Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
We recently returned from a 4,400 mile trip from Big Bear Lake in Southern CA to Iron River WI. We averaged 7.8 mpg, 68 mph on interstate and 55 to 60 mph on 2 lane. We covered 13 states, One NP, One NM and Crazy horse.

Most surisingly good 2 lane roads was WI - 63, Worst 2 lanes IA, boring 210 MN, gross city Fargo, disappoint state ND, surprising beautiful ste wester SD, Mt Rushmore was fantastic, Grand Tetons were fantastic, highway 89 through SD most scenic surprise love those Box Elders, worst drivers 15 mile radius of Las Vegas, highest temperature 110 in NV and UT, Biggest City Salt Lake, smallest WY and ID around 150 souls, coldest area Duluth MN low 60's and most boring states ND and MN, highest sustained winds 45 mph - Fargo, highest gusts 65 mph western states.

Breakdowns none. Samson tires on the front - wow, handling mods front and rear trackbars, Roadmaster steering stabilizer and front Summo springs wow!

Great Trip.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #22

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
I notice Arizona is not on your list. Specifically Phoenix I think would make SW Florida #2.
It has been a couple years since we traveled out to Phoenix so that is why is was not on my list of places we just went this summer. I agree, they certainly are not very courteous in and around Phoenix.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #23

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
We recently returned from a 4,400 mile trip from Big Bear Lake in Southern CA to Iron River WI. We averaged 7.8 mpg, 68 mph on interstate and 55 to 60 mph on 2 lane. We covered 13 states, One NP, One NM and Crazy horse.

Most surisingly good 2 lane roads was WI - 63, Worst 2 lanes IA, boring 210 MN, gross city Fargo, disappoint state ND, surprising beautiful ste wester SD, Mt Rushmore was fantastic, Grand Tetons were fantastic, highway 89 through SD most scenic surprise love those Box Elders, worst drivers 15 mile radius of Las Vegas, highest temperature 110 in NV and UT, Biggest City Salt Lake, smallest WY and ID around 150 souls, coldest area Duluth MN low 60's and most boring states ND and MN, highest sustained winds 45 mph - Fargo, highest gusts 65 mph western states.

Breakdowns none. Samson tires on the front - wow, handling mods front and rear trackbars, Roadmaster steering stabilizer and front Summo springs wow!

Great Trip.
Nice breakdown of everything. You must have one heck of a good navigator!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #24

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Nice breakdown of everything. You must have one heck of a good navigator!
We used Garmin, iMaps and AAA maps. Sometimes the Garmin became very obstinate almost unusable. We had to be in Waterloo for a memorial service and a 4 day stay then on to Iron River, WI which I could do in my sleep.

I. Have spent months in the Boundary Waters so I wanted to drive through MN to Fargo. Each night we searched for things to go and see the next day. We decided to stay north and do as many 2 lanes as possible. As a result we didn't take the shortest routes at all and really saw things we wanted to. And.... we got a Bottle of Red Ass Wine too!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #25

State: Utah
THOR #7797
Southern Utah and Northern Idaho/Montana

Too difficult to pick the best state, so Southern Utah, Northern Idaho, Northern and western wyoming, and parts of Montana.