will be much better than your WFCO Converter so you can just unplug and you won't have to replace it.
Are you saying that the Freedom XC Pro would be a replacement for the WFCO and the existing inverter (or am I mis-reading this)?
Old 08-24-2022, 09:14 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Are you saying that the Freedom XC Pro would be a replacement for the WFCO and the existing inverter (or am I mis-reading this)?

Exactly!

An Inverter / Charger eliminates the need for a Converter/ Charger.

[emoji106]
Old 08-24-2022, 09:31 PM   #6

THOR #23306
So this changes a large bit of what I am thinking.. I had planned to replace the WFCO, I believe it's not up to the task here. If your saying I could put this in place of that unit (and the inverter under the fridge), I need to re-examine my plans and I need to start to layout the changes I am gonna make to this coach.
You mentioned that you can select which circuit you want to run from the inverter, would you happen to have more detail about this?? I would be really interested to see how I could make this work in my RV .
If this lays out like I think, it's going to make a huge difference in how things get modified.
Thank you for responding!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:54 PM   #7

THOR #6411
Quote:
You have three large electrical components that end up taking care of your electrical needs. The largest is the power center where all the 120/240 volt circuit breakers are located and the 12 volt fuses for the main part of the coach are located. In a gas coach, the bottom compartment of the power center contain a charger of 45 to 85 amps @ 12 volt. The converter is separate from the inverter and the power center, so you can mix converter manufactures with power center manufactures.
The three large power center: WFCO, PPS (Siemons) and Progressive Dynamics. All these manufactures sell up fit converters of each others power centers.
Xantrex and Magnum are the two large inverter and inverter/charger manufacturers. If you are planning to go with LiFePo4 batteries, this will most probably require changing the charger. Newer coaches come with a charger that can be switched to accommodate LIP batteries. Older coaches require charger replacement. Usually, it will be cheaper to by the combo if you plan on replacing both. The downside limited choice and if one side of the combo fails, you have to replace the entire unit.

I found I did not have space for the combo inverter/charger in the electrical bay under the bed, so I had to stick with separate smaller units.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #8

THOR #6411
Quote:
So this changes a large bit of what I am thinking.. I had planned to replace the WFCO, I believe it's not up to the task here. If your saying I could put this in place of that unit (and the inverter under the fridge), I need to re-examine my plans and I need to start to layout the changes I am gonna make to this coach.
You mentioned that you can select which circuit you want to run from the inverter, would you happen to have more detail about this?? I would be really interested to see how I could make this work in my RV .
If this lays out like I think, it's going to make a huge difference in how things get modified.
Usually is requires an electrical sub panel for the inverter output. The microwave is now wired to the 20 amp CB per the DWs request.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0614_094939AA.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	39241  
Old 08-25-2022, 12:46 AM   #9

THOR #12751
Quantum Inverter Replacement

Quote:

So I rewired my coach differently than others. I posted a thread about it.

I added a subpanel to the inverter output so the fridge and TV circuits had a 15A breaker per Xantrex recommendations. The way Thor wires these coaches they do not add a breaker on the output of the Inverter the way they should.

My power distribution panel had one open breaker spot on each line. I added a 20A breaker to each line. I then ran 12/3 SOOW from the inverter output subpanel and split it so one hot wire went to one breaker for Line 1 and the other hot wire went to the other breaker for Line 2. Then the neutral went to the neutral busbar and the ground to the ground busbar.

These two new breakers are always off when on shore or generator power. When I want to use the inverter to power an A/C, microwave or some other circuit, I turn off my 50A main breaker and also turn off the breaker to the Inverter input. I then turn on each 20A breaker so the inverter backfeeds the power distribution panel and all of the relevant circuits.

This is basically how my house is wired when I want to run a generator if I lose power.

I am very pleased with the Xantrex Freedom Pro XC 3000 Inverter / Charger. I can power anything I want and it has enough power to start the A/C without a SoftStart installed. The Charger also works very well charging my LiFePO4 batteries as well.