Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2021, 04:37 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Have mom do some test-drives to see what's comfortable for her.
Gary

GVP

Old 08-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #24440
Thanks everyone! I think we have, after a very very roundabout meandering journey of several months, settled on a sprinter based class C. To my Wife's credit, she said this is where we would end up pretty much day one, but it took a while to bring my Mother (and myself) around to this being the best option.

Last weekend we managed to get a dealer to offer some test drives, so first we drove a 34 foot class A that she had fallen in love with. She did fine, maneuvering around a tight parking lot, but you could tell it was intimidating. After that, we went to another location and test drove a sprinter, a Winnebago View. I fully expected her to drive that and instantly see how much easier it was, and decide right away that was what she wanted. Instead, she says "Wow, this is SOOOO easy, I could drive something way bigger than this!" Not exactly what I had in mind. But after we looked at more options, and talked everything through, we both decided that something like that is the ideal option for her, and it is close to ideal for us as well. I will have to load VERY lightly to tow, but otherwise the maneuverability and versatility will be a huge benefit for our small family and the kinds of adventures we want to go on. Now that we have a model and floorplan, the hunt for our exact RV begins!
Old 08-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #23

State: California
THOR #2709
Red face

Heck ya...I've got 3 years on her and am currently the only driver of our 32.5 Hurricane Class A. The only problem I have is with the back seat driver in the passenger seat. Seriously, though in CA, so probably wherever you are, there as RV driving schools that aren't that expensive and use your own coach. Before I tackled all the driving I watched a few YouTube videos as well.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #24

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThothTP View Post
Thanks everyone! I think we have, after a very very roundabout meandering journey of several months, settled on a sprinter based class C. To my Wife's credit, she said this is where we would end up pretty much day one, but it took a while to bring my Mother (and myself) around to this being the best option.

Last weekend we managed to get a dealer to offer some test drives, so first we drove a 34 foot class A that she had fallen in love with. She did fine, maneuvering around a tight parking lot, but you could tell it was intimidating. After that, we went to another location and test drove a sprinter, a Winnebago View. I fully expected her to drive that and instantly see how much easier it was, and decide right away that was what she wanted. Instead, she says "Wow, this is SOOOO easy, I could drive something way bigger than this!" Not exactly what I had in mind. But after we looked at more options, and talked everything through, we both decided that something like that is the ideal option for her, and it is close to ideal for us as well. I will have to load VERY lightly to tow, but otherwise the maneuverability and versatility will be a huge benefit for our small family and the kinds of adventures we want to go on. Now that we have a model and floorplan, the hunt for our exact RV begins!
That's awesome-congratulations!
Gary
Old 08-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #25

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Good luck on the hunt for a great deal on your choice. We are on our 2nd Sprinter based motor home and recently started towing our car with us. We are now looking into 2023 and going to a Class A to better fit our needs. The reason for the first 2 Sprinters was that my wife wanted something she felt comfortable driving. With many miles under our belt we are looking to move up to a larger unit in a Class A.

Paul
Old 08-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Wife is 72, took her out driving E450 based Vegas. Her history was dragging trailers in past (horse. Equopment) was no issue in traffic and highway. She actually towed my open trailer with drag car 90 miles to track with no issues. Said RV seemed to track better with trailer.

We have freinds with sprinter based inits, one is 80 and goes to dog shows all over SE by herself.

The only thing my wife would have issues on her own would be drain hoses, she has arthritis and not much strength in hands.

Otherwise she can fully handle unit without issue.

I take her through set up to keep her up to date in event something happens at track.