Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Northern Michigan

Just want to drop a comment about northern Michigan. If you've never been, try it. It may not be be for everybody but it was for me. The upper and lower peninsulas meet best in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City. I'd recommend the Carp River State Park north of there. It's a nice drive to the harbor to catch the ferry out to the island. Cut your path and enjoy.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My Missus has a bunch of family from up in "Youper
Country".
Very pretty; but the Winters can get... Interesting!
Old 07-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
My Missus has a bunch of family from up in "Youper
Country".
Very pretty; but the Winters can get... Interesting!
Naaah, you can even camp up there in the winter:

Just because my cousin can't see the tops of her greenhouses until June (she lives in the Keweenaw) doesn't mean it isn't fun

You didn't even mention black fly season--they get so big they carry you away.

Other than that: The UP is awesome. Don't forget to make a stop at The City of Houghton's RV park its pretty nice too (the campground hosts there are the nicest people).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	25012

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	25013
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
With enough brandy: you can even sleep outside!
Black flies? You must be talking about the smaller cousins to our Adirondack versions.
We measure them by the distance between their eyes.
A three-incher needs to be shot immediately: otherwise he'll go back to the swarm, and get his big brothers!
Old 07-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #5

THOR #12189
[QUOTE=JamieGeek;244301]Naaah, you can even camp up there in the winter: cut..

Just because my cousin can't see the tops of her greenhouses until June (she lives in the Keweenaw) doesn't mean it isn't fun

You didn't even mention black fly season--they get so big they carry you away.

Other than that: The UP is awesome. Don't forget to make a stop at [cut...] The City of Houghton's RV park[/url] its pretty nice too (the campground hosts there are the nicest people).

Not sure about the pics but have what may be a better idea to share? Try Hancock Recreational Area. A short drive to the same places and not so crowded or parking lot like. BTW, the drive? Freakin awesome.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #6

THOR #12189
Quote:
Black flies? You must be talking about the smaller cousins to our Adirondack versions.
A three-incher needs to be shot immediately: otherwise he'll go back to the swarm, and get his big brothers!
Dude, I drove here from Seney, MI and I have these little specs of bugs I can wipe away with my hands. Not that you're completely incorrect because there are squitos and what the locals call deer flies (we call them horse flies). I was outdoors for 4 days straight and got bit once by a horse fly and twice by squitos. May they rest in peace. Chiggers were another another story.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I had an Adirondack deerfly dig a hole through my L.L.Bean chamois shirt; to get to me...
He paid dearly for his bloodlust!
They're called "deerflies": because they can get that big!
Old 07-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #8

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob denman View Post
i had an adirondack deerfly dig a hole through my l.l.bean chamois shirt; to get to me...
He paid dearly for his bloodlust!
They're called "deerflies": Because they can get that big!
lol!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
One of our first RV trips was up the Wisconsin side of the lake into the UP. All the way to the end then back down on the east side of the lake. It was a fabulous trip and possibly the single biggest influence in our decision to trade in our 8 month old Freedom Elite on a class A and get more serious about traveling. 39 states in 4 years - and counting! Enjoy your travels.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:54 AM   #10

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

cut...

Other than that: The UP is awesome. Don't forget to make a stop at The City of Houghton's RV park its pretty nice too (the campground hosts there are the nicest people).

cut...
I just left Keweenaw. I stayed on the other side of the river in Hancock County Park. Have to tell you. Other than a barking dog they fixed right away, you can't go wrong. They have a beach and pavilions less than three blocks down but take the trail near the lake. It's a nice walk.

If you feel ambitious, there's a trail in back of the restrooms and showers that leads to the lake. Nice walk in both directions. Make a left and go up the boat ramp road. There's a trail to your right that'll take you to the beach/park. Dogs are not permitted in the park.

The sites aren't completely level but not so bad you can't compensate if you come prepared. The surrounding area is made up of two nice maritime towns and those kinds of amenities. The staff was more than accommodating. Houghton hosts Michigan Tech. There's a Walmart there if you need to grocer up. The peple are pleasant.

The whole trip was pleasant. Michigan DOT offered resting places for weary travelers all along the way. Seney, MI has a township campground for 15/nt with a beautiful approach from any direction and a short distance to day trips. I found that in the towed.

If trail riding is your thing you opened a can of worms. Too many miles to count. Look to the side of the road for snowmobile and ATV trail signs and crossings. They have their own street signs. Makes you think.

Beautiful place and everyone knows it. Play your cards right and you'll enjoy the experience. Don't forget to stop along the way and take in some of the scenic overlooks. I'm almost certain it'll be worth the extra time.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #11

THOR #12189
Quote:
You're nuts. That's all.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
We have been to the UP several times for snowmobiling in the winter. Its beautiful country and great riding.

We did tow the Spyder up there a couple years ago to ride round in June. The bugs were about as bad as it gets. We stopped at White Fish Pointe and were swarmed.

Then we stopped somewhere else and my wife and sister-in-law wanted to hike down to the lake Superior shore through some woods. My brother-in-law and I said no way..... after 5 minutes the women came running chased by a swarm of bugs. After the next stop I opened the trunk of the Spyder and a few of them flew out!

I definitely prefer the UP in the winter.... even if it is only 10 degrees.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #13

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
We have been to the UP several times for snowmobiling in the winter. Its beautiful country and great riding.

We did tow the Spyder up there a couple years ago to ride round in June. The bugs were about as bad as it gets. We stopped at White Fish Pointe and were swarmed.

Then we stopped somewhere else and my wife and sister-in-law wanted to hike down to the lake Superior shore through some woods. My brother-in-law and I said no way..... after 5 minutes the women came running chased by a swarm of bugs. After the next stop I opened the trunk of the Spyder and a few of them flew out!

I definitely prefer the UP in the winter.... even if it is only 10 degrees.
Now that's weird. I drove all over the place up there and nary a bug. The front of my RV stayed so clean I thought I was losing my eyesight. Strange how things like that can and do happen. I took the roads that hug the great lakes coasts. Stopped at some of the scenic pull-offs. Gorgeous. I have a pano shot of this but loads sideways in the forum. Safe Travels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200720_093108.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	25293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200720_093120.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	25294  

Old 07-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
There is definately a "bug season" up there. If you're there during the two weeks its pretty intense, if not you are good. (I believe the bad time is mid to late August.)

When we have made the trip to the UP its always been in June or July and the bugs haven't been that bad.

Just love it UP there (2nd best place in the state is just "below" in the Northern lower penninsula). There is a reason I-75 North out of Detroit is always backed up on Friday's and I-75 South is backed up on Sunday's during the summer LOL (even in Winter with skiing its still pretty busy).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #15

THOR #12189
Where to next?

One of the challenges I face in not having to be anywhere is where next? I came up from Tucson, through UT and SD, down to Nebraska for a short detour then back up through SD to the UP. I did the lower peninsula an took in the thumb From Port Austin to Harbor beach, back through the UP to the horn. I could only get as far as Hancock before the campgrounds weren't to be had at any price.

I headed back west along the coasts and wound up in South Range, WI. No offense to the folks living here but there's absolutely nothing going on. I'm held up in a RV park trying to use google maps to figure out where next. So far, I'm coming up empty. I'd like to stay up north until the weather starts to dictate otherwise. I'd like to stay west of OH and away from IN. The roads will break an RV in two and the gas stations are very tight (I'm 53' total).

Open to suggestions. Leaving tomorrow and may just start driving and see what happens.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #16

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
We love it. We go in August not many bugs
Old 07-31-2020, 12:15 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
If the breeze is onshore no bugs. When it's dead or offshore forget it, the Lake Superior shore is bug city.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:22 AM   #18

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
If the breeze is onshore no bugs. When it's dead or offshore forget it, the Lake Superior shore is bug city.
Breeze has a 6 wheeled RV. Last I heard, they can't swim.

Sorry, couldn't pass that up.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:30 AM   #19

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
No but they can scuba dive (once).
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:27 AM   #20