Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: North Carolina
THOR #1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmgsteve View Post
I'm about to embark on my first "real" road trip. A little concerned about finding accessible fuel stops for an ACE with a minivan on a tow dolly along the way (don't want to get trapped in a bad situation). See some websites like RV gas buddy, but when i randomly picked a location and viewed overhead images, it was suggesting something in an industrial park really off the beaten path! Would love some advice/suggestions.
I like Pilot and FJ. Stop and get their guide to where they have stations. Google and you'll see the special stations with nice pull thru for RVs. I pull a Honda CRV behind my Miramar. Other places like Walmart have some pull thru if they are convenient. We keep a log of where we know of friendly stations and plan our gas stops accordingly.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #22

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I have found most Pilot/FJs are ok. There are some that are just geared toward cars (with the bays for diesel for the trucks). Many of them have a seperate lane just for RVs where you can get fuel and dump too. Get the Pilot/FJ app on your phone and you can find them that way.

One thing to consider is that if the pumps are setup so they are parallel to the store, you can probably get in and out ok. If you have to drive toward the store to get out, there may not be enough room to turn.

Many SAMS Club stores are in tight spaces (from what I have seen). Many Costco stores have a lane that on one end you can get thru okay. Taking a look at the satellite view and streetview will help. Just be sure if you have to turn when exiting, that your tail will not swing into the pump in a tight spot.
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:04 AM   #23

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
We are on our 15th day of our trip. Been to Dayton, OH, Pensacola, FL, New Orleans, LA and are currently at KOA in San Antonio, TX. We have been exclusively using Love’s gas station as we find them to have a bit more room to maneuver, even at Auto lanes. But as someone had already mentioned, you sometimes have to wait for the right lane (after you carefully check which one). You may even have to wait for some parked cars to leave to clear your turn going out. We have an ACE 33.1, pulling a mini cooper on a dolly, which approximately out us at around 45-48 ft.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:11 AM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Whether towing or not…
Wherever I fill it’s all about “time of day”

My goal is to fill before 6am or after 9pm, but never during the 9am to 6pm peak awake hours. Especially at the value-priced fuel stations.

I find that if I avoid normal “awake” hours when I fuel up, wherever I travel, I have no issues maneuvering thru the pumps.

It does take a little planning though.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #25

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We pretty much stick with truck stops. If we go places not on trucking routes we top off. We use TSD trying to save on the massive increase in fuel cost in 2021. We also signed on to a fueling company that caters to commercial in rural west states (Diesel and DEF). No attendants and usually no roofs. Just pull in punch in a code and on our way. My guest is there is something similar back east. CNF is one back there. Usually in the sticks and less than others in those locations.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:58 PM   #26

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
It’s not nearly as difficult as you are thinking. Most truck stops (Flying J/Pilot, Loves, TAs have enough room for you to get in and out. If you have their cards you can save a few dollars also. It just takes a pretty good understanding of your turn radius and some planning. As other have mentioned vendor websites, google areal photos etc.. can be very helpful. I have pulled of the interstate to refuel only to pass up a station that was too tight (Don’t wait until you are out of gas to refill). Good luck, have fun and stay safe.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:22 PM   #27

Model: Chateau 26B
State: California
THOR #24288
Thumbs up on "COSTCO".
Old 07-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #28

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
AND...don't wait till you need gas/fuel to stop for it...it will never be good. I have 2 tanks, one 40g and a 28g...total of 68g. I always fuel up when it's 20-25 gallons down. It gives me peace of mind I can keep moving if there's an issue. I always fuel up just before we get to campground JIC. We were in Mayberry (Mt. Airy) NC when the pipeline issue exploded. It sure was comforting to know I was full and had a range of over 600 miles on the tanks. It takes the stress out. Plus, if I had to run generator for any reason I had plenty of fuel to do so.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:57 AM   #29

State: Minnesota
THOR #26244
What is POI's in GIS? Never mind. Must mean points of interest.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #30

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandynSuesTravelinTime View Post
What is POI's in GIS? Never mind. Must mean points of interest.
It took me over 200 posts to figure out all these abbreviations!

Tags
fuel stops