Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
RonRM, how about a photo of your Hose routing & the Metal Elbow since this Thread is about it . Start a new one on you electrical issue . One thing , seems you have tested the output at the Alternator & it was "0" , is this correct ? If so ,that would tell me the Alternator is not working properly .
Pics posted...

Alternator is not at zero, it's at battery voltage, confirmed with meter - matches BMPro display. Coach battery voltage at 13.2, Chassis battery voltage at 14.1/.2 when engine running with RPM's above 1500. Whatever gates the alternator to kick on (usually a regulator of sorts), isn't enabling.

2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:45 PM   #102

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Thanks for taking the Photo's , looks like a metal Elbow of some sort & a Clamp to keep it there .

Modern Alternator should be internally regulated .
Old 09-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #103

THOR #27874
Yep, looks like they did both the coolant and the A/C line to clear the belt.

There are Balmar XT's that have internal regulators, this one does not. (XT-PM-170-K6 170A 12V, PM MT, K6 SERP PULLY). 'PM' - promaster, specific use for this specific device. I started a new thread, explaining what Balmar and Thor told me.

Either way, it's a relatively simple fix - get the right signals to the devices (ignition, field, power). The hard part is the yoga required to get at in all the nooks and crannies they squirreled this stuff into.

Ron
Old 09-06-2022, 10:30 PM   #104

THOR #27874
I started a new thread to isolate the belt issue from charging issues.

I did fix my issue - see 2023 - Tellaro 20L Balmar Alternator not charging for the pics/solution
Old 09-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #105
JCB

Model: Tellaro
State: Washington
THOR #27994
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
Has anyone had trouble with the serpentine belt modification for the Ballamar Altenator/Genrator on the Reliable Lithium option cutting the radiator hose? We have only owned our vehicle for 4 months and have cut through two hoses in 5,000 miles. If you own the Tellaro with the Lithium option you should check under the passenger side behind the front wheel for clearance. I think it might be a Thor Design flaw.
2021 Tellaro 20AT 800Ah with same issue. Our rig is at our local Ram dealership (approaching 1 month) with no resolution in sight. As stated, this is definitely a Thor design issue! I will definitely keep watch for any of your updates and, of course, post any news we get on our end. Hopefully we both will get good news soon!!
Old 09-19-2022, 01:32 AM   #106

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Oklahoma
THOR #26690
Hi JCB,
I had taken my Tellaro in to Dodge/Ram back in May. They took 2 weeks to look at it and told me that it was a Thor Modification to the Promaster Engine and that Thor would have to make any modifications to Thor Modifications. I than took out to Camping world for 2 more weeks back in June. Thor was unable to come up with a fix to this design flaw than. I have been told I would have a modification in a a couple of more weeks via a molded hose replacement. That was 4 months ago. I still have a very expensive paper weight in my drive way. I had a voice mail from customer service last Friday. I am now being informed that ASG will be contacting me directly? I don’t even know who they are. I will call Thor tomorrow. How many miles on your 2021 Tellaro and how did you know you had a problem?
Glenn
Old 09-19-2022, 02:19 AM   #107
JCB

Model: Tellaro
State: Washington
THOR #27994
Quote:
Hi JCB,
I had taken my Tellaro in to Dodge/Ram back in May. They took 2 weeks to look at it and told me that it was a Thor Modification to the Promaster Engine and that Thor would have to make any modifications to Thor Modifications. I than took out to Camping world for 2 more weeks back in June. Thor was unable to come up with a fix to this design flaw than. I have been told I would have a modification in a a couple of more weeks via a molded hose replacement. That was 4 months ago. I still have a very expensive paper weight in my drive way. I had a voice mail from customer service last Friday. I am now being informed that ASG will be contacting me directly? I don’t even know who they are. I will call Thor tomorrow. How many miles on your 2021 Tellaro and how did you know you had a problem?
Glenn
Hi Glenn - thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear this repair's been such a hassle for you, too. We've got ~6k miles on ours. After about an hour long drive home, we were unpacking the van from the weekend trip when we first smelled the coolant - looked under and saw the river. That was in mid-July. Silver lining (?) that it didn't happen on the freeway. Anxious to hear who this ASG is and what they have to say. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #108

State: Colorado
THOR #28780
Quote:
Hi JCB,
Glenn
Hi Glenn and JCB
I'm new to this forum. After 6,000 miles I just had my 2022 Tellaro spring a coolant leak with a similar issue. Trying to find someone to work on it in the Denver area has been a struggle.
Just wondering if you guys were able to finally get a fix and parts authorized by Thor.
Thank you
hikinabout
Old 01-04-2023, 04:19 PM   #109

THOR #27874
Just to pile on a bit...

My 2023 20L just sitting in the driveway, winterized with the cover on it...started a coolant leak in below 0 temps.

Truly a WTH/F moment, went out and saw a pink puddle in the snow under the UHG.

I believe the geniuses at Thor used a metal pipe (bent to clear the UHG pulley - preventing what you guys are having issues with), that has an incompatible thermo dynamic characteristics with respect to the radiator hose that it is diverting....in english, the metal pipe shrinks faster, in extreme cold, than the radiator hose. The clamps loosen up and coolant leaks out.

This started at around 0F to -15F in the past weeks. Now that it is back in the 30's/40'sF - no more leaks.

The fix to clear the pulley is clearly a hack job, zero thought put into it...probably an understatement.

I can just hear the conversation in my head...

"Hey, the guys on the shop floor found some pipe from the swing set we took down in the employee play-ground"
"Cool, lets bend it in a few directions, cut the radiator hose and clamp it in"
"Should we test it...Nah, why bother we just need to clear the pulley"
"See, problem solved no more cutting the hose...everybody gets their bonus"

Ron
Old 02-06-2023, 07:02 AM   #110

THOR #28560
Mine leaks too when cold, puddle about the size of a plate on a smooth driveway. THOR IS TERRIBLE.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #111

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgia View Post
Mine leaks too when cold, puddle about the size of a plate on a smooth driveway. THOR IS TERRIBLE.

Just bought mine on Tuesday. Does the same thing. It was 35 yesterday and no dripping.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:14 PM   #112

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
…..cut…..

I believe the geniuses at Thor used a metal pipe (bent to clear the UHG pulley - preventing what you guys are having issues with), that has an incompatible thermo dynamic characteristics with respect to the radiator hose that it is diverting....in english, the metal pipe shrinks faster, in extreme cold, than the radiator hose. The clamps loosen up and coolant leaks out.

……cut…..
I have never seen that happen when the respective diameters are correct, and hose is clamped down tightly with a quality clamp; regardless of nipple material. Different metals expand at different rates, but I don’t believe it is enough to cause a hose to leak under normal temperatures (excluding Siberia ).

If I had to guess, I would first question if the selected “pipe” is too small in diameter for the hose being used. I would also be curious to know if the “pipe” extension/elbow has barb ends?
Old 02-06-2023, 11:48 PM   #113

THOR #27874
It's crazy...smooth pipe, wrong clamp...everything about the design is wrong.

Like I said, they just cut up a playground swing set for parts...no thought whatsoever.

If you read through other forums, this is a very common problem. What's even more ironic, the dealers and even Ram...is confused when they bring it in and nothing is leaking (that's probably because it's hot by then and expanded).

Mine does it leak thing below zero, I didn't tighten anything and have had no leaks in the teens-40's.

I'm sure better clamp nice and tight is the fix.

Ron
Old 02-07-2023, 06:01 AM   #114

State: Oklahoma
THOR #26690
Yes they finally did come up with a fix. Smaller OD Radiator hose like I had suggested. Appears to be holding up . It took 7 months for Thor Engineering to send a technician from Elkhardt Indiana down to Tulsa Oklahoma to install the exact same hose with the same length and OD I had sent photos to them of 7 months earlier that I was told would "void the warranty" if I installed. They had already provide the suggested fix on all of their 2023 B-Van Tellaros and Sequences with the Reliable Lithium package months earlier.

I just came off a 30 day 4,000 mile trip to Florida and the fix is fine. You can click on the audio Icon on the pioneer radio and get to the "Maestro Application" which shows a variety of gauges including RPM, Speed, Engine Temperature, Manifold Intake Temperature and most importantly Engine Coolant temperature in exact degrees. The Penstar runs a little hot with the coolant when warmed up 200 to 220 so don't be alarmed it is normal. You can also get all of your Tire Pressures with a graphics including the exact tires. You can set tire warnings too. Nice tool if you haven't found it yet.

The fist night of our trip I turned on the water pump and the van started leaking at the toilet, the rear spray port and the sink!!! Try RVing for a month in a B-Van with your spouse and no running water... that will separate the men from the boys! I am sure the connections and little internal gaskets dried out after sitting for 8 months in my driveway. Goes into service tomorrow.

Thor does stand behind their products...eventually. If you are on this thread and have similar issues with your lower radiator hose being cut let Thor know you need the new hose. Good luck and I want to thank everyone on this thread all these many months for their input and support. Get in your RV and go have some adventures!!
Old 02-10-2023, 12:43 AM   #115

THOR #27874
Good to know about the app on the pioneer unit, thanks for the heads up.

Too bad about the water leak, after all Thor designed it as a 'wet bath', I suppose that means it's ok if it leaks

I agree, Thor does eventually come though. I've had my issues, and each time Thor support/service did what they could to my satisfaction. Those folks would have a way easier job if engineering and manufacturing would step up.

Ron
Old 02-11-2023, 10:35 PM   #116

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #25939
I completely agree. Still try and get Thor to fix it. Do not tell them about the Mod. If you have additional warranty claim just remove it.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #117
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Alternator and radiator hose kit

This "may" be what people are looking for. It is listed on my component serial number list for my 23 Tellaro. I haven't checked to see if it matches exactly what is on my Promaster but it does look like it was developed to address the hose and belt conflict. It's dated August of 22. It describes the alternator bracket and the hose routing.

Mike

Correction: It's from June of 22.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VRK3092V-6.pdf (1.49 MB, 57 views)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:19 PM   #118

THOR #27874
Nice find...Mike!
Old 10-28-2023, 03:46 AM   #119

Model: Thor Sequence 20L
THOR #23892
My belt just shredded. Only put a notch in the hose.

2021 Sequence with 800 aH Reliable package. 48K miles
Old 10-28-2023, 03:50 AM   #120

Model: Thor Sequence 20L
THOR #23892
Picture of shredding belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231026_185335831.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	133.7 KB